J lock

PDA

tango3065
March 18, 2006, 07:16 PM
Whats the best way to get rid of it, if I order a oversize safety will this fix the problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "J lock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kudu
March 18, 2006, 08:02 PM
Last fall I ordered a new safety from Midwayusa to replace the J-lock on my 870 28ga. I still haven't done it yet, but I have it. I believe Brownells have them also.

dfariswheel
March 18, 2006, 08:02 PM
Latest info is, that you'll need a new safety and the spring and ball detent from the old style guns.

Order all three, they're cheap.

Fred Fuller
March 18, 2006, 09:07 PM
Last time I checked, Remington was selling the replacement old style factory safety button, spring and ball bearing detent for $3 for each part ($9 total)plus shipping. Big-head safeties are likely to cost $12- 20 for the safety button alone, up to you if you think it's worth it (I don't).

Changing out all the parts will give you a proper functioning safety with the feel of the original, the detent and spring for the J-lock safety are of a different length than the old style parts and IMO are not a good idea to reinstall with an old style safety button. Restore it all the way if you're going to change it...

Stay safe,

lpl/nc

kudu
March 18, 2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks Lee for your input, I wasn't aware that the detent and spring were also needed to be fully safe.

tango3065
March 18, 2006, 10:44 PM
Thanks, I just emailed remington about the price and part #'s of the three items. Also does anyone know what remington puts on their new guns when they are packaged, it is harder to get off than cosmoline .

Snorkel Bob
March 19, 2006, 12:30 AM
I sell a ton of Remingtons, ive never noticed anything that was reallt difficult to get off the weapon. Just use some Hoppe's #9 and wipe it down.
If you want something thats a pain in the ass to take off, try a factory shipped Beretta.

tango3065
March 19, 2006, 01:12 AM
I calean and clean and the white rag keeps turning a brown rusty color, I orderd a new remington barrel a month or so ago and the same deal.

tango3065
March 22, 2006, 09:45 PM
Remington replied by trying to sell me the complete trigger group.

Does anyone know for sure if I can just replace the safety without having to replace the detent and spring?

dfariswheel
March 23, 2006, 01:43 AM
You have to replace the spring and ball detent.

You can buy them, cheap, here:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/

http://www.brownells.com/

Make SURE you order the OLD STYLE safety spring and ball detent, NOT the new style.

bgold
March 23, 2006, 11:35 AM
Dfaris is correct, and the last oversize safety I bought had the safety, spring and ball (old style) included in the package. Might ask when you buy your safety if it comes with all the goodies.

tango3065
March 23, 2006, 08:10 PM
BGOLD what brand was it?

bgold
March 27, 2006, 01:45 PM
If I remember correctly it was a Vang Comp. I really don't like the particular one I got, as it still pushes against my trigger finger with the safety off. I have found others (after I bought it) that has just an oversize outer head, and pushes in flush. I plan on replacing it with such a safety as soon as I find who makes it again.

If you enjoyed reading about "J lock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!