Monarch ammo Made in Serbia?

PDA

Lonestar.45
March 17, 2006, 04:09 PM
At the Academy Sports here in Texas, I have recently been seeing rifle ammo called "Monarch". It's priced really cheap, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it? It says "made in Serbia" on the back.

I'm not talking about the 7.62x39 stuff in the blue box (that's made by Barnaul, I know). I'm talking about .270 Win, 30-06, 7mm rem mag, .223, and 30-30 stuff in brownish boxes, softpoints, going from about $6 a box for 30-30 to $11 a box for 7mm rem mag. It's cheaper than any Winchester or Remington stuff out there for sure. It's all brass cased.

Does anyone have a clue about this stuff?

If you enjoyed reading about "Monarch ammo Made in Serbia?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ball3006
March 17, 2006, 04:23 PM
in the Academy near me. I only noticed the 7.62x39 fmj, box said hunting ammo, for 2.99. I should have picked up a few boxes but I was after 22 ammo they had on sale for 6.80 a brick.....chris3

Lonestar.45
March 17, 2006, 05:55 PM
The 7.62x39 is good stuff, I've put a lot of it through my SKS and AK and it works great. Steel cased FMJ.
I'm really wondering about these .270 and 7mm rem mag loads though.

asknight
March 17, 2006, 06:20 PM
As you said, the blue box is Barnaul. The Serbian is brass cased, made by Hotshot I think.

longhorngunman
March 17, 2006, 06:31 PM
If it's brass cased it's made in Serbia by Prvi Partizan. They market their ammo under the Century "Hotshot" name and also make Wolf Gold. Really wish Graf would get in some of their 7.5*55 brass. Privi is the only maker besides the outrageously expensive Norma brand. LoneStar, hopefully their will be some good deals on Wolf at the Austin Funshow this weekend, I know I need to stock up on .308 for my new FAL and Ptr 91 that are coming in!

Lonestar.45
March 18, 2006, 01:19 AM
I'm hitting the Austin show this weekend too in search of Wolf. Last month there wasn't much to be had.

I may try some of that Monach stuff from Academy in my .270 and 7mm Rem mag to see how it does. It's brass cased and looks good, can't beat $11 a box 7mm rem mag!

rangerruck
March 18, 2006, 03:52 AM
yeah, i live here in housotn as well. monarch is pretty much trying to take over the most popular cals in bullets. i have used the 308, 762.39 and the 223. ive had no squibs, misfires, and have gotten good groups with all of it thus far, but i do have very accurate guns, also.

Malone LaVeigh
May 20, 2006, 03:07 PM
Results on 7.62 X 39 seem positive, but I had real bad results from the .308 and .223. The .308 was all over the place from a G-3 and a Garand.

I had a massive amount of failures to fire from an AR yesterday. In the first box, two out of 20. In the second, more like 15/20 were duds. The primers are visibly recessed and most had some firing pin marks, some pretty deep. We also shot several mags of commercial and Guatemalan surplus, with only one failure. That one also showed a slight indent in the primer, so there might be a firing pin problem with that rifle, but there is a clear difference with the Monarch. The unfired surplus round fired the second time it was fed.

Henry455
May 21, 2006, 09:10 PM
I tried a box of the Academy Monarch .223 55 gr. FMJ brass cased ammo today in my RRA Varmit upper and had a few surprises. The bad news is that I had 2 shots that short stroked ( next cartridge chambered but hammer did not cock), the good news is the first 10 shot group measured 1.4" (100 yds.) and the second measured 1.25", better than Q3131, Federal AE and WWB.

esldude
May 22, 2006, 12:51 AM
Well only tried the .223 so far. Got pretty mediocre groups with them. No problems firing. But sub-standard accuracy in a Mini14 , Ruger #1, and Savage 10FP when group shooting from the bench. Especially poor results in the 10 FP. Nothing under 2 inches in what is a sub-moa rifle using Winchester white box ammo.

belton-deer-hunter
May 22, 2006, 10:51 AM
just yesterday i was told that i should try these monarchs in 30-30 for my marlin. theses are supposed to be good plinking ammoi havent tried them yet

onebigelf
August 7, 2006, 02:55 PM
I haven't tried firing it yet, but it looks ok visually. Brass case w/annealed casemouth. I picked up a few boxes to do a barrel break-in for which I'm not concerned about accuracy, just that the ammo is copper jacketed. If it shoot acceptably, that's 193 /1000 for brass cased reloadable which ain't awful.

Iain...

SWC Bonfire
August 7, 2006, 03:02 PM
I have tried the monarch 30-30 ammo and like it a lot. It is accurate and must be a bit shorter than winchester or remington ammo, because 7 rounds will fit into the magazine of my M94 instead of six. That may also be because of the shape of the bullet (it is more of a truncated cone) fits further up into the follower. I'm too chicken to leave seven in there for long, it's bound to be putting more pressure on the primers than they were designed for. Don't know how well this bullet performs from an expansion standpoint.

I cleaned my rifle after shooting thinking that it might be dirty, but it wasn't dirty at all. I need to go get a bunch more for sighting in my new scope before I let it eat some (expensive) leverevolution ammo.

Overall I was impressed, and it was like $6.87 a box of 20.

Deer Hunter
August 7, 2006, 03:23 PM
Monarch would make Marlin seize up, and I'd have to operate the lever wish a bit more force to eject it. Other than that, it was fine. This only occured with my Marlin maybe once every 30-40 shots.

However, I dissasembled and cleaned my future brother-in-law's 336 Marlin the other day, and I noticed a little bit of rust on the bolt. I cleaned the gun nicely, showed him how to take it appart and put it back together, and sold him a box of my Monarch I had stocked away (I made 5 bucks :neener: ).

When we go to shoot it, it would take a lot of force to open the action again. This happened on every single round. The only exception was the last 2. He then informed me that the gun had probably never been shot in 20 years.

_N4Z_
August 7, 2006, 06:15 PM
Monarch makes my Marlin336 jam also. There is no rust on my rifle.

Seems good to do it about 2 rounds per box of 20. Really gotta crank on it to get it back open. I'll be loading out with the Federal PowerShoks for plinkin' fun from now on. They are only about a dollar more than the Serb stuff.

Don357
May 30, 2007, 11:18 PM
Hey, I've shot lots of the 9mm para and .40cal Monarch, both Serbian and Russian and so far so good. No problems to speak of. I've got some of the
.308, but haven't tried it yet. As soon as I get to the range I'll see what my Cetme thinks of it and let you know.

MMcfpd
May 30, 2007, 11:33 PM
Monarch Green Box $3.86? I've got one of those - I'm thinking about framing it.

Dr.Rob
May 31, 2007, 01:58 AM
I shot a box of Privi Partizan .44 mag /300 through my Marlin 1894 with no hiccups, misfires or signs of overpressure.

My understanding is "Monarch" is made for Academy like "Hot Shot" is made for Century.

Don357
July 30, 2007, 08:17 PM
I finally shot some of the .308 in my CIA CETME, only tried 5 rds of the 150 gn sft pt, but the old girl handled it quite well. No hang-ups or fail-to-ejects. I believe I'll try some more.

JasonblkZ06
August 24, 2007, 07:46 PM
So is this stuff reloadable?

Nathanael_Greene
August 24, 2007, 08:24 PM
I've used the .30-06 to hunt pigs, and it's been fine. Shoots a little dirty, but puts the bullet where I want it, and I've got pork in the freezer as proof.

dawgtraxx
August 24, 2007, 08:34 PM
shoots dirty...have put a ton through my ak..have put a few boxes of the .308 through my Fal...seems to work fine...havent really looked into the accuracy...although it will shoot minute of major appliance everytime

john paul
August 25, 2007, 10:36 PM
my rem 788 in 243 hated the stuff. had to hit the bolt with the heel of my hand a couple of times to get it to open. i had cleaned the gun the night before so i know that wasn't the problem

Zero Knives
August 26, 2007, 01:20 AM
I've moved over to Monarch exclusively for .45 ACP. I've put about 600 rds of the stuff through my Kimber and it likes it fine. I brought 200 rds to the Uzitalk shoot and it made short work of river debris. I took the remainder to the range the next week and it grouped nicely at 7 yards (by my extremely loose standards). It's a bit dirty, but not much worse than the WWB that was my previous staple...

Ram

patrickg
January 30, 2008, 12:50 PM
I know this thread is old but just wanted to share my opinion for anyone who might still come across this thread.

Last week I bought a brand new M&P 9mm and I bought Winchester rounds for the range that night. I took it out, shot over 100+ rounds and had ZERO problems with the gun. I was very happy with my purchase. Then two nights ago I went to Academy and bought Monarch 9mm ammo and took it to the range. After about 50 rounds, I had close to 15 problems. Either the gun jammed or stove piped and the slide didn't catch the next round in the magazine the other times. Also, my shots where not as accurate with Monarch, I had a few maverick shots that did their own thing.

After going through about one Monarch box I was pissed!!! :cuss:

I figured something may have happened to the gun during the week prior that was causing this but didn't know what. Luckily I still had another box of Winchester 9mm ammo in my bag, took that out and loaded it all in my magazines. ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS w/ Winchester ammo. Where, 2 minutes prior I was pulling out the mag and fixing a jam that I knew shouldn't be happening.

Long story short, Monarch failed my gun many times and I returned the un used box and will never buy that brand again. I would say Monarch is Russian made crap and you shouldn't spend any less than Winchester, in my opinion. It's only 2 or 3 dollars more per box which is worth it if it's going to go easier on my hand gun.

Monarch - :banghead:

Lonestar.45
January 30, 2008, 01:12 PM
This was the steel cased Monarch you bought, or the brass cased?

I can definitely see the steel cased stuff giving a semi-auto handgun problems. I refuse to use Wolf or the like in my handguns.
I still haven't tried the brass cased rifle ammo though. I picked some up for my AR15 just the other day, and also some for my .270 and haven't shot it yet.

Frog48
January 30, 2008, 01:25 PM
Monarch is the store-brand ammo for Academy.

I shoot alot of the brass cased .223 soft point, in my Bushmaster. Havent had any trouble with it, and accuracy is fine.

I've also shot some of their steel cased 7.62x39 FMJ, and some brass cased .30-06 SP, and both seem good also.

geophysicishooter
January 30, 2008, 01:43 PM
Gotta jump in here. I've bought the monarch brass cased fmj in .40 and .45 and both my guns have done nothing but eat them up. I can't and won't speculate on why other's have had problems with it but I've not had any problems with it. In fact, Imake a point of picking up a box or two everytime I go into Academy just for stocking up purposes.

I must say though, to stay on topic, I have no experience with the rifle caliber monarch ammo.

Um, btw, how did you manage to return the ammo? Every place I've bought ammo has a strict 'no return' policy on ammo.

jadamaridge
February 12, 2008, 01:55 PM
Monarch pistol ammo in 9mm, 40S&W, & .45ACP in the green boxes are made in Serbia. The 9mm & 9x18 Makarov in the blue boxes are made in Russia. The Russian Monarch ammo has a coating on the shell & bullet and when shooting this ammo when the chamber area heats up some of this coating deposits to the chamber area causing extractor problems and other unforseen difficulties. All depends on what type pistol you have and your experiences with this ammo.

jlangton
May 8, 2008, 08:30 PM
I've now ran over 500 rounds of the blue box and almost that much of the green box 9mm Monarch through my Ruger P89. Not a single FTF or FTE. Accuracy is good, always fired,not really a single complaint other than the blue box Russian steel cased stuff is a bit dirty,but it cleans up really easily.
JL

Dokkalfar
July 27, 2009, 01:19 PM
well i have used only the Monarch ammunition for my .270, and so far it seems to be working fine, i've gone through about 200 rounds of it. not too dirty, though i usually clean after each outing. seemed about on par with the remington core-lokt stuff, so for me its a decently cheap paper target ammo :)

mp5a3
July 27, 2009, 01:42 PM
Wow, this goes back to 2006 (I thought the prices seemed low) I use both brass cased and steel cased Monarch ammo without any problems.

Col. Plink
July 27, 2009, 02:35 PM
The box will tell you what country of origin the ammo has (I believe the orange-brown boxes are Serbian [Prvi Partizan] and the blue-green boxes are Russian [Barnaul]). That said, the headstamps on the casings around the primers will tell you exactly where it was made, though you may have to look it up.

My experience is only with the .45acp and .357, where I would have to say it's an excellent low-cost ammo (no dirtier than Remington, as others have noted). They make JHP for a lot of their caliber choices so seems like a great choice for defense rounds too if cost is a big concern. I have some .223 and 30'06 I have yet to try through an AR and a bolt action, respectively, so I'll reopen this thread and report when I do. Also got some steel & brass 9mm so that will be new to me. I wish WalMart sold Prvi Partizan...

Gadzooks Mike
August 2, 2009, 03:47 PM
After reading this thread, I bought two boxes of Monarch in 30-30. This morning I had some time to go shoot for a bit, so I took along a box. Bottom line - works good. Not as accurate as hand loads, but more accurate than the Remington I've been shooting. This was from 50 yards using a Marlin 30AW. That is 10 holes - the one just below the X is a double. I've also found that the shots rise as the barrel heats up. Both sets of 5 started near the X and walked up the target.

The grouping wasn't as tight at 100 yards, but I blame the shooter and not the ammo. All 10 shots at 100 yards were in the orange, but that's about all I can say about it. I must be getting old...

kjatexas
August 30, 2009, 04:36 PM
I have used about a case of 115gn 9mm through my Browning Hi-Power with no problems, as long as I use the standard recoil spring. I have a Browning set up with a heavier 18lb recoil spring for use with +P ammo. The Monarch ammo will not reliably eject. I get stovepipes at times. This must be because the ammo is loaded to lower pressures than generic American made ball ammo, which gives me no problems with the heavier recoil spring.
I have also used the Monarch .223 ammo in an AR15 with no problems.

SpotlightRanger
August 30, 2009, 04:47 PM
The Monarch .223 stuff is pretty dirty. I bought several boxes a couple of years ago when it was dirt cheap and only shot two boxes. I won't shoot the other boxes because I don't feel like doing the extra cleaning. I did not put it on a chrono either but it "felt" weak and had an oddly loud voice.

Arkansas Paul
August 30, 2009, 05:48 PM
Have no experience with rifle stuff, but don't like the .40 rounds. They jam up every time I try them. Of course I'm shooting a Smith and Wesson Sigma, so maybe that's the problem. I've heard some pretty bad stuff about them, but it shoots fine with Win and Rem ammo.

Taurus92 in KyleTX
August 30, 2009, 06:24 PM
Been using Monarch for the past couple of years now (back, when they still had it at the prices in the OP).

I only get the Green box pistol ammo (9mm and .40), and it's been flawless.

I've also bought plenty of the steel cased 7.62x39. But, I've only used it in my SKS.

The brass .223 has been great in my AR.

I've recently bought more 7.62, and will try it out in my new AK, and also bought some .308 to try in my new Marlin XS7. No verdict yet.

But, I haven't had any issues with the Monarch ammo I've used so far.

hpluseleven
August 30, 2009, 10:45 PM
I've shot Monarch out of my 7mm Rem Mag and I don't like it. I shot a deer with it at ~60 yards or so and I don't know if the bullet blew up or what, but it sure didn't have the effect on the deer I was hoping for. Post-analysis revealed that shot placement was fine.

I tested some of it last week against some other factory ammo and my groups were WAY worse with the Monarch than with the Federal or Remington ammo that i shot. Like well over 5" groups at 100yds compared to about half that.

The other issue that I've had - it doesn't alway want to chamber. Seems to be 1 or 2 rounds out of a box aren't sized correctly (I haven't measured them yet, but that's my guess) BTW, I'm shooting a weatherby Vanguard bolt action.

Uncle Mike
August 31, 2009, 12:03 AM
Hit or miss ammo. Pardon the punn....lol
We have had MANY complaints about this stuff.
On a good note, all of that I have personally shot has, other than the filth, done well.

Like someone said, spend an extra buck and get the Federal cheap stuff.

jtyoc
November 3, 2009, 08:52 PM
Monarch is cheap to buy and cheap to shoot. They are reloads that could injure you or kill you. Read the disclaimer on the back. In two boxes I had 2 misfires. I just had a gunsmith pull out a .308 out of my barrel. When the round chambered, the base of the bullet was to large to fit in the barrel. That is what the gunsmith told me. The firing pin hit the primer, but did not go off. He said if the primer would have fired, I would have probably been dead, or close to it. He also told me a few other stories about Monarch ammo. He had seen 1 barrel of a XD .40 blown up completly, and another barrel ballooned. He was kind of disgusted that I used the ammo and walked away. The point of the story is that they are reloads and who knows what you are getting. I would not use a reload that I did not make, let alone something that comes from serbia. I did not know they were reloads until I had the problems. Use at your own risk.

If you enjoyed reading about "Monarch ammo Made in Serbia?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!