Got some explainin' to do

PDA

Sisco
April 18, 2003, 12:45 PM
When the wife gets home from work. All but promised her when I brought my new Kimber home that this would be the last gun I needed for a long time.
Stopped in at the gunshop this morning and there was a Mossberg 500, synthetic stock, 20" cylinder bore barrel, extended magazine that was just screaming "TAKE ME HOME!!".
So I did.
Thing looks to be brand new, wasn't fired much. $130 out the door. It'll look real nice in the bedroom closet.
http://mysmilies.creativesell.net/contrib/paladin/shotgun.gif

If you enjoyed reading about "Got some explainin' to do" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BrokenPaw
April 18, 2003, 01:02 PM
Sisco,

If you don't want to get caught, you can always keep it at my place! :D

-BP

10-Ring
April 18, 2003, 01:15 PM
A buddy of mine was in a similar situation. He thought he would ge her something too. His mistake was that he bought her a new vacuum :what: Not a happy household for a while! Get her something nice as a pre-emptive strike ;)
Oh, congrats on the Kimber & Mossberg :D

Kharn
April 18, 2003, 01:18 PM
Gold or diamonds would probably get your butt out of the doghouse. Or, do the old "I've had that for years, it was just obscured by all the other guns in the back of the safe"

Kharn

Sisco
April 18, 2003, 01:24 PM
Well, actually (and this was a part of my reasoning process), She and my daughter have always wanted to build a doll house. You know, a minature with all those "really cute" minature things inside them?
We went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and $250 later came home with a kit. Got a 45lb box of wood pieces-parts sitting in the garage. I figure I'm home free.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
April 18, 2003, 01:39 PM
first rule-
never buy a female anything with a power cord on it...

Unless she specifically picks it out herself, then you'd better get the checkbook in your hand NOW.

That's how my wife got her recip saw and detail sander <G>.

Regards

Rabbit.

Oleg Volk
April 18, 2003, 02:00 PM
Nuella once said that temporary loss of self-control may be forgiven, whereas lying to a spouse cannot. Wise words.

Jeff White
April 18, 2003, 02:29 PM
You might as well just fess up and get it over with. Several years ago, I saved my pennies for a Springfield Armory SAR-48 Match. Quite a deal for 1989 right before the import ban. Rifle, 15 mags, receiver cover scope mount NIB...$1100.00

I was in a similar situation, having promised not to spend any more on guns till a project was completed on the house. Well the import ban was about to be signed and I knew prices were going to skyrocket and most likely put it out of my price range.

I picked it up on a night I worked a 4-midnight shift. Took it home, carefully put it in the safe about 1 AM without waking anyone......

6 PM the next evening, a State Police car pulled into the drive, it was a buddy of mine....he had been to the gun shop, walks in the door says hi to the wife...then "Heard you got a new toy..." :uhoh:

Her ears perked up, "New toy???" :rolleyes: she asks. Didn't even make it 24 hours LOL....

Moral of the story, just take it in, explain what you did and prvided you didn't spend the mortgage payment or the electric bill money it'll work out.

Jeff

jhisaac1
April 18, 2003, 03:07 PM
The only gun store in Newberg Or. is kind of unique and would solve this problem. As you walk in the door, the left side is guns, the right side is jewelry. Everybody is happy.

jhisaac1

Black_Talon
April 18, 2003, 03:22 PM
My wife's pretty cool about this kind of thing. I just bought a used SA Professional and didn't tell her what I spent on it ($1500+) and she didn't ask. Here only comment was "you don't buy very much for yourself, you need a treat once in a while". She's pretty good like that.

ReadyontheRight
April 18, 2003, 04:09 PM
Or, do the old "I've had that for years, it was just obscured by all the other guns in the back of the safe"

I'm not suggesting lying to your spouse, but the two week rule applies here. If she doesn't notice it for two weeks, you get to say "Oh that...it's been here for a while."

Also applies to outboard motors, musical instruments and audio visual equipment.

keyhole
April 18, 2003, 04:15 PM
Mine was looking over my shoulder one time when I was in the safe. Asked about a Det. Special I had lying there. Told her I had it for some time, and she punched me in the shoulder! Guess I said that one, once too many times.;)

Standing Wolf
April 18, 2003, 05:28 PM
The bed's not always warm at 3:00 in the morning, but nobody ever complains about new guns at my house.

Sisco
April 18, 2003, 11:17 PM
temporary loss of self-control may be forgiven, whereas lying to a spouse cannot. Wise words.
Very wise words Oleg.
My original post is a little misleading, I've been married to this gal for twenty three years, we've never had a "fight". Had a couple of differences of opinion but nothing major. Marrage is a 50/50 deal; no secrets.
Had to do some 'explaining' because she's the type that doesn't understand why on Earth I would need more than one gun of any type. One pistol, One rifle, One shotgun should be sufficient. Gotta explain why this shotgun is different than the other four!

blades67
April 18, 2003, 11:18 PM
I have a rule in my house: If the bills are paid, I can buy whatever the hell I want with my money. I don't expect her to buy me something just because she buys herself something. Any complaints are directed to the wall. The end.

It's been working for us for the last seven years, I expect it will continue.

4 eyed six shooter
April 19, 2003, 02:21 AM
Why not buy the gun and give it to her? I've done that a couple of times and always manage to shoot it whenever I want.
Hey, what the heck, it works. :evil:

Lennyjoe
April 19, 2003, 03:50 AM
Got a cure for that.

I buy a gun, she buys a gun. We take turns on who gets to pick out their next one.

Of course, Im way ahead of her. :D

Sisco
April 19, 2003, 04:30 AM
Why not buy the gun and give it to her?
I might as well buy her a roto-tiller. She don't like guns much. She's not afraid of them, doesn't mind that I have them, encourages my son to go to the range with me (doesn't take much encouragment) but she'll not have anything to do with them.

Doc
April 20, 2003, 01:12 PM
forgiveness is always easier to obtain than permission

try jewelery as the antidote,
or a fancy vacation

:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Got some explainin' to do" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!