CMP Winchester vs Springfield

PDA

SomeKid
March 16, 2006, 04:09 AM
Ok, hopefully the last question before I actually order the rifle.

What is the difference between a Winchester and a Springfield, other than the fact that Winchesters are more expensive?

And why are Winchesters so much more expensive?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "CMP Winchester vs Springfield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ocabj
March 16, 2006, 04:23 AM
Winchester Garands are rarer than Springfield. The price reflects this.

From a competition shooter's standpoint, the Springfield receiver would be more desirable since historically, Winchester had many production problems when they produced Garands during WWII. Some have found some Winchester receivers out of spec in some respects.

If you don't already own a Garand, get one now. I'd get a Springfield. If you buy a Winchester from the CMP, it will be a mixmaster. You can easily just get a Winchester receiver and built it up from scratch. Don't expect to build a complete Winchester rifle. It will cost you a lot more than the resulting rifle will be worth if sold as a whole.

MechAg94
March 16, 2006, 11:00 AM
I would go with a Springfield also. It is cheaper and maybe easier to get a service grade.

kennyboy
March 16, 2006, 10:22 PM
Both make solid guns. If Springfield is cheaper, go with Springfield.

30Cal
March 17, 2006, 01:02 PM
Winchester has more collector appeal. They are also the roughest as far as fit and finish of all the manufacturers. Is the CMP still taking orders for WRAs? Last I'd heard, they'd got a shipment in last month and stopped taking orders for them the very next day.

Ty

TheEgg
March 17, 2006, 01:26 PM
Collectors like to have an M1 from each of the 4 sources --
Springfield Armory, IHC, H&R, and Winchester. So, since Winchesters are in more limited supply, the price goes up.

If you don't 'collect' these, get the Springfield.

ocabj
March 17, 2006, 02:42 PM
Even if you are collecting one of each, you can easily get a Winchester receiver and build it up later. The rack grade Winchester is going to be mixed parts anyway. So the true collectability value isn't really there.

If you enjoyed reading about "CMP Winchester vs Springfield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!