Best Rifle Team in World to be dropped

PDA

anchored
April 18, 2003, 01:42 PM
Ok, so *maybe* that's a slight exagerration, but not much of one. Anyway, anyone got $600,000 they can borrow?

Gov. Bob Wise said today he would like to help West Virginia University find a way to save its nationally recognized rifle team, perhaps with private money.

The rifle team is one of five varsity sports WVU plans to cut in the next school year in an effort to save $600,000 and avoid future budget problems.

"We're looking to see what might be able to be done," Wise said about saving the rifle team. "I've suggested that we maybe contact the National Rifle Association to see what thoughts they might have."

Marsha Beasley, the rifle team's coach, said, "I'm just delighted that he is interested in trying to see if there is something that could be done and contacting folks to see if funding could be generated."

People who want to save the program have "flooded" her with calls and e-mails since the university announced the cuts on Wednesday, she said.

Beasley has heard, but not confirmed, that it would require a $3 million to $4 million endowment to ensure continued funding for the program and said she wants to believe that's possible.

But Mike Parsons, WVU's deputy athletic director, said university officials believe it's not realistic to raise that amount of money from private sources and put it into an endowment. He said the program currently costs the university $163,000 a year, so an endowment that could earn 5 percent a year for operating funds would have to be in the $3 million to $4 million range.

"Obviously, if it dropped out of the sky, we would look at it," Parsons said.

Beasley said she had heard the National Rifle Association might be able to provide some money for the program through its foundation, but it would likely be only a small grant.

Otherwise, Wise indicated that he would reluctantly accept the decision by WVU Athletic Director Ed Pastilong to drop the men's tennis, cross-country and indoor and outdoor track teams in order to make sure the remaining 16 varsity sports remain competitive.

"I'm not a stranger to having to make tough choices and make budget cuts you hate to make, and so I'm not going to second guess," Wise said. But he said an effort to save the rifle team is warranted because of its success.

"This is a team that is a consistent winner for West Virginia, a great representative for our state," Wise said. "It's the only true co-ed sport there is in the sense of men and women both participating on the same team."

The WVU rifle program, which has won 13 national championships and produced 12 Olympic competitors, is considered the most successful rifle program in NCAA history. Beasley has led the team to eight of its titles and has had 28 shooters win a total of 118 All-American awards.

Wise said the rifle team should also be saved because of the special place that guns have in the culture of the state.

"West Virginia probably has the highest percentage of firearms ownership," he said. "We're one of the most avid hunting states, so I think there's a natural affinity for the rifle team.

"It's not the kind of thing where you're going to pack stadiums, but at the same time, you have a lot of pride in what they've accomplished."

Wise said his office received notice of WVU's decision to cut the five sports just shortly before the announcement was made public on Wednesday.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Rifle Team in World to be dropped" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
April 18, 2003, 11:39 PM
It always comes down to money, not which sport produces champions.:rolleyes: :barf:

Stinger
April 18, 2003, 11:48 PM
It always comes down to money

It's called capitalism.

Stinger

Mike Irwin
April 19, 2003, 01:54 AM
WVU should drop their football team.

The rifle squad has had better seasons the last several.

Marsha Beasley is a nice woman. I spent quite a bit of time chatting with her when I worked for American Rifleman.

general
April 19, 2003, 03:59 AM
What a shame....another reason I wish I were rich.

Waitone
April 19, 2003, 10:00 AM
Otherwise, Wise indicated that he would reluctantly accept the decision by WVU Athletic Director Ed Pastilong to drop the men's tennis, cross-country and indoor and outdoor track teams in order to make sure the remaining 16 varsity sports remain competitive. and"This is a team that is a consistent winner for West Virginia, a great representative for our state," Wise said. "It's the only true co-ed sport there is in the sense of men and women both participating on the same team." Title IX hit. Federal education law requires exact equivelents between men's and women's sports. Men's sports are being closed down to maintain federal quotas. The shooting team got hit because of the preponderance of men on the team.

It ain't got nothin' to do with being competitive. Its got everything to do with federal quotas.

Great being an American, huh?

Stinger
April 19, 2003, 12:08 PM
I don't think Title IX has a whole lot to do with this, because it seems that the team is co-ed.

Stinger

larry_minn
April 20, 2003, 02:12 AM
"Obviously, if it dropped out of the sky, we would look at it," Parsons said.

So do I read this right? If I would win lottery and donate 4 MILLION dollars for them to keep the program going they would CONSIDER using the money for it????

benEzra
April 20, 2003, 08:43 PM
I don't think Title IX has a whole lot to do with this, because it seems that the team is co-ed.
If the team is, say, 80% male, it would indeed be likely to fall under the Title IX axe.

Waitone
April 20, 2003, 08:48 PM
So do I read this right? If I would win lottery and donate 4 MILLION dollars for them to keep the program going they would CONSIDER using the money for it???? Sorta make one think money is not the real reason.

David Roberson
April 20, 2003, 09:10 PM
Having worked for a number of years in public affairs at a major research university, I can absolutely guarantee that if a potential donor put up the money to endow fully this or any other varsity-level sport, the university would gleefully accept within a nanosecond. Now, if it were $4 million unrestricted endowment, the rifle team would assuredly be way down the list of priorities. But a directed gift would indeed be just the ticket to save the WVU team. Wish I had the money to spare.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Rifle Team in World to be dropped" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!