Savage 111 Replacement Stock

PDA

Terrierman
March 15, 2006, 04:31 PM
I picked up a synthetic stock Savage 111 in .22-250 and mounted a 3x9 SII Sightron on it. It shoots pretty good but could be improved. Disassembled it today and noticed the hole that the rear action bedding screw goes into (the front of the trigger guard) is split and the plastic triggerguard is deforming too. In that condition, the rifle will never be consistently tight in the stock and that will keep me from ever being happy. So I'm thinking about how to fix it. Option one which is likely the way I will go is to replace the stock. This is not a benchrest type of rifle and will be used in the field as a hunting gun - coyotes and the like. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a replacement stock and have seen Ram-Line and Bell and Carlson's on-line for pretty reasonable money. Has anyone used either of these and like or dislike them? Are there other brands out there in the under $150 range that I should be looking at? (Wish Hogue made a stock for 111, those look like a good stock for the money.)

Option two is to get a longer screw and put a washer under it in front of the trigger guard to spread out the load that comes with a tight screw. I might give that a whirl before I go the replacement stock route anyway and see if that is something I can live with. Beauty is not the goal here, a rifle that shoots consistently to where it is aimed is the only thing that really matters.

Is there any on-line set of instructions for adjustment of the factory trigger pull on the Savage lines? It's not a horrible trigger by any means and for hunting I absolutely have to have a 100% safe trigger so messing with it to the point that safety is even potentially compromised is out of the question. But if it can be lightened up safely by turning a screw or two I'm game for that. Thanks in advance for all replies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 111 Replacement Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ash
March 15, 2006, 06:46 PM
You can get walnut or synthetic factory stocks on Ebay for very reasonable prices. You can get a fancy new 114 walnut stock at Midway, but for $200 (too high for me). I picked up a 1960's era walnut for my 111 for $60 and the rifle is really nice now.

As to adjusting the trigger, it isn't hard, but check out savage shooters.com for info on how to do it (I am too lazy to describe it right now).

Ash

nipprdog
March 15, 2006, 07:31 PM
(I am too lazy to describe it right now).

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage110trigger.html

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 111 Replacement Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!