Ideas on coping with new airport security regs

PDA

Nathaniel Firethorn
January 3, 2003, 02:05 PM
Since we must now leave our checked-in bags unlocked, :mad: is there a way to lock a gun down INSIDE a honking big case?

Maybe with a cable loop to a lug on the inside.

I've also thought about maybe taking the locking block out and putting in a sign:WARNING:This firearm has been disabled. If you attempt to shoot it, it will EXPLODE.Any other suggestions?

- pdmoderator

If you enjoyed reading about "Ideas on coping with new airport security regs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spacemanspiff
January 3, 2003, 02:29 PM
well then you should expect to spend a little bit of time explaining why you obviously threatened to detonate an explosive device in a secure airline area.

how much you wanna bet that theres going to be a lot more 'missing' items from passengers baggage? i know some of the idiots who work the baggage ramps. they had the fbi set up a sting operation that lasted a couple years to get the employees who were taking from both personal baggage and commercial freight.

Nathaniel Firethorn
January 3, 2003, 02:36 PM
The owner of a gun shop told me this one.

A UPS guy in the Bridgewater facility was caught on videotape punching open a box and stealing a handgun from inside, then runing away. The gun was never found. UPS tried to fire and prosecute him but backed down under union pressure!

- pdmoderator

NeverAgain26
January 5, 2003, 09:45 PM
I just read a post somewhere here where someone was going to figure out a way to run plastic coated steel cable through his trigger-guard and lock it to the inside of the strong plastic suitcase he was packing his gun in.

The case could be opened for inspection and no one could casually snatch the gun.

The idea has merits but needs some working on. As for me, I think shipping the gun to myself might be the way to go.

NA26

4v50 Gary
January 5, 2003, 10:15 PM
Now I know why the big ugly Master Co. trigger locks are made. BTW, if you can strip the gun and run a cable through it (bbl, recoil spring or cylinder) and make it appear disabled, it may help discourage theft. Always declare not only the gun but also the value. Create a bailment situation so that the airlines remain responsible for the theft. A lot of times there's a standard amount they give until you create that bailment.

sm
January 6, 2003, 02:58 AM
I think I'll drive.
I understand its worse here , more thefts, hassle.
I let passport expire
Hadn't flown commercial in a while
Last flight was private jet.

btw-private plane/pilots --being restricted more?

The Plainsman
January 6, 2003, 04:48 PM
I've heard various distances, but the principle is the same - if you're traveling less than (600, 500, 450, ?) miles, you can drive it as fast (faster) than you can fly. Personally, distance is not even an issue. I am not a bad guy and I refuse to allow myself to be treated like a common criminal. I refuse to allow these scumbags to put me through the humiliation involved in typical airport security today. I will drive unless there is literally no other way to get there, distance be damned. I, sure as HELL, will not provide their baggage handlers with carte blanche shopping by leaving my luggage unlocked. :fire:

Given "air traffic delays" or whatever, it took my son more than ten hours to get from Kansas City to Dallas (from my house an hour from the KCI airport to terminal building at DFW) last week. 500 miles. Averaged 50 mph. Absolutely crazy. :fire:

If this insanity was really effective, I might feel differently about it, but it's not effective. It's pure warm-and-fuzzy crap and if anyone really thinks otherwise, you deserve what you get. :cuss:

bogie
January 6, 2003, 05:32 PM
Take large and bulky hard-sided suitcase.

Using a heavy eye-bolt, washers and bolts, secure plastic-covered cable to suitcase. Meow you're happy with it, glop on some JB-Weld, and let it set.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ideas on coping with new airport security regs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!