Browning .22 Auto

PDA

TrafficMan
March 15, 2006, 02:08 PM
my dad and grandpa have always spoke highly of these. The ones that you load thru the stock and they eject out the bottom. Seen a few around, but prices are pretty high on them. Anybody have one? Discuss.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning .22 Auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sactown
March 15, 2006, 02:22 PM
BUddy has one that I've shot often. Small, really small and handy little .22. Only problem is the downward ejections launches hot brass down your shirt sleeve or onto your arm. I bought a Taraus 63 instead for under $300. No problems with the Taurus or my friends BL22.

mainmech48
March 15, 2006, 02:43 PM
Very sweet old design! Light, handy, reliable and surprisingly accurate. Take-down into two compact subassemblies is quick and easy, which makes for a superb camping/hiking/woods-bumming gun.

New ones are expensive when compared to the majority of more "modern" .22 RF semi-auto carbines. The materials specs are high-end, and it wasn't designed to take full advantage of changes in the state of the manufacturing arts since it was first offered. Even with parts made on CNC machinery, there's more handwork needed, and that's costly. Good used ones are out there, but they're still pricey due to demand. There're also a good many collectors, which keeps the resale strong.

FWIW, there were Chinese-made (Norinco) copies imported and sold at very attractive prices for several years. While the overall quality wasn't closely comparable, they were still wood-and-steel throughout and quite practical for everyday use. New and like-new specimens show up on Gun Broker and at shows pretty often, usually for under $180.

I have a Norinco ATD that I bought for $35 in excellent condition, but with a broken extractor. The Browning replacement from Brownell's dropped in with no fitting required and cost less than $20 shipped. I've run about 3K trough it since with no trouble at all. It may not have the panache of the original, but it also doesn't break my heart to find another ding on it after a day of dragging it through the woods either.

Selfdfenz
March 15, 2006, 05:22 PM
+1 on the Browning
+1 on the Norinco ATD

S-

HadEmAll
March 15, 2006, 11:45 PM
I've had my little Browning .22 for close to 25 years, and still marvel at the precision when I take it down for cleaning. The only quirksome thing about it is I'm STILL after all these years having to turn the tension ring (makes the two pieces fit tightly together on assembly) a click tighter after each 100 rounds or so. But a real joy to shoot and posess. I see them at gunshows all the time and most of them are rather loosely assembled, like the previous owners didn't know about that adjustment. I highly recommend obtaining one. Don't know anything about the Chinese copies (Norinco?)

bgold
March 16, 2006, 11:51 AM
My first gun! Still one of the best, and will be ticking long after my 10/22 gives it up. This little gun fits me perfectly, and has watched more bricks of ammo run through it than I care to admit.

rockstar.esq
March 16, 2006, 10:09 PM
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned that the magazine follower is designed to look like a .22LR round so when you go to check the chamber it looks eternally loaded. Timbokhan and I thought there was a stuck shell for some time till he pulled out the magazine spring and follower!

Terrierman
March 17, 2006, 12:40 AM
The takedown Brownings I've shot were cool to look at but crap for accuracy when compared to a decent bolt gun. I'm one of those who thinks only accurate guns are interesting so no Browning Auto .22s for me thank you very much.

Onmilo
March 17, 2006, 09:58 AM
If you shot a Browning .22 that wasn't accurate, it could be you didn't have the barrel tightened down properly.
These rifles are one of the few that are actually scaled and proportioned to the .22 cartridge and they are more than sufficiently accurate for a sporting rifle.
Granted a bullseye rifle these guns aren't but they are great for hunting to 50 meters and fun shooting.

Want to stop hot cartridge cases from cascading down your jacket sleeve??

Cut a piece of old leather belt, about 2"X3" rectangle and use fishing line to make a loop so you can tie it to or hang it from the barrel.
The fired cases will hit the leather and drop down between your feet.
No more arm scars.

Norinco rifles are so-so, cruder finished, less accurate, just as reliable, and sport some of the coarsest checkering I have ever seen on a wooden stock carved from a tree I could not identify.
It isn't chu and it isn't Chinese mahagony, your guess is as good as mine.

Samuel_Hoggson
March 17, 2006, 07:34 PM
My Mom's (well, my Dad used the gift approach to get it into the house) Belgian Grade 2 now resides in my safe. Really, who gives a rat's tookus that it's not as accurate as some ugly bolt gun? This is what a .22 ought to be, properly scaled, and certainly accurate enough for 99% of what needs doing with a .22.

Downward ejection bothers you? Are you serious? I suppose Winchester '86s, '94s, and '92s bother you, too, b/c they throw cases over the top. And you probably find double-trigger doubles unuseable. Good for me.

If you need accurate, don't fool around. Buy an Anschutz single shot target rifle.......that you will probably never use outside of paper.

Sam

Oldnamvet
March 17, 2006, 08:41 PM
My grandfather taught me to shoot .22 using a Remington that looked exactly like the Browning. He got it in about 1950 as a gift from someone who owed him a favor. Although he died in 1969, I never found out what happened to that rifle. Sure would have liked to have had it for the rememberance of the times we shot ground squirrels, crows, and even porkupines with it while I was growing up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning .22 Auto" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!