Ruger No. 1

PDA

Neal Bloom
December 24, 2002, 05:51 PM
Just picked up a Ruger No. 1 in 30-06. Got it in a trade for services. Excellent condition with a scope. The trigger is very light. What are the pros and cons of this rifle? Mainly going to use it to hunt deer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger No. 1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hipower22
December 24, 2002, 06:14 PM
I have a Ruger No. 3 in .45-70 (O.K., so I'm old-fashioned). Same action as the No. 1, different finger lever and the stock ain't as pretty the action is as strong as any you will find anywhere and it is fun to shoot. The trigger is adjustable so you should be able to make it heavier if you want to.

cratz2
December 24, 2002, 09:23 PM
Pros? High quality, beautiful, accurate, beautiful, reliable ignition, beautiful.

Cons? There are no cons to a No 1. Unless your a poor shot.

cdbeaver
December 24, 2002, 10:07 PM
I beg to differ about the Ruger No. 1. I bought a new one in .22-250 caliber and regretted it at once.

The trigger pull was abominable. No rifle I have ever owned has such a horrible trigger pull. And after-market replacement (Moyers) made a huge difference for the better.

The real trouble began when I shot the rifle. The chamber was egg-shaped. Once-fired cartridges could not be re-chambered unless they were re-oriented exactly as they had been the first time.

Accuracy has not been all that great. I'm trying to work up a good prairie dog load, but winter weather has taken the enjoyment out of shooting from the bench. Tell you more in the spring.

All-in-all, I am very unimpressed. It'd sell it for the right price.

burrhead
December 24, 2002, 10:14 PM
cdbeaver, I'd call Ruger about that chamber. Bet they'll make it right.

telewinz
December 24, 2002, 10:17 PM
I've had a #3 in 45/70 and 30/40 Krag and a #1 in 30/06. Its a strong high-class rifle, you will be proud and enjoy it greatly!

Tamara
December 25, 2002, 09:21 AM
Well, they're beautiful and fairly light and compact. Accuracy is only middlin'-fair, and the trigger (as you may have deduced from the above commentary) is hit or miss. I love the trigger on mine, but I've felt some horrible ones, too, and it seems almost like the gun was designed to have very little that can be done to adjust the trigger short of replacing it altogether. Another upside is that it's possibly the most bomb-proof rifle on the market today; that action is hell-for-strong...

Anyway, I've wanted a No.1 RSI for years now, and finally got one in .243 last fall; I haven't been disappointed.

Enjoy your '06!:)

Gewehr98
December 25, 2002, 02:52 PM
When I bought my #1S from a consignment a while ago, the owner's manual wasn't in the box. Ruger wasted no time at all getting one to me after I gave them a phone call.

I keep hearing about the horrible triggers on later #1 rifles, but the trigger in my #1S in .45-70 actually breaks fairly cleanly. Pity about how they went with short throats in the recent .45-70's, though. The bullets are right into the rifling when seated at the cannelure. Wonder why Ruger did that so late in the production run?

WYO
December 25, 2002, 10:06 PM
Everyone I know who hunts with one is an expert hunter and marksman. (Me, I don't have one.)

Erik
December 25, 2002, 10:39 PM
I fall into the 'I like them camp.'

One of these days, when I find the right one, I hope to move my tent over to the 'I love them camp.'

cratz2
December 25, 2002, 11:08 PM
I've found Ruger triggers to be hit and miss in general, not just the No 1. For all but the most remote living among us should be able to find a 'smith that will fix the factory trigger for $50 or so.

That's the first I've ever heard of a malformed chamber. cdbeaver, I'd be willing to bet your issue with the chamber is extremely rare. Or possibly a bad batch.

I have experience with a 22-250 Varmint with the gray stock, a 243 and a 6.5x55 standard weight and 308 full stock. All are plenty accurate. I will say that only the 22-250 came with a good trigger. None were atrocious but the other three have been worked on.

All in all, they are nice rifles which, like many others, benefit from a bit of tweaking. As was said, most I know that have a No 1, are very fine sportspersons. ;)

9mmepiphany
December 27, 2002, 06:54 PM
the only negative thing i have heard about the #1 has to do with mounting scopes on the rib...

somthing about different metals expanding at different rates and causing changes in POI...the recommendation for an accurate #1 is to go with the mounting blocks of the #1V model

rock jock
December 27, 2002, 07:14 PM
Accuracy is hit or miss. If a miss, try inserting an O ring under the hanger screw to free float the forearm.

Delta
January 1, 2003, 12:20 PM
I have a #1 in 25-06.
It is the most accurate rifle I have in my collection, I use it for Deer hunting, varmints, Long Range out 450yds. Anything past that, no good.

Has a tuned trigger that will break clean.
:cool:

My first post

Happy New Year

Bill

Snake Jenkins
January 1, 2003, 12:55 PM
I own three #1's one in .25-06, one in .280 Ackley Improved, and one in .375 H&H Magnum. The .280 AI is the most accurate, and the .25-06 had the best trigger pull out of the box. My only complaint with the #1 is the fact that I don't have more of them.

Snake

Gewehr98
January 1, 2003, 04:01 PM
I keep hankering after another Ruger #1. That stainless/gray laminate version keeps beckoning me. Must resist...

cdbeaver
January 1, 2003, 04:41 PM
Shooting friend of mine owns seven (7) No. 1 Rugers ranging in calibers .22-250 to 4.16 Rigby and .45-70. Do you think maybe he has a fetish?

Naw, he just loves that No. 1 and is looking to pick up another one or two.

Actually, I don't hate mine; I just wish the factory trigger pull and chamber had turned out better. It's one of the most beautiful firearms ever crafted (but don't tell Ruger I said that), and I've lusted after one for many years.

Mine is no lightweight, though. It's the No. 1V heavy barrel job.

Snake Jenkins
January 1, 2003, 06:19 PM
Gewehr98 I know what you mean there's a SS Number 1 in 7 STW that is seducing me pretty hard :D But I've also thought of buying an action and mating a Douglass #4 conture (sp) barrel on it and chambering it in 6.5x55 for giggles and grins.

Snake

Gewehr98
January 1, 2003, 08:26 PM
Ruger #1 in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. Accurate and good looks, all in the same package!

Snake Jenkins
January 1, 2003, 09:43 PM
That's what I was thinking. Plus it gives me another cart. to load for:D

Snake

cratz2
January 2, 2003, 02:46 AM
That stainless/gray laminate version keeps beckoning me.

I know what you mean. The 22-250 I started shooting was the in-law's No 1 Varmint. Stainless with the gray... man oh man that is a beautiful rifle.

Not quite the same thing, but there is a Ruger 77 with the gray laminate on gunbroker in the best caliber I don't have - the 257 Roberts. Seems just a bit high. If he comes down to $500, I'll try to get it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=6758486

pinetree64
January 2, 2003, 06:55 PM
I have a #1 in 45/70. It is a great shooter. I shot a clover leaf at 200yards though I use it to hunt in heavy cover. I've only taken one deer with mine. It is amazing how fast you can reload. I have a wrist band that holds 2 shells.

tjg

slabsides
January 3, 2003, 10:04 PM
Seems to me that quality of the #1 has varied a lot over the years. My pard and I have owned 5 of them. My first year of production .222 Remington has a gorgeous feather grain stock and shoots like a target rifle. I bought it from a gunsmith who had already adjusted the trigger perfectly. I only needed to clean up the forend inletting a bit, to get a true half-minute pest rifle. My pard had a 1970's era #3, also with a very pretty stock, in .30-40 as I recall. It wouldn't shoot for beans, and he traded it for a HB 6mm Remington. That wouldn't shoot either, so he sold it and bought a 7mm Mauser RSI. It was an 'Inch and a half' rifle, and took a couple of whitetails and one bear, but someone offered him a kings' ransom for it. We next invested in a very nicely stocked and fitted .45-70, which will, as many of this caliber do, print clover leafs off the bench with loads that approach .458 Winchester power. The perfect moose and bear rifle, this will be a permanent addition to the battery. Conclusion, if it wants to shoot it will, and very well. There are lots of tricks that fanciers of the model have developed to overcome inaccuracy, mostly involving forend pressure adjustments, but the average #1 only needs checking out with a few loads to find the one it likes, and then it'll give perfect satisfaction. Otherwise, sell it and try again!

hipower22
January 5, 2003, 01:41 AM
pinetree64 ,

What, if anything, have you done to your No. 1 to get it to shoot so well. Mine is a No. 3 - basically the same rifle - and while its accuracy is not bad it is not as good as that. I have removed the barrel band and shortened the fore end so that apart from not having a pistol grip, it's not much different to the No. 1. I've been told that these rifles need to have some upward pressure on the barrel at the tip of the fore end so I fitted a filler there. Something to do with barrel vibration.

Some years ago I had the opportunity to buy a No.3 in .223 for $250. Been kicking myself ever since.

buttrap
January 5, 2003, 06:47 AM
The only gripe I have with the No-1 guns is the blocks on the V models are way too close together for a big scope. On the guns with the rib mounts pull the rib and file or sand off about 1/64 from the rear of the rib base and that will cure about 80% of the stringing problem when you are shooting one enough to get it heated up.

Gewehr98
January 5, 2003, 10:28 PM
Is to not beat the living bejeezus out of myself with 2000+fps 405gr .45-70 loads. My flinch has a bad habit of opening up groups.

Went back to the basics today, loading 450gr swaged lead bullets, Crisco lubed, on top of a Wonder Wad, 55gr of FFg, and 5gr of WW231. Groups came back again, nice and tight, voila! :D

http://mauser98.com/rugerbenchsmall.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger No. 1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!