Kansas CCW now reality

PDA

skers69
March 23, 2006, 02:21 PM
Kansas will now have CCW. The veto was over ridden. Permits can be had starting July 1st.
More info at http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/8209931/detail.html

About time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kansas CCW now reality" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Car Knocker
March 23, 2006, 02:53 PM
To quote the news story:

The new law takes effect July 1, but it's not yet clear when the first permits will be issued.

Stevie-Ray
March 23, 2006, 02:55 PM
Congratulations Kansans! Now get out there and apply en masse!

Mongo the Mutterer
March 23, 2006, 03:28 PM
Congratulation Kansans... now don't hold your breath, because the same thing happened in Missouri (overrode the veto of Dem Holden). Then suit was filed by Sheriffs over a revenue issue to gum up the works.

I hope it doesn't happen to you. Took us two years to get all the counties and the City of St. Louis to issue (city doesn't have a county).

Havegunjoe
March 23, 2006, 03:39 PM
Now, vote that governor out the next time she is up for election. Send a clear message. Also get out and apply for permits in mass.

Frandy
March 23, 2006, 03:49 PM
From an AP news report:

More and more states have allowed residents to carry hidden weapons in recent years; only Illinois, Nebraska and Wisconsin still have no such law. Except for Vermont and Alaska, the states require a person to obtain a permit before carrying a concealed weapon.

Okay, we need a lottery for the bets on which of those 3 states falls next and when. :evil:

Standing Wolf
March 23, 2006, 04:20 PM
Well done, Kansans!

doggscube
March 23, 2006, 05:39 PM
MD doesn't count as having concealed-carry, unless there's a little-known way to get them to issue.

-Jeff

imas
March 23, 2006, 05:41 PM
Thats good news for everybody. :D

mordechaianiliewicz
March 23, 2006, 05:43 PM
Dern it, now I might have to change my location sign for this site! :) anyhoo, hoorah Kansas

louisdove
March 23, 2006, 05:45 PM
Congrats to all the Kansasians....or whatever you guys like to be called ;)

Polekat
March 23, 2006, 06:01 PM
Congrats......Here in Wisconsin we wait and wait for ccw.

another okie
March 23, 2006, 06:21 PM
Do you have a link to the new law?
I'd like to read the reciprocity and off-limits provisions.

scout26
March 23, 2006, 06:31 PM
Okay, we need a lottery for the bets on which of those 3 states falls next and when.

I pick Nebraska at 1-1 odds this year.

Wisconsin will probably get it next year. Just so they can say that they're not as dumb as us Flatlanders. Aka: Illinoisians.

Illinois, I hope to see it in my lifetime......Maybe when a Republican gets elected Mayor of Chicago......:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

wdlsguy
March 23, 2006, 06:33 PM
Do you have a link to the new law?

http://www.kslegislature.org/bills/2006/418.pdf

Rgrassi
March 23, 2006, 06:46 PM
It was a long time in coming. CCW wouldn't be here now if it weren't for Senator Phil Journey (R) and Rep. Candy Ruff (D).

I'm glad to see it finally arrived.

Rich

10mmshooter
March 23, 2006, 07:10 PM
Congratulations Kansas! I live on the Missouri side of the state line and travel into Kansas almost daily. It is good to know that your state has finally opted to uphold the right of its' citizens to protect themselves and their families.

I am a law enforcement officer and have seen ZERO justification for the hype and concerns regarding lawful persons carrying a firearm. Those whom I have encountered on the job have been very level-headed and easy to deal with (As one would expect of a responsible adult).

Excercise your rights, and do so responsibly. Again....Congrats!

lee n. field
March 23, 2006, 07:35 PM
One down. Dick Daley, decent people are closing in.

trickyasafox
March 23, 2006, 07:56 PM
congrats! i really hope wisconsin is next it seems like a great place

Moondoggie
March 23, 2006, 08:05 PM
I expect that Nebraska's CCW law (LB454) will be passed within the next 3 weeks. It's already passed with 33/49 votes in General File and Select File including 2 clotures of an attempted fillibuster.

The "Final Reading" is all that remains in our Unicameral...Nebraska is the only state with only 1 legislative body.

Our governer has said that he is in favor of it and will sign it.

This legislative session closes on April 12th.

GD
March 23, 2006, 08:06 PM
Yahoooo!
Unfortunately, as a teacher I won't be able to carry on the job, but I may still apply for one. I open carry all the time on my farm.

mpthole
March 23, 2006, 08:07 PM
Congratulations!!! :D

cambeul41
March 23, 2006, 08:19 PM
Only a few states to go -- and I consider "may issue" states among them.

blacksuit
March 23, 2006, 08:33 PM
I for one will be getting mine, I told my wife that now we can stay in kansas.:)

blacksuit
March 23, 2006, 08:33 PM
I for one will be getting mine, I told my wife that now we can stay in kansas.:)

blacksuit
March 23, 2006, 08:34 PM

Capital Punishment
March 23, 2006, 09:41 PM
Congradulations! :cool:

Hypnogator
March 23, 2006, 09:51 PM
Congrats Kansans! :D

On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! Da Da Da Da Da!:D

PWK
March 23, 2006, 09:51 PM
Is the governor of Kansas a Republican, Democrat or RINO?

Black Majik
March 23, 2006, 09:54 PM
GO KANSAS!!

GD
March 23, 2006, 09:54 PM
She is a Democrat and the governor before her was a RINO. When will we elect a good governor?
:banghead:

PlayboyPenguin
March 23, 2006, 11:42 PM
It was a long time in coming. CCW wouldn't be here now if it weren't for Senator Phil Journey (R) and Rep. Candy Ruff (D).
See what can happen when both parties work together to bring the people what they truely want. Too bad this cannot happen more often. At least now if I ever had to move to Kansas (god forbid) I will be able to protect myself from those flying monkeys. :D

PS. GD, what do you consider a RINO? Is that republican that doesn't lick the boots of the far religious right?

ExtremeDooty
March 24, 2006, 12:15 AM
PS. GD, what do you consider a RINO? Is that republican that doesn't lick the boots of the far religious right?

I believe a RINO is a Republican that does lick the boots of the lunatic left "intellectuals."

Congratulations Kansas.

Tom Servo
March 24, 2006, 12:42 AM
Congratulations are due. Welcome to the United States, Kansas. Pull up a chair and sit a bit.

rayra
March 24, 2006, 01:10 AM
Anyone have an updated version of this animated gif?

it stops at 2003, love to find an updated version (to save me the trouble of doing so myself)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/rayra/politics/firearmsrighttocarrystates.gif

Zundfolge
March 24, 2006, 01:15 AM
here ya go

http://www.gun-nuttery.com/rtc.gif

GD
March 24, 2006, 10:42 AM
RINO? In Kansas' case, that is a Republican that votes more often with Democrats on social issues such as capital punishment, abortion, and defense of marriage issues. They also seem to like tax increases and of course of interest to many of this board, they seem to be anti gun. Actually, our last strong Governor in many of these issues was a female Democrat - Joan Finney. So PlayboyPenguin, don't judge before you really know. Kansas has too many liberals in our larger cities and sleeping citizens in rural areas to ever elect a perfect governor. As in many places, the media will make sure a conservative governor will not do well.

ezypikns
March 24, 2006, 11:13 AM
Now let's go to work on reciprocity with us wild eyed Texans.

PlayboyPenguin
March 24, 2006, 12:04 PM
GD, I find it funny what some people think being a republican is supposed to be about. We republicans are supposed to be for social freedom and fiscal conservatism. We believe in small govt and personal responsibility. That means a true republican (prior to pandering to foreign interests and religious factions) would be pro-gun, and would be against excessive spending. They would not want the govt telling people who they can marry or what they can do with their bodies. I think it is funny that people can say they don't want the govt telling them they cannot own a gun but as soon as someone does something they do not agree with they run out and want the govt to pass a law against it. Talk about hypocrisy.

Lupinus
March 24, 2006, 12:51 PM
I don't get the "only three states" thing. On paper it may be so, but in reality how many states have real ccw?

NJ? Cali? Mass?

How many average people really have ccw as an option there and in states like them?

On paper it may be three, but unless you are a judge politician or something similer your odds of ccw are slim to none.

PlayboyPenguin
March 24, 2006, 01:12 PM
I assume you mean that "may issue" states might as well have no CCW laws. I kind of agree. I hate states that have "only if you are rich or connected" CCW laws more than ones with none. Although, I think alot of states have used "may issue" as a stepping stone to "shall issue" laws in the past. I know Oregon was a "may" state and then became a "shall" state.

AJ Dual
March 24, 2006, 01:31 PM
I hate states that have "only if you are rich or conected" CCW laws more than ones with none.

I agree with you 100%. If my only choices were WI's current NO-issue, vs. New Jersy style "may-issue", I'll take no-issue any day of the week.

It's amazing how easily some Americans can fall into the Orwelian mindset that "some are more equalthan others"...

jcinkc
March 24, 2006, 01:42 PM
Applications can be submitted this summer. The state has six months to issue the permit. January 1, 2007, is the expected date per the bill.

CAPTAIN MIKE
March 24, 2006, 06:14 PM
Congratulations Kansas !!

Illinois, standy by -- you're NEXT :D

imas
March 24, 2006, 06:17 PM
time to start adding some green states!

Standing Wolf
March 24, 2006, 07:39 PM
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know who's house you will be running to for protection."
- My response to friends that laugh at me for collecting firearms

Maybe they're laughing because you seem not to know the difference between "whose" and "who's."

PlayboyPenguin
March 24, 2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the assist. I sometimes type things alot faster than I think. All better now.

CB900F
March 25, 2006, 12:08 AM
Fella's;

Wyoming has in the hopper a bill that makes any person who may legally own a pistol a legal concealed carry. I would presume that's unrestricted.

900F

If you enjoyed reading about "Kansas CCW now reality" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!