Questions on HD ammo

PDA

Stiletto Null
March 15, 2006, 09:52 AM
Say I wanted to get FACTORY ammo (because I don't have reloading equipment, nor do I have the budget just yet to get started).

I have two M48-type Mausers (8mm, of course), and I might be acquiring an SKS sometime soon.

What would be good ammo for goblinwhacking inside of 25yd, that wouldn't shoot through schools? I'm moving into a duplex in a non-college-y area, so there are lil' chilluns afoot in the direction of the entry door (as seen from living spaces).

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions on HD ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bartholomew Roberts
March 15, 2006, 10:50 AM
Here is some reading that may be helpful:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot4.htm

I would bet that the 8mm Mauser will zip through the entire duplex and still have enough power to exit the exterior wall.

rockstar.esq
March 15, 2006, 10:54 AM
Buy a single shot shotgun. They run about $50.00 used at pawnshops everywhere. The 8mm mauser is entirely too powerful to restrain itself inside a house. The SKS isn't much better in this regard.

ARperson
March 15, 2006, 12:27 PM
I'd have to say change your home defense firearm first. Rifle rounds make piss-poor home defense choices, in general, IMO. Particularly with shared walls and innocents.

I agree with the shotgun, but not with the single shot idea (though that was probably for cost considerations). Why would you ever limit yourself to 1 shot? :confused:

Stiletto Null
March 15, 2006, 06:16 PM
The place has brick walls, actually. It's an old-style house, '40s or '50s is my guess.

So there are NO viable high-fragmentation/low-penetration (by "low", I mean <15") rounds for 8mm, eh? TAP-like bullets in .323? Shame. *shrug*

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions on HD ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!