Took a little spill...wasnt carrying

PDA

Carbon_15
April 17, 2003, 07:47 PM
Ride long enough,and eventualy its going to happen..right? Well, my time came on the night of the 15th and my ticket got punched. long story short, I hit a patch of oil in a parkinglot and the back tire came around. I tried to ride it out, but there was a curb coming and just not enough room. I layed the bike down on the side to try to slow it down and smashed into the square concrete curb with the tire. I highsided off the side of the bike, flew about 10ft into the woods, hit the ground and bounced before hitting a fence and coming to a stop. The ZX-6R was totaled and I ended up with a broken right foot, broken left knee, broken left wrist, and 2 broken hands and some glass in my eyes...and ofcource some serious roadrash from head to toe. My helmetless head hit the ground and a fence post, but miraculously there were no major head injuries other than some loss of conciencness and a concusion. I also got to take home a $415 ticket for reckless driving . But I'm still alive. My injuries should have been alot more severe, and I missed a fireplug by mere inches. All in all I was quite lucky. The worst part is, I cant take anything stonger than advil or aleve for the pain due to some narcotic alergies and I cant get a perminate cast due to the open wounds. I have a bit of recovery and physical therapy ahead of me, but with the thoughts and prayers of my fellow THR'ers I'll be just fine.
Hunt and peck with my pinkies is pretty hard and quite painfull, so pardon my typing. And thanks in advance for your prayers.
On a lighter note..there is some irony in the fact that i was riding a Ninja. I can see it now "mall ninja get *** kicked by real Ninja".

This is one of the few times I was glad I wasn't carrying. I would have had to add a $600 Sig to the damages.
Jason

If you enjoyed reading about "Took a little spill...wasnt carrying" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stevie-Ray
April 17, 2003, 07:52 PM
Man, sorry to hear about your accident. That post must've taken you an hour to type. All those breaks, you sound like me when I was a kid.:D The ticket didn't seem necessary, or I'm missing something in your story. At any rate, heal well, take it easy, and thoughts and prayers are with you.

Carbon_15
April 17, 2003, 07:56 PM
Agood leason to learn from this is bad situations happen without advanced warning. Trouble comes under the most mundane situations like tooling around a parking lot in first gear, running to the store for milk, or just sitting around watching TV. Always wear your seatbelt, always wear your riding gear, stay prepared ALWAYS carry.

Bulldozer
April 17, 2003, 07:57 PM
And I was going to complain about taking a spill down the staircase this morning. Wife's cats were underfoot. Nothing broken on my end, but got a hell of a bruise. Funny, it's sorta shaped like a Taurus Tracker in the four o'clock area. Scattered other bruises too. I will NEVER wear a SOB holster (shudder).

You have my wishes for a speedy recovery. Just goes to show there is always someone who is in a worse predicament than you.

blades67
April 17, 2003, 08:02 PM
Too bad about the bike:(, at least you're mostly okay.;) So you got a ticket for reckless driving in a parking lot:confused:, but you didn't get cited for puting a hole in the ground and taking out a fence post with your head?:neener:

Hope your insurance will replace the bike. Good luck with your wounds and the physical therapy.

What were you thinking? You know a Mall Ninja is no match for a ZX-6R Ninja.:neener: :evil:

Atticus
April 17, 2003, 08:16 PM
Man...it's been a rough year for you. Glad to hear that you have a hard head! I hope your recovery is speedy, complete, and relatively painless. Bummer about the drug allergies...potent pain relief is the only positive side of serious injury! :cool: Hang tough!

critter
April 17, 2003, 08:22 PM
Uhhhhhhhh, can you shoot with just pinkie fingers?

Seriously, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Destructo6
April 17, 2003, 08:33 PM
Bike crashes suck, no doubt. Leather and a good helmet are some of your best friends.

If I didn't have a good supply of Vicodin in the first few weeks after breaking my ankle (bike crash), I probably would have chewed it off. The breaking didn't hurt nearly as much as the fixing (screws).

Good luck and keep it tuned to the History Channel during recovery.

280PLUS
April 17, 2003, 08:38 PM
you got a ticket for slipping on an oil patch...:what:

hopefully the officer put a little ky on it for you before he "issued" it

recover soon, ok?

:)

Aikibiker
April 17, 2003, 08:51 PM
I'm always sorry to hear about a fellow rider going down.

I am still trying to figure out how you got so broken up in a parking lot crash though.

I ran afoul of a Buick making a left hand turn into my path of travel when I was do 35 mph and all I got out of it was a slightly sore shoulder from when I went flying over the handle bars and landed on the roof of the car.

So what were you really doing to earn that ticket? ^_^

blades67
April 17, 2003, 09:01 PM
I'm guessing it was wheelies until the last one turned into a doughnut from hell.:neener:

Ed Brunner
April 17, 2003, 09:35 PM
Sounds like you are alive and well. Good luck on your recovery. Be sure to get another bike.:)

Navy joe
April 17, 2003, 09:47 PM
I'm all for looking cool/being rebellious, but when you get back on a bike(you should) please get a quality full-face helmet. Of all your body the two tissues not very likely to mend are your brain and eyes. I kinda like mine, you almost lost some of both. Good luck with the recovery, as soon as one hand heals a little I hear that beer is not a narcotic. ;) Get better soon. Hey, how fast were ya going? I wanna calculate the TKO value of your head vs. the fencepost. :evil:

El Tejon
April 17, 2003, 10:02 PM
Glad you are still with us. Fast recovery to you.

Don't know Land of Stars and Bars traffic code, but what was the citation for??? In what way was this reckless? Unsafe speed? May want to talk to someone (sorry, tilecrawler radar just went off, have seen this before: accident=ticket=bs).

Darrin
April 17, 2003, 10:16 PM
At least the Sig is safe. ;)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Redlg155
April 17, 2003, 10:16 PM
Ouch!! Sorry to hear about things, especially since you can't take any serious meds for the pain.

I hope my wife doesn't read this. I want a bike so bad that it hurts..no pun intended! :D

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Good Shooting
Red

blackhawk2000
April 17, 2003, 10:26 PM
Glad you are OK, but how fast were you going? Sounds like that may be the reckless part. Seems like you would have to be moving pretty good to do that much damage, and parking lots should be a place to drive super slow.

I won't lecture you about not wearing the proper safety gear, as you are an adult.
(^although that was a not so subtle jab;) )

P95Carry
April 17, 2003, 10:47 PM
Sympathgies my man .. from another fellow biker. But yeah .. you did get awful bust up, from something in a parkin lot!!! Had you gotten up to 60 in first gear or somethin??!

Get on with mending .. there's summer comin up. Best to you.

cool45auto
April 17, 2003, 11:04 PM
Take it easy so you can get back out there. Get well soon.:)

Kristofer
April 18, 2003, 12:01 AM
I also got to take home a $415 ticket for reckless driving . Talk about adding insult to injury. I hope you thank this guy for being nice enough to kick you while you're down.
Take it easy and get well soon.

Zak Smith
April 18, 2003, 12:12 AM
As a fellow motorcyclist, I can say that crashing sucks. There are only two types of riders: those who have crashed, and those who will. (The pedant in me notices the third category: those that are currently in the process of crashing.) Luckily, my only crashes and unintentional off-pavement excursions took place in a controlled environment: a track-day.

That said, I cannot highly enough recommend a high-quality riding suit such as an Aerostich Roadcrafter (http://www.aerostich.com) (or full race leathers, which are less practical), a full-face helmet, and good gloves and footwear.

These will drastically increase the chances that you will walk away from a crash instead of having your broken and leaking body carried away by your friends.

Heal well,
Zak

Jim March
April 18, 2003, 02:28 AM
Dude, that SUCKS.

And I know what your biggest problem is right now.

Wiping your butt :(.

When I managed to break both my arms in one dump, that was THE most annoying part. Ended up laying an old towel over the edge of the bathtub and...heh, threw it away every few days and scrounged up another :p.

From another stack-up, I have a right shoulder that makes all kinds of funky noises, but otherwise works OK.

Sigh.

Oh well. Coulda been worse. You'll get better.

general
April 18, 2003, 03:24 AM
Got rid of my bike after too many "experiences". 'Round here there are too many unaware automobile drivers, can't get out of town fast enough. I may get one for up at the cabin in the woods... nice winding mountain roads.....mmmmmmmm - where was I......
Oh yeah. Sorry to hear about your "experience". Get yourself better, and that right quick! - I do recommend Navy joes' treatment regimen.... rest and beer.
:eek: :p

M60
April 18, 2003, 03:54 AM
Well I've been down 3 times on my GSXR1100 two of which I was going over 50mph with nothing more than a severely bruised leg. Got right back on (after repairing the bike) and rode on...

Hope you get better soon!

And remember

GET A FRIGGIN HELMET DUMBASS!!

LOL

Hemicuda
April 18, 2003, 07:59 AM
I layed down my Kawasaki EX-500-A1 Ninja once... didn't break any bones, just displaced both shoulders...

one difference... I was wearing a quality brain-bucket at the time...

glad you're ok... but dangit GET A HELMET! they may not look as cool, but they save the important stuff!

XLMiguel
April 18, 2003, 09:09 AM
Glad to hear you're OK and on the mend. Motorcycles are high on thelist of the most fun you can have with your clothes on, but they aren't without risk. As they say, there are old riders, and there are bold riders, but there are NO old, bold riders. Reckless driving in a parking lot, no helmet suggests perhaps the officer thought you were doing something bold, yes?

I got rid of mine a few years ago after moving back to the DC area, and found I was dodging dummies and kicking doors far too much to enjoy the ride. There are just too many idiots and brain-dead commuters on the road aroudn here. I also had a few minor object lessons (just road rash & bruises) on the delta in MTTR between ages 19 and 29, and I just could feature trying it out at 39.

At any rate, best wishes for a speedy recovery and hope you'e 'in the wind [safely]' real soon. I have ti fight the urge for a new scooter hardest in the Spring.

Selfdfenz
April 18, 2003, 09:53 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident but thanks for reminding me...

"And thanks in advance for your prayers."

I already had one reason and forgot. You are now #2 and helped me remember.
Get well.
S-

Gmac
April 18, 2003, 09:56 AM
Glad to hear you're on the mend & sorry about the bike, the Ninja is a fantastic & FAST motorcycle. One piece of advice: rubber grips asphalt much better than steel,you should only "lay it down" if you can avoid an object by sliding under it (semi trailer etc.). B.T.D.T. Heal up soon & ride safe!:)

Litlman
April 18, 2003, 10:08 AM
Man, you got lucky! Sounds like the classic case of "Deceleration Trauma"! Seriously, keep your mind sharp . The body will heal with time . Don't get in a funk. Chronic pain + Immmobility can be a b@#ch! Get well and good luck with your recovery.

Ps: What Jim March said about wiping your butt!!!

bogie
April 18, 2003, 11:02 AM
FWIW, I know a guy who was hit head-on on his Sportster by a guy in a dump truck (who said he didn't see him). Broke his pelvis bad, etc., etc., but he's okay now.

He was here in Misery. He was carrying a little .38 deringer. When he got his stuff back, it was in the bag.

keyhole
April 18, 2003, 11:17 AM
Put mine in a ditch several years ago, HUA, and thankfull nothing more than my pride was hurt. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.:D

dev_null
April 18, 2003, 11:22 AM
C-15, and all other riders out there, please be careful. I've lost too many bros, one just this year to a careless driver in a minivan.

(I was lucky when I got mine... cracked wristbone, roadrash, and a new front end for the Sporty. Oh, and my skidlid (CHiPs style shorty) never even touched the ground! Wish I hadn't taken my gloves off beforehand, though.)

-0-

Safety First
April 18, 2003, 11:35 AM
First and foremost and I am glad you are alive to tell us about it. Hopefully, while you are recovering you will have time to reconsider the use of a helment. Riding a motorcycle without a helment is somewhat like getting behind the wheel of a car with out buckling up. Many,many years ago a friend of mine had something like 200 stitches taken in his head due to a motorcycle accident,and of course you know he had no helment on. Well anyway, you don't need a sermon and I sure don't mean to preach,I know what you really could use is some good pain meds. I do hope your recovery will be a speedy one.. Oh, by the way, you type well for someone with those injuries..Get well soon:)

Tamara
April 18, 2003, 11:45 AM
The "both hands busted up" thing sucks; I spent the first three days after my 2/99 accident with both hands bandaged up befor they decided that it was only the right thumb that was actually broken. It must suck to not be able to take good pain meds. :( Owie..

Best wishes for a speedy recovery...

...oh, and what were you doing on a crotch rocket without a helmet, young man? :scrutiny:

bogie
April 18, 2003, 12:24 PM
Yeah - and eye protection... I saw a guy take a june bug (at least that is what we think it was) in the eye one time, on an interstate. He went off the bike, and was bent in all sorts of weird angles when they scooped him up. Not a good scene...

On the other hand, I remember a time I was running with some folks back and forth across the river (ride to bridge or ferry, cross, ride to another bridge or ferry, cross...) and we were going through a little burg, and a little old lady in a very large land yacht pulled out right in front of the lead bike (how she didn't see 30+ sorta loud riders when EVERY local cop had...), and the guy had to lay it down. He was wearing leathers and a helmet, and came out fine... The little ol' lady took a minute or so of wondering why her car wouldn't go anywere with a chopper underneath, and then _really_ freaked out when she got out of the car, and was basically assaulted by the rider's girlfriend, who'd lost both her shorts and tube top sliding along the road... Cops and ambulance showed in record time, we got her into a blanket, and she came out of it okay - the scarring wasn't too bad.

veloce851
April 18, 2003, 01:26 PM
Highsides suck, I know them all too well.
Sorry to hear about the 6R being banged up... totalled really?
or just "insurance" totalled. Having owned many sportbikes I know they are expensive in the insurance man's eyes to repair. But not neccessarly in real life.
Glad to hear you weren't hurt any worse than you are.
That said...hope the pain from the rash lasts long enough to force you to wear a good Arai and leather gear full time. ;)
I learned the hard way too. Scars on a $500 jacket doesn't hurt near as bad as scars on a one of a kind human hide.

I agree that the lesson learned here about wearing your gear is just as vital as learning to carry 24/7 (whell you know what I mean)
You NEVER know when disaster will strike.

Hope things heal soon enough not to loose too much range time.

12GA
April 18, 2003, 01:43 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your spill - glad you're mostly okay. When I put my VF700 Interceptor down, the first thing that came to my mind was, "Damn, I'm glad I'm wearin' a helmet!" So, like you been hearin' from others, I'll tell ya' to get one and wear it. It'll be the best $300 your likely ever to spend. And they look pretty good too! :cool:

http://helmetcity.com/cycle/images/rf900_big.jpg

Jesse H
April 18, 2003, 01:45 PM
Dang...good eye opening thread for me to read as I'm going to be taking my MSF course beginning of May. I'll look dumb wearing a full face helmet on a cruiser, but I'll do it...Speedy recovery.

Jim March, you're nasty. :)

ball3006
April 18, 2003, 03:34 PM
I have been riding since 1958 and have not done the deed yet, knock on wood (pounding on skull). OTOH, when I lived in the UP it was a given that you would take at least one big digger in the snow each year. Lucky, I never hurt anything. Good whiskey will help dull the pain.....chris3

dev_null
April 18, 2003, 04:09 PM
Personally, I hate full face helmets, and won't wear 'em, period. My skull, my rules. I want to be able to hear that cage coming up on my blindside, to breath when it's 100* and 100% humidity, and I'd rather take a chance on a broken jaw than a broken neck from vertical rotation in the event of an impact. Give me a shortie with the zip-off leather lower anyday.

I will attest that leather and/or kevlar jackets are a must, as are boots. Gloves are a good idea, and even those shortie gloves that have become a biker b-movie cliche' are better than nothing.

I laugh my *** off everytime I see some ricejockey in flip-flops, shorts, wifebeater muscle tee... and a full face helmet. Pinheads all, and they deserve what they get when they stop sliding.

Anyone seen the new Bonneville in the flesh yet? Sure looks sweet... just don't know whether to trust a Trumper. Hopefully they're not letting Lucas do the electrics anymore.

http://www.triumph.co.uk/site/bikes/MoreImages.cfm?BikeID=65

-0-

Sindawe
April 18, 2003, 04:13 PM
I'm glad you've survived this mishap, bummer about the loss on the ride.

JesseH: I AWAYS wear a full face helmet, does not matter if I'm riding the crotch rocket or the cruiser. I can't count the number of LARGE insects I've splattered on my face shield

12GA: Nice lid, I like the graphics. What model is that? I'm due for a new helmet, and like the SHOEIs alot.

Smurfslayer
April 18, 2003, 04:13 PM
I cringe whenever a fellow biker goes down...

Just like a defensive situation, motorcycle riding requires the proper mindset.

"...was a curb coming and just not enough room. I layed the bike down on the side to try to slow it down and smashed into the square concrete curb with the tire. I highsided off the side of the bike..."

Note : The black hoops are your friends. They also have higher friction coefficients than any other portion of you motorcycle, so ALWAYS strive to keep them in contact with the pavement.

Ditto on the gear will definitely save the pain & suffering...

Speedy recuperation !

QuarterBoreGunner
April 18, 2003, 04:23 PM
Man that sucks; get better Carbon.

*knocking on simulated wood grain formica and hoping I never dump the Aprilia... though statistics argue otherwise*

12GA
April 18, 2003, 04:38 PM
Sindawe: That's the RF900. It also comes in solid colors for the more conservative types.

45R
April 18, 2003, 04:47 PM
Wow-
Glad you survived your spill. Good to see your still with us. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

45R

Carbon_15
April 18, 2003, 07:38 PM
Thanks so much for the kind wishes.
The sad thing is there is a Joe Rocket ballistic jacket, with matching boots, a full face Shoei and kevlar gloves sitting right in my closet. This is probly the 2nd or 3rd time i've riden without my gear. It just proves, trouble comes when you least expect it.

Idaho
April 18, 2003, 09:01 PM
Sorry to hear about the crash. Need a "raised eyebrow" smilie, though, to express my reaction to the damage you described coming from a parking lot incident.

To keep this firearms related: If you had been carrying, where would you carry? The one time I layed down a bike I wasn't carrying, and the brain bucket and leather/armored jacket did their jobs, but I had an enormous black bruise on my hip where I hit (just wearing jeans.) I can't imagine what it would have been like had I been carrying on my hip like I usually do.

My jacket has pockets integrated into the front vents, which are big enough for my P32, but not my P7. I usually tuck the 32 in there, right below my ribs on the left, and I think that would be both safe and accessible, but I would welcome any other ideas for safe ways to carry on a bike.

P95Carry
April 18, 2003, 09:23 PM
Idaho ...... I kicked off this thread not so long ago ... on this very subject .... go take a look ...... might give you some more ideas.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14248&highlight=bike+carry

LiquidTension
April 18, 2003, 09:24 PM
Jason - glad you're ok. Look on the bright side - when you're all healed you can use the insurance money to buy a REAL bike! The new HONDA CBR600RR is very nice, as is the Yamaha R6. Fate was trying to tell you something here.... :D

Eric Bryant
April 18, 2003, 09:45 PM
First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear about your accident and I wish you a speedy recovery.

I gotta say that I'm a bit surprised by the damage and injuries caused by this accident; I gotta assume that "normal" parking-lot speeds were exceeded just a bit.

Regardless, the only dumb mistake is the one made twice, and so I'll assume that you'll be wearing proper gear from now on, maintaining a safe speed for your environment, and keeping the tires on the road as long as possible when/if something does go wrong.

While not a good reason to ride like a dumbass, gear sure as heck takes the bite out of a bad get-off. Look at Colin Edward's 150 MPH crash a couple years ago in Germany; he literally walked away from that one.

As far as carrying goes, I'm not sure that I'd ever take the risk of carrying on my body while riding. Crashes are much more probable than needing to use your weapon in a self-defense situation IMO (if you feel otherwise, maybe it's time to move out of the Gaza Strip or take the training wheels off your Huffy ;) ). It's likely that anything that comes between you and the road and that isn't made of leather will cause additional injury. Therefore, it seems logical that placing your weapon somewhere other than on your body (like in a tankbag or saddlebag) while riding would be the best bet. Besides, by the time I squeeze my way into my leathers and don my riding gloves, there's no way I'd be able to quickly access a pistol that was concealed on my body, anyways.

If you enjoyed reading about "Took a little spill...wasnt carrying" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!