Savage 12FV info please

PDA

dennisH87
March 15, 2006, 02:04 PM
im going to buy a savage 12FV in .22-250 from where i work, and i am looking for some information on this gun. if you guys have this gun and have pictures of groups or range reports post them please. What is the range that a 22-250 will be able to obtain? and is there a kick or loud report?

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 12FV info please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ifishsum
March 15, 2006, 02:36 PM
I have a 12FV in .204 Ruger and accuracy is outstanding - average group @100 yds is .75in (5 shots) and my best is .45 inches. Almost no recoil. The .22-250 cartridge has more recoil but not at all uncomfortable. Both cartridges are quite loud.

Terrierman
March 15, 2006, 07:32 PM
Yes, a .22-250 has a loud report. The range is way way out there. Maybe even way way way out there.

Lennyjoe
March 15, 2006, 10:59 PM
I have the left hand model 12FLV in 22-250 and it shoots great. I am getting .75" groups @100 with 50gr V-Max over Varget. The accutrigger is great. The factory stock is ok but I plan on getting a Choate for it. Recoil is a breeze compared to my 30-06. I have shot it without ear protection but wouldnt advise increased exposure of shooting it too much without EP's.

The load above absolutely destroys jackrabbits.

Its a heavy gun but for the price a fine rifle.

swingset
March 16, 2006, 12:41 AM
My 12FV in .223 is a wonderful rifle. The stock barrel would do .5" groups all day long with good loads, and I since rebarrelled it and now get .25" groups with handloads (if I do my part).

I highly recommend either getting the Savage laminate stock or a Bell & Carlson rather than the flimsy synthetic that Savage ships with the FV.....it's not the best.

rangerruck
March 16, 2006, 01:22 AM
you dould do a 250 yds zero on that and drop only about 13 inches out to 400 or so yds. the bbl and scope will keep that muzzle from jumping very much , but the longer the bbl, the better, because that round will pop loud out the bbl, and you will know about it! i know a guy who just got a savage in 22/250 with a 26 in bbl, and he says it is a wonder how far he can reach out!

dennisH87
April 11, 2006, 11:19 PM
i got the gun and was sighting it in at 205 yards and got group sizes of about 2.5" diamiter. at first i couldnt hold a group becuase i wasnt use to such a sensitive trigger. once you first start to even feel the trigger, it goes off (i have mine set at 1 1/2 pounds :evil: ). what load have you guys figured out shoots best out of the savage 12FV? i was shooting remington soft points and they were junk, then i switched to Winchester 45 gr. JHP. i like how those shoot but i know i can get better long range distance out of a ballistic tip like Hornady's V-max bullets. i shot a softball from 220 and you couldnt even find the hole in the front, but on the back there was a crater that you could almost stick your fist in!!:what: i still have yet to try the hornady tho. and also, should i shoot Moly coated bullets one for every 4 JHP or BT??

Thanks,
Dennis

dakotasin
April 12, 2006, 12:25 AM
i have killed prairie dogs to almost 700 yards w/ a 22-250. gone over 500 on a coyote. 22-250 is capable of shooting accurately a long ways, but once you go beyond 400 yards, you really need to know how to dope the wind, and is best to have turrets on your rifle. also, once you go beyond ~400-425 yards, a 22-250 ceases to be explosive on prairie dogs (for comparison, a 223 ceases explosiveness in the low-300's).

the 22-250 is loud enough that you'll want hearing protection. louder than a 223, but even a 223 will have you reaching for ears after a couple shots. it is nowhere near as loud as a 243 or bigger. the kick on a 22-250 is negligible w/ a sporter barrel. w/ a heavy barrel, there is just enough that spotting your own hits is difficult for comparison, a heavy 223 will usually allow you to spot hits, but i have never been able to spot my own hits out of an unbraked 243.

bbutler
April 29, 2006, 02:33 AM
I have a savage 12 series in 243 ,and can get a 1 inch group at 100 yards on a good day.Federal ammunition does good and winchester seems to do ok but remington ammo stinks for me anyway.

dennisH87
January 2, 2008, 11:38 AM
i realize this post is almost two years old now, but i've had the rifle since and i love it still, im getting a new choate Ultra Varmint stock for it and im starting to reload 60gr. V-Max bullets in it. i want a bullet thats got alot of meat behind it. ( i want to see if i can flip a ground hog) :P i have been reloading 40 gr. V-Max bullets with outstanding results. i put 5 rounds down range at 100 yards and 4 rounds went through the same hole, the other was .25" away and thats becuase i got greedy and flintched. that load is 39.6 gr. H380, 40gr. V-Max, Win case, Win primer. neck sized. absolutely deadly on woodchucks out to my longest shot of 450 yards!

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 12FV info please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!