A few questions

PDA

hurrakane212
March 14, 2006, 09:50 PM
Alright. I am going to buy several rifles in the next 5 years. I have a few questions about certian ones.

1. I definitley want a lever action. Probably 30-30. How does a 30-30 compare to a .308 or '06?
How do the .357/.38 & .44 special/Mag lever actions fare ballistically?

2. Gotta have a medium bore bolt action... '06 or .308? any other suggestions when ammo price and availability is a factor?

3. Can't leave out varmint rifles. .22 WMR vs .223 vs .22 hornet.

Any opinions?
~Nathan

If you enjoyed reading about "A few questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dakotasin
March 14, 2006, 10:11 PM
1- it doesn't. its an apples and oranges comparison. the 308 and '06 thrive in bolt guns (stronger) and generate a lot more pressure (translates to power) at the cost of handiness and weight. if you are really thinking lever, also consider the 35 rem. wish i woulda done that instead of 30-30 for my levergun.

i have no firsthand knowledge of the handgun cartridges in carbines.

2- about anything you can think of. that field is wide open. a 308 is a good, safe, honest choice.

3- apples to oranges again. of the 3, i would pick 223 everytime. my preference would be for 22-250 in centerfire, and 22 lr in rimfire (2 rifles, not one to try to cover it all).

If you enjoyed reading about "A few questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!