Norinco Tokarev 7.62x25mm

PDA

Mooseman
March 18, 2006, 02:33 AM
How dangerous to carry with the chamber loaded, hammer cocked, and safety off? The safetys on these guns are terrible. I would never carry safetied as my CCW, just too hard to unsafe. Your thoughts please.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco Tokarev 7.62x25mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
White Horseradish
March 18, 2006, 04:47 AM
I wouldn't. The original Tokarev did not have a safety, it's merely an afterthought on this design. The pistol was intended to be carried either with the chambe empty or hammer down.

jonnyc
March 18, 2006, 09:14 AM
They were actually meant to be carried with chamber loaded, at half-cock.

Onmilo
March 18, 2006, 09:54 AM
Play it safe and carry chamber empty.
The balance point on these pistols ensures that should you drop the gun it will land on the top of the slide or with the hammer area/rear sight area hitting the ground first.
This is a surefire way to shear a half cock notch and drop the hammer on that chambered live round.
The bullet may not hit you but if it hits somebody else you could end up doing a little time for stupidity.

ribbonstone
March 18, 2006, 12:06 PM
It's dangerous.

Have an old 1967 Vietnam bring-back.., basically the same as the imported ones with the safety (parts will interchange). On the original, will fire if the hammer is down and you wack it with a stick (or drop it). Was made either to be cairried chamber empty or with the chamber loaded and the hammer at 1/4 cock...which locks up the gun so that the slide won't run. Considering that the average NVA didn't get to carry a pistol at all, would bet it was made to be carried empty.

On SOME of the imported ones, the firing pin isn't long enough to fire the gun when struck fully loaded...but others ARE. Isn't an inertia pin...an "almost" inertia pin. Don't know if it was by design or just by chance, but I certainly wouldn't rely on it.

Ohen Cepel
March 18, 2006, 12:23 PM
I have one that has the safety disarmed due to the original part being broken. Thing would slam fire until I got the part changed out.

I would not carry it with one in the chamber.

ABTOMAT
March 18, 2006, 10:59 PM
These pistols were in no way designed to use a safety, right? Was that something that importers botched together so they could be sold here?

Mortech
March 19, 2006, 01:18 AM
Most safety refits were pretty much botched except fot the Polish TT-33 imported by Intrac ,which one of I own .

Mooseman
March 19, 2006, 01:39 AM
Abtomat, yeah they slapped on the worlds crummiest safety so they could sell them here. About the equivalent of that stupid stud they screw into brass knuckles to sell them as "belt buckles" The safety is really stiff and backwards. You have to pull it towards you to take it off. It's like the warnings they put on the barrels now, in no way is it safer but someone can write on their resume that they made children safe or some such crap.:cuss:

makarovnik
July 8, 2006, 03:03 AM
The safety on my polish tokarev is an add-on. It was added by the importer to conform with importation standards. It only locks the trigger from being pulled, but probably won't do much to stop an accidental discharge if it's dropped. The original safety on these is to cock the hammer half-way (half-cock). This was supposed to stop the hammer from hitting the firing pin if dropped. I think the Chinese safeties are different. The Polish safety is near the trigger and you flick it down to disengage the safety. The Chinese ones are in the back and work backwards from what makes sense. I think you flip it up to disengage, right? How can you do that with one hand? Didn't the original P08 Luger work the same way until the Navy made them reverse it? I hope you like your tokarev as much as I like mine. What a flame thrower and the recoil is very manageable.

gopguy
July 8, 2006, 03:19 PM
They were actually meant to be carried with chamber loaded, at half-cock. Dangerous practice and not recommended by the experts...or the Russians or Chinese as they advised their troops to carry the things in condition 3. Hammer down on empty chamber.

The safety on the recently imported guns is an afterthought to get BATF to allow importation, they frequently do not work well.....or at all.

Outdated and obsolescent it is not really an ideal carry gun. I would advise keeping it as a curio or paper puncher but not for serious self defense use as a carry gun.;)

makarovnik
July 8, 2006, 08:09 PM
My tokarev is very comfortable for concealed carry. It's so slim it's like an old colt 1908 pocket model except with a hammer. I think an ideal carry weapon is skinny, flat and shaped like a used bar of soap. What's the most comfortable weapon you have ever carried daily (.380acp and bigger)?

375wea
July 9, 2006, 01:41 AM
I have a old Tokarov that was Russian made. I had to change the barrel out on it as somebody evidently tried to rechamber it, a 9 mm will fit in the chamber. I sure am glad whoever it was, didn't try to fire it. All they accomplished was to ruin a good barrel.

My question: There is a serial number and right next to it is the number 1939. Is this a pre-war Tokarov? The grips are rivited to th frame and have the "Star" with "CCCP" around.

375wea

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco Tokarev 7.62x25mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!