Advice wanted on bushingless 45.

PDA

tracer
April 17, 2003, 06:20 PM
I am looking at 1911's and wanted input on which to buy.I want a mid length (4 "or 5" ?) with a bull barrel .Any suggestions? I prefer Springfield or Kimber but am looking for advice.
Thanks

tracer

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice wanted on bushingless 45." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
critter
April 17, 2003, 06:28 PM
I have a Kimber compact stainless which has the bushingless, 'bull' or at least bulbous barrel. It is my primary carry piece. Great accuracy, 100% reliable, easy to carry/conceal and plenty of power to do the required job. I live the thing.

Stonecove
April 17, 2003, 08:16 PM
I've got a Eclipse Pro (4"0) and love it too, however I have a harder time shooting the 4" accurately. I even rented a 5" to see if it was the gun, and came to the conclusion that 1" does make a difference. (I heard that in another context once Hum...)

blades67
April 18, 2003, 01:07 AM
Get the Kimber. How's that for some advice?:D

shaynster
April 18, 2003, 01:10 AM
I have the perfect gun for you! A Kimber Pro CDP.

This gun has not been fired and is in perfect condition! It comes with all the papers that come with it and 2 mags. I've had it for a couple months and am selling it to help pay for something else. I'm asking $800 + S/H. If you have any questions you can email me. Thanks!

Sven
April 18, 2003, 01:56 AM
What is the disadvantage of a bushing? Reliability?

boing
April 18, 2003, 02:20 AM
Less parts is more better.

In the real world, bushing vs. no-bushing is probably a draw. There are a lot of other things that are going to go wrong before you need to worry about the bushing giving you trouble. 90-year track record, blah, blah, blah.

XLMiguel
April 18, 2003, 10:53 AM
Critter's comments reflect my experience with the Kimber Compact . My Ultra Carry has also proven to be similarly reliable and accurate. Good luck.

jsalcedo
April 18, 2003, 03:15 PM
Charles Daly CMS stainless with a bull barrel.

Its my favorite .45 so far. Accurate, reliable, tough and $350

boing
April 18, 2003, 03:50 PM
I forgot to answer the question. My Series I Kimber Compact runs fine now, and is my primary carry gun, but it needed a new magazine, a new slide stop (broken), and extractor adjustment to get there. :rolleyes:

bountyhunter
April 18, 2003, 04:49 PM
Look at STI guns. IMO, they are clearly the best value in a 1911. For a couple of hundre more than SA, you get a gun as well fitted as a Wilson. They also use first rate parts so you don't have to gut the insides and replace them all. Dawson Precision deals STI as I recall.

If you only want a .45, Valtro is a very good gun as well.

Traithe
April 18, 2003, 08:35 PM
I absolutly love my Kimber CDP Pro. It is the best shooting pistol I've ever owned.

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice wanted on bushingless 45." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!