Custom Glock Barrels?

PDA

Smokes
March 19, 2006, 10:44 PM
Where can I find the longer barrel I've seen used with the folding stock
on a G17? It semed close to 18" and I would like to know where to purchase one very much. Smokes in Spokane.

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Glock Barrels?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SRMohawk
March 20, 2006, 08:11 PM
Smokes,
I've never seen or even heard of a drop-in, 'rifle barrel' for a Glock, but you can call KKM and/or Bar-Sto to see if they'll machine one out for you. Get ready to pay though.

azredhawk44
March 20, 2006, 08:18 PM
You're talking about the MechTech carbine conversions (http://www.mechtechsys.com/).

Cortland
March 20, 2006, 08:26 PM
http://www.impulsegunbarrels.com

Although you may be on slightly shaky ground with that one. I'm sure someone will cite the T/C case, but supposedly the ATF's interpretation of that case is limited to T/Cs! Of couse being in WA, SBRs are verboten. I'd say the Mech Tech is a better option for you.

Smokes
March 21, 2006, 05:27 AM
They are made and do exist, just not easy to find and possibly frowned apon by the law I have just discovered. Any other info on the legality or location of one would help much- P.S.: I called Lone Wolf, and custom barrels like what I'm after won't be available for 4-6 weeks ( I also want it ported and compensated.- Smokes

Cortland
March 21, 2006, 11:10 AM
As you already seem to know, it would be illegal put a stock on your Glock while leaving the existing barrel -- it would then be a rifle with a barrel <16". You could register the pistol as a short barrel rifle (SBR) with the ATF, but SBRs are illegal in WA.

When it comes to putting people in jail for possessing illegal machineguns, SBRs, etc. the ATF uses a doctrine called "constructive possession." This means they will charge with owning an illegal weapon if the illegal weapon could be readily constructed from things you own. Hence if you own a regular AR-15 and 7" AR upper (but no AR pistol or SBR) in the ATF's eyes you would be in illegal ("constructive") possession of short barrel rifle.

There's a company called Thompson/Center that makes a single shot firearm with easily swappable barrels in many, many different calibers. Some time ago, Thompson/Center wanted to offer this firearm in a package as both a pistol (with pistol grip and short barrel) and a rifle (with stock and long barrel). They received a ruling from the ATF that this would be illegal since the short barrel and the stock would put the owner in constructive possession of an illegal SBR. So T/C registered one of these guns as an SBR and then sued for a tax refund. They won -- the Court decided that as long as the items in your possession have a *legal* use, they will be legal to own and that you're only in violation when the items are actually in an illegal configuration. It's my understanding that the ATF has decided not to apply this case law universally -- they're applying it only to T/C Encores.

So my point is that even owning a 16+" barrel, the stock could still be a problem in the ATF's eyes due to constructive possession.

Note that you can't just put a really long (16") barrel on a Browning type pistol, the extra length and weight of the barrel stops it from working. Just like heavy suppressors, long barrels need a booster device -- that's what Impulse Gun Barrels provides.

Ohen Cepel
March 21, 2006, 11:20 AM
I thought about this in the past and researched it some.

I decided against it for many reasons. Legality being the one already mentioned (and a big one for me!)

Also, I looked at the cost/time/BS involved and it seemed much smarter to buy another gun that did what I was trying to get a pistol to do. (plus, it gave me a reason to buy another gun; win/win situation:D

Also, I had concerns that it wouldn't work right if I got it cobbled together.

I would look at Mech-Tech as mentioned or just buy a pistol caliber carbine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Glock Barrels?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!