Sporting Clays ammo question.

PDA

Jim_M
March 21, 2006, 09:47 PM
I'm not reloading yet. I'm shooting a Beretta AL 390 12ga. The 28" barrel has a modified choke installed. I got Wally Worlds everywhere I look. Plus a couple Sportsman's Warehouse. What are you buying to blast clays with?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sporting Clays ammo question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TrapperReady
March 21, 2006, 10:10 PM
If you can find Federal 1 oz 3 DE value-pack loads, get them. They work well and have little recoil. The ones I'm referencing are packaged loosely in boxes of 150 shells. I bought 40 boxes last year on clearance and was sad to see the supply dwindle down. One caveat is that there's a chance your Beretta won't cycle the 1 oz loads. My 391 does with no problems, but they are on the lighter end of things. If you can find them, I'd try a box first and see how they work.

Aside from that, I intensely dislike the Winchester 1 1/8 oz value-pack loads. They seem to have more recoil than almost any other target load I've shot, the powder stinks, and they leave an amazing amount of crap in the barrel.

Frankly, I've switched almost entirely to Fiocchi shells. They've got a ton of offerings, and their Multi-Sports are pretty affordable if you buy in bulk. The Remington Gun Club shells are also decent.

If you are planning on reloading, then I'd pony up the bucks for a handful of cases of Remington STS target loads. The hulls are superb for reloading and there's a ton of data available for them. Since this is The High Road, I won't share my opinion of the Winchester AA (new) hulls.

theCZ
March 21, 2006, 11:44 PM
I reload 1oz loads with #8 shot for SC. I like #8 because it has enough pellets for close shots, and is big enough to break 'em way out there. I know Wolf makes a cheapie load of 1oz and #8, and Remington has a game load with those specs too.

TrapperReady
March 21, 2006, 11:51 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention shot size. #8 is a great all-around size... it's also usually the easiest to find. I do a lot of cold-weather shooting and use #7.5 almost exclusively when it's below 40 degrees F.

If you get a chance, try #8.5 for warm weather shooting. It fills patterns nicely and will break most anything (although I don't like it for rabbits), even at longer range.

When I'm reloading, I typically load 7/8 oz with either #7.5 or #8.5 shot. The recipe is the same, but with different shot size. I'll use the smaller shot as an "all-around" loading, and use the #7.5 shells for longer shots and/or rabbits.

eastwood44mag
March 22, 2006, 12:57 AM
1 1/8 oz of 7.5 shot. Typically Winchester Super X or Estates, sometimes crappy reloads. Our courses tend to have some really LOONG shots, so I like to go as big as I can. Does it help?--hard to say. I can't hit very well either way.:banghead:

Dave McCracken
March 22, 2006, 08:45 AM
Bruce Buck, the Technoid, says to use 9s and skeet chokes for shots up to 25 yards, IC and 8s to 35, Light Mod and 7 1/2s for long stuff and wabbits.

He shoots better than I do.

I use 8 1/2s or 8s for most stuff, 7 1/2s for longer shots, and use LM darn near all the time.

The ammo mentioned will do the job. I prefer to use reloads, tailored to the shotgun, choke and conditions. Smaller shot works better when it's warm. 7 1/2s are better when it's chilly.

Contrary to popular report, reloading does not save money. It enables one to shoot more for the same amount.

BozemanMT
March 22, 2006, 09:33 AM
#8's, 1oz loads.
AA's or STS's
you might as well save the hulls because you'll be reloading soon enough. :cool:

That breaks almost everything. For long shots I'll use 7.5's, but honestly I'm not missing because of the ammo.
The 1oz loads throw a better pattern and don't beat you up as much.

TrapperReady
March 22, 2006, 11:48 AM
Regarding 1 oz vs. 1 1/8 oz...

Yesterday, I went out and shot a couple hundred targets. About half of the shells were Fiocchi Multisports (1 oz @ 1200 fps). The rest was a motley selection of stuff that had made it to the bottom of my range bag and the recesses of my truck over the past year. Included in that were:

Federal 1oz 3de valuepack
Winchester AA 1 1/8oz Supersporting
Winchester 1 1/8oz valuepack
Remington STS 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4de
Fiocchi Crushers 1oz 1300fps
and finally
Winchester 1 1/4oz highbrass hunting

I was shooting an O/U and was weearing a light jacket and a vest with a thin gel pad. The 1 oz loads were all totally fine. The Crushers are fairly hot, so I could feel them a bit more than the slower shells, but they were not objectionable in the least.

The 1 1/8 oz STS loads were a little heavier than I'd like, but doable.

The Winchesters were horrible. I could tell very little difference in recoil between the value-pack and the 1 1/4oz hunting loads. The Supersports were bad enough that I'd wager a couple boxes would bring my flinch back.

BTW, the targets broke well regardless of what I shot at them. If your gun will cycle 1 oz loads, I don't think there's a reason in the world to shoot anything heavier.

belton-deer-hunter
March 22, 2006, 12:03 PM
has any one tried remington nitro in 8's?

mswestfall
March 22, 2006, 09:52 PM
I buy AA hulls and load 1 oz. #8s at 1,180 fps and 1 1/8 oz. #7 1/2s at 1,200 fps.

I shoot the 8s at skeet, 5 stand and trap (23 yards or less) and the 7 1/2s at 23.5 yards and beyond.

Most of the manufacturers make shells that are similar in the 2 to 3 dram range.

TrapperReady
March 23, 2006, 07:45 AM
belton-deer-hunter - I've not used the Remington Nitros in #8s, but one of my favorite factory shells is the 1 oz Nitro in #7.5 (gold hull). They consistently pattern well for me and they're relatively soft-shooting. I see a lot of them being used at sporting clay tournaments

I would imagine that the #8s would be very good as well.

Make sure to save the hulls. Even if you don't use them, they are coveted by lots of reloaders.

ffemt30
March 23, 2006, 11:19 AM
I actually just fired 4 boxes of the Remington Nitro's in both 7 1/2's and 8's at the local skeet and trap range. I absolutely loved them considering price and their performance in relation to other loads of the same cost.

I shoot with my college skeet and trap club and everyone was asking me where I got the Nitro's from. I think everyone was impressed. I'd definitely recommend them.

belton-deer-hunter
March 23, 2006, 11:25 AM
i bought one box at the local walmart just to try i will let yall know monday how they do i love the look of the gold hulls and as for reload i have said it on here before i have pretty close to 1000 hulls in 12 and 20 gauge that if anyone wants they can have for free they are just mixed bag of Winchester super speed remington and what ever else was on sale. (dove hunting)

ffemt30
March 23, 2006, 11:31 AM
How much are they going for a box at Wally World? I think I paid $4.89 for them at Dick's Sporting Goods.

belton-deer-hunter
March 23, 2006, 11:41 AM
about the same i think it was like 4.89 or something jsut over 5 dolalrs with tax. but i can get winchester super speed for 3.28 at wally world so i am just trying out various brands and loads to get ready for dove season this year.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sporting Clays ammo question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!