Remington Spartan...

PDA

TrafficMan
March 15, 2006, 12:18 AM
handled one in 20ga. today.

was NOT impressed. gritty action, not attractive.

kind of shopping around a bit for an O/U, scratch this one off my list i guess.

price was good though, shade under 500 bones. Made in Russia.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Spartan..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Scoupe
March 15, 2006, 12:00 PM
I pretty much agree with you, but...

In comparison to the Turkish guns (which are often a lot prettier than the Russian guns) that also sell in that price range, the Spartan/Baikal beats them hands down in function and reliability.

Lonestar.45
March 15, 2006, 01:39 PM
I was recently in the market for a cheaper O/U. I looked at the Mossberg Silver Reserves, the Remington Spartans, and a Yildiz (a Turkish gun available only through Academy stores in the South). I ended up with the Yildiz.

The Spartans I looked at, to me, reminded me exactly of my Romanian WASR AK. The metal finishing was rough on the inside. On one example, when looking down the barrel, you could see that the vent rib was actually warped to the right. I thought I was going to cut myself on some of the metal burrs. The wood was lackluster. Okay for a field gun, but overall just bulky and did not swing well for me.

I liked the Mossbergs, but I'd read about a lot of the problems with the firing pins on the lower chamber denting the chamber.

I decided on the Yildiz. The fit and finish was just much better. I'll see how she holds up I guess. Briley warranties these guns for 3 years. They make chokes for the gun, and do any and all warranty work, so I feel confident that it's a good gun. Briley is a quality outfit.

STiTkacik
March 15, 2006, 09:43 PM
I've never seen a Yildiz gun. Do you have any pictures of yours?

Lonestar.45
March 16, 2006, 01:32 AM
I don't have any pics yet, but hopefully I can get some this weekend. Here's a link to their site. http://www.yildizshotgun.com/over_and_unders.htm
Mine is the 3rd one down on the page. They do not come with those goofy swivels. Only 3 or so of the models shown are actually being imported. The plain, and the "special", in 12 and 20 gauge.

ArmedBear
March 16, 2006, 03:15 PM
They don't import any with English stocks, do they?

ATAShooter
March 19, 2006, 06:55 PM
I saw the Spartan trap single last year at the Grand... Na, I think I'll stick with the model 12.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Spartan..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!