What can you guys tell me about this old shotgun of my grandfather's?

PDA

joey93turbo
March 15, 2006, 02:51 AM
After my grandpa died a couple years back my aunt's (grandfathers daughter) husband was already taking a few guns home a few hours after he was pronounced dead. I couldn't believe how disrespectful this was, and I let him know it. Anyway, he still got a few of the guns, as did my brother and myself. We basically took turns choosing which guns meant the most to us. The last gun came around and neither of them wanted it. It looked pretty neat to me from a historical standpoint so I was quite happy to take it. I've had it in my closet for quite some time now and just recently took it out to look at it. I've thought about refurbing it into a functional gun again and maybe passing it on to one of my grandchildren. Anyway, I'd like to know a bit about it.

On each side it says "Richards" and on the top it says "TWIST" then in fine print "Belgium". This is all I know about the gun. Both hammers are missing. Anyone know anything about these and where I can find more information?

If you enjoyed reading about "What can you guys tell me about this old shotgun of my grandfather's?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mnrivrat
March 15, 2006, 04:04 AM
I can tell you that your shotgun was made in the later part of the 19th century as one of many imported from Belgium at the time.

It has twist steel barrels which are unsafe to shoot for the most part with modern ammo and probably the reason someone removed the hammers. (so it couldn't be fired).

For the most part these old guns do not bring big money and are sold for decorative wall hangers. Fancy versions , minty examples, and some particular brands can demand collector attention.

huntsman
March 15, 2006, 04:38 PM
it looks like a hammerless hammer gun. ;) is there a letter in front of Richards ? could be a M Richards (belgian made) the book I have doesn't list an importer or other info.

I would lightly dab rust pitting with scotchbrite or veryfine steel wool and gun oil(I use Remoil) to clean it a bit, then hang it on the wall of my gunroom best side out.

Dave McCracken
March 15, 2006, 10:12 PM
When new, it was an extremely inexpensive shotgun made in Belgium.

Now, it's a shotgun shaped artifact. Do NOT attempt to fire this.

Clean it,oil it, hang it, admire it.....

If you enjoyed reading about "What can you guys tell me about this old shotgun of my grandfather's?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!