Need advice on semi-auto rifle

PDA

holmux
March 15, 2006, 12:41 AM
I want to get a semi-auto rifle in a 30.06 or higher, mainly for hunting, but have no idear what to get, or what to look for.
Am i selling out on accuracy by getting a semi-auto ?
I like the idear about a quick focus on the next shot, but this is all teori for me since i have never fired a semi-auto rifle.

Any advice ??

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advice on semi-auto rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pumpkinheaver
March 15, 2006, 12:45 AM
Remington
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_750_woodsmaster.asp

Bennelli

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/r1-comfortech.tpl

mnrivrat
March 15, 2006, 12:47 AM
The two that jumped quickly to mind are the Browning BAR and the Remington 7400 .

Of the two , I recommend the Browning .

GD
March 15, 2006, 12:49 AM
Most semiautos have enough accuracy for deer hunting. That quick second shot should be an advantage, but I have never had a problem getting a second shot off in time with my bolt guns either. I have hunted with an M1 Garand which is 30-06 calibre but one shot was all I ever needed out of that rifle.

'Card
March 15, 2006, 01:12 AM
First of all, no - you're not selling out on accuracy at all. While it's true that a bolt-action is probably more accurate out of the box, the differences we're talking about with modern firearms are so minor that they really aren't relevant for most hunting applications. If you're shooting at something that's 300 yards away, then it might be an issue, but for most of us - at least most of us in the eastern half of the US, that simply isn't an issue.

Now, the guns. As I see it, you have five primary choices when it comes to semi-auto hunting rifles in .30-06. You can't really go wrong with any of them, and which one you choose is mostly just a matter of how much you want to pay.

1. Remington 7400 (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_7400.asp)
Pros: Been around virtually unchanged for decades. Tried and true. Easy to find parts and aftermarket stuff for.
Cons: Been around virtually unchanged for decades. Some don't consider it very reliable. Only available now with a black synthetic stock.
Weight: 7.5 pounds.
MSRP: $589.00

2. Remington Model 750 Woodsmaster (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_750_woodsmaster.asp)
Pros: Brand new. This is the first year of production. Beautiful looks. I like what I read from Remington about this one.
Cons: Brand new, so we don't know much about it yet. It will be hard to find aftermarket gadgets for it for a few years.
Weight: 7.5 pounds.
MSRP: $732.00

3. Winchester SXR (http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=531&type_id=008&cat=016C)
Pros: Gorgeous. Brand new for this year. First serious autoloader from Winchester in years, and I'm really happy to see that.
Cons: It's the first serious autoloader from Winchester in years, so like the Remington 750, it's untested at this point.
Weight: 7 pounds.
MSRP: $811.00

4. Browning Automatic Rifle (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/category.asp?value=002B) (BAR)
I can't really give you the pros and cons of this one, because Browning makes about a half-dozen different versions of the BAR chambered in .30-06. Generally speaking, they're more expensive and usually heavier than the Winchester or Remington autoloaders, but they're rock-solid and reliable. They're well-supported by the aftermarket stuff, and Browning's service-after-the-sale always gets high marks from people I know who own one.
MSRP: Usually $900+, depending on the model.

5. Benelli R1 Comfortech Rifle (http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/r1-comfortech.tpl)
I'll be honest here and say I don't know a thing about this critter. Looks really sweet. I like what they say about it, but regardless of my budget, I'm just not going to pay over $1300 for a rifle I'm going to take out in the woods and abuse like a rented mule. If that price point isn't an issue for you, and you go with one of these, please post here and let us know what you think about it.

holmux
March 15, 2006, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the replyes, i have read about the benelli, but i am from Europe (temporary transfered to our US branch) and as long as i am here, i will buy a rifle made in the US.
I just looked at the Winthester, i will take a closer look at this gun.

Thanks

ReadyontheRight
March 15, 2006, 02:18 AM
If you want made in the USA and new, you may have only Remington as an option.

The 7400 is a great deer rifle. Especially for the price. Just keep it clean, don't scratch the muzzle crown and don't confuse it with a battle rifle just because you can buy higher-capacity aftermarket mags.

That 750 looks pretty nice.

If you can move down to .308, Another option would be a Springfield M1A (http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-rifles-socom.shtml).

Bigfoot
March 15, 2006, 02:18 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Tough to beat the information posted by Card, but that never stopped me before.:)

The BAR is made by FN in in Belgium, my 30-06 BAR is assembled in Portugal, very high quality guns and should shoot MOA or less with good loading. The new ShortTrac in .308 weighs just over 6.5 lbs., tough to beat for dense woods hunting IMO. http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=002B&cat_id=031&type_id=328 I want a .338Win Mag BAR, the gas system absorbs much of the recoil, so I try real hard to justify buying one for elk hunts. But realisiticly, at woods ranges, a .308 with 180 gr bullets is plenty even for 1000 lb. Roosevelt elk.

The new Winchester is a rebadged BAR (corporate cousins) so it should be similar but nobody that I know of has any details yet. You should know that this is one of the few guns that Winchester sells anymore, they import almost everything now. Will they even be around to back the guns that they sell but don't manufacture?

I'm one of those that considers the Remington a bad original design. They have done quick fixes and redesignations to it for 50 years now. Have they really solved the bolt-to-reciever battering problem this time? I think they just changed the gas metering system to slow down the bolt. I'd wait and see on this one.

Some people will put down the semis, then they might talk about "real world hunting accuracy" so thier point is moot. In the real world, especially if you hunt hogs or tough to bring down critters like elk, fast follow-up shots are good options to have.

ReadyontheRight
March 15, 2006, 02:24 AM
Difficult to put a scope on, but an M1 Garand is always a favorite autoloader choice. And a lot of fun to shoot. It could also get you into some competition shooting.

Crosshair
March 15, 2006, 02:35 AM
Has Remington fixed all the problems with the 7400 in the new Model 750? The 7400 has a bad rap for being unreliable in rapid fire and difficult to clean the gas system.

beerslurpy
March 15, 2006, 03:29 AM
Saiga 100 in 30-06.

Dragunov in 9.3x64 if you can find one.

Lobotomy Boy
March 15, 2006, 12:02 PM
I think readyontheright was correct about the only American-made option for a new gun is the 7400 now that Winchester has quit building rifles in the U.S. I would stay away from the 7400 in .30-06 caliber. Most of the problems I've heard of have involved longer rounds like the .30-06; people generally seem more satisfied with the shorter rounds like the .308.

The M1 Garand is another option, but those are some heavy guns, and the price is getting high enough that a person would be a fool to tap the receiver to mount a scope.

My own choice would be a Browning with a short-action round like the .308. I was planning to buy a BAR Lightweight Stalker for a brush gun, but am now considering a 6.8 Remington SPC upper for my AR instead, provided the round is legal for deer hunting in Minnesota.

rangerruck
March 15, 2006, 12:05 PM
saiga, saiga, saiga, in 308.

jd25q
March 15, 2006, 12:52 PM
The "fast second shot" as we read so often in marketing hype is really the last thing I would consider in a firearm. It may be better described as the "useless second shot". If you couldn't hit the animal the first time, how would you hit it the second when it's moving, and probably farther away? The exception to this may be in hunting dangerous game. However, for anything larger than bear, the rifles aren't powerful enough.

The Remington and Brownings are very nice rifles. But consider that they are heavy compared to a good bolt action, and yes they will generally be less accurate. They also tolerate neglect less than other action types.

The positives of an automatic for hunting is that a good one will be sufficiently accurate for hunting and they will recoil less (due in part to the weight and the springs in the action).

The biggest factor for me is the weight. Save a couple of pounds and get a bolt action.

'Card
March 15, 2006, 04:04 PM
It may be better described as the 'useless second shot'. If you couldn't hit the animal the first time, how would you hit it the second when it's moving, and probably farther away?
I disagree pretty strongly with that, but I'm not going to argue the point with you too much - other than to say that the type of terrain and style of hunting (tree stand, stalking, stationary, etc.) a person does has a lot of influence on their selection of rifle, and there are many environments and situations where I think the semi-auto is the superior choice. I'd also add that in some of those environments (thick, rugged, steep terrain with heavy underbrush) "one-shot one-kill" sounds really nice, but the ability to quickly tag a deer a second time can spare you the all-too-common experience of spending hours trying to track an animal through brush you can't even crawl through.

Hunting is not a one-size-fits-all proposition. Terrain varies. Hunters vary. Styles of hunting vary, and the animals vary significantly by size, diet, and habit. Blanket statements implying that your solution should be everyone's solution aren't really appropriate to the discussion.

ArmedBear
March 15, 2006, 05:42 PM
The new 750 looks beautiful.

I'd lean towards the 7600, Remington's excellent pump rifle. If you can shoot a pump shotgun well, you should be able to fire is as fast as you need to. Works fine in .30-06.

A BAR is not notably different in weight from a Browning A-bolt, nor is the 750 any heavier than a 700. Maybe a couple of ounces, defninitely NOT a couple of pounds.

Yes, you can get an ultralight boltie, but in a caliber larger than .30-06, why would you want to? Evidently this hunter wants followup shots, not a mountain rifle.

Another thought... The BLR, Browning's accurate lever gun that comes in magnum rifle calibers, is in the same weight range as a little Remington Model 7 boltie.

GD
March 15, 2006, 05:50 PM
There is no need to drill and tap a Garand to mount a scope. The B Square mount I use is rock solid and attaches to the rear sight mount. A shooter grade Garand with scope and mount should be similar in price to the other rifles mentioned. My entire setup cost me about $450 five years ago.

holmux
March 15, 2006, 11:30 PM
Thanks again for all Your inputs, i will get back when after i buy my gun and give a review.

Thanks

greg531mi
March 16, 2006, 07:27 AM
Too bad they don't make the HK 770 or SL-7.....oh they are 308....the also made the 940 in 30-06....used prices are way up there though.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advice on semi-auto rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!