New Shotgunner

PDA

Okiecruffler
March 24, 2006, 01:00 AM
I hope you guys will indulge me abit. Not really on topic, but this is the only part of the board I check any more. Joseph Quigley Monroe arrived after much fuss and annoyance on March 20th. Currently looking for someone who can make me a set of 28ga barrels to put on a 311 frame, would hate for the little guy to have to learn on an import.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/388130.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "New Shotgunner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esheato
March 24, 2006, 01:36 AM
Can't help ya with the gun, but a sincere congrats is in order.

Where are the cigars? ;)

Ed

kudu
March 24, 2006, 05:38 AM
Congratulations cruffler.

As for a custom set of barrels, you know that's lots of $$$. There was someone out California way that was making custom SxS and O/U rifle barels to put on Browning BSS and Ruger Red Labels. I'm sure it could be done with 28ga barrels on a 311$$.

In the for sale section a guy gas 7 311's for sale, you might want to check em' out. ;) :neener:

Fred Fuller
March 24, 2006, 08:50 AM
'cruffler,

CONGRATULATIONS! Best wishes for the young man, and good luck with the quest for his first shotgun. I have conficence you will do well with both.

lpl/nc

Dave McCracken
March 24, 2006, 10:10 AM
Congrats and Mazeltov!!

Bet he'll love a 28 gauge 870.....

Okiecruffler
March 24, 2006, 10:15 AM
You know Dave, the wife says the same thing. She's a big fan of the shell shuckers. Still wonder sometimes how we managed to stay together so long.
But I figure I got at least 2 years before he's ready to shoot.:D

Dave McCracken
March 24, 2006, 04:33 PM
T'is best to get the tyke one of each style and let hm pick....l

sm
March 24, 2006, 04:45 PM
Congrats!

You want me to take the young man shopping?

<stands back, sizes up Mr. Joseph Quigley Monroe >

Looks like a Model 12 in 28 ga would fit the young man just perfect! :D

I know not a 311, still satisfies the criteria for 28 ga, classic shotgun, shucker ( got to keep mom happy ) ...

You know I last saw one of these at the Tulsa Gun show...only $4800.

Why John you are quite welcome. :)

Congrats and best wishes for everyone.

Steve

Okiecruffler
March 24, 2006, 06:02 PM
I will say this, I'm glad there are some affordable 28's out there now. When I first started out shooting my friends either started on 410's or single shot 12's. Neither group was very happy. My pappy was smart enough to start me on a bolt action 20. Mild recoil, but hit hard enough to take game down.
Steve, you hitting the Tulsa show next weekend? I'd love to go, but apparently my attention is required elsewhere.

sm
March 24, 2006, 06:09 PM
John ,
I'm hoping to attend, not sure with some matters going on.

I understand you have other more important priorities. I respect that about you.

Mind pic, bunch of THR folks show up to see the family member, boy would mom be impressed or what?

"Here we brought the kid 28 ga shells, beef jerky, and cotton cloth diapers...not for changing, for gun cleaning in a few years..."

Heck I'd do my reading of Ruark's "The Old Man and Boy" to the young man...:)

So I am a fuddy-dud - I'm good at it. ;)

halvey
March 28, 2006, 12:24 PM
Okie
Congrats! This is the first one right? Having kids makes a guy look at the world differently thats for sure. You also look at guns differently: "Have no use for that one, but Okie Jr. may like it someday..." :)

As for the 28, the last affordable American 28 I saw went for $2700 or something crazy like that. You could always open them chokes up on the 410 or put inserts in a 20. Or download the 20?

Congrats again!

Okiecruffler
March 28, 2006, 06:44 PM
Actually, I have a 19 y/o from when I was young and stupid.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h234/okiecruffler/100_0845.jpg
Funny how young always goes with stupid. This is the wife's first. I had a set of little skeeters in 28ga, I was less than impressed, but that's to be expected. I have seen some of the import 28's that are quite passable. I did see one American made 28 at the last gunshow, a Winchester 21. Looked like it just rolled out of the factory. Just looking at it was almost spiritual. Then I saw the price :what: still trying to get my left eye to go back in it's socket.

Larry Ashcraft
March 28, 2006, 07:20 PM
John, Congratulations.

Nineteen years apart? :what:

I've got (well, Sandy's got) a little Baikal sxs 28 ga that is a real sweetheart. Handles like a dream. They sell around here for about $450. I picked mine up slightly used for $350.

Okiecruffler
March 28, 2006, 08:23 PM
Well, no one ever accused me of being quick. The doctors always said my wife couldn't have children, and for 13 years they were right.:neener:
That little russian gun has gotten alot of interest from me, even before I knew I had a little one coming. I know where I can get one, purt near NIB, for $300. Got a bonus coming in a few weeks, guess that answers the question of what to do with it.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Shotgunner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!