Is the NRA always this slow?

PDA

fantacmet
March 24, 2006, 08:36 PM
While visiting the inlaws in another city, I was out with my brother in law, and ran accross a guns show that was going on. The entry fee was only a couple bucks so I took him to his first gun show. The NRA was being represented with a booth. They were having a promotional thing going on with a 10 dollar discounted membership. Since I managed to get one of my guns sold while I was there, in addition to buying some site paint and other doodads I decided to join up. The back of my reciept says please allow UP TO 4 weeks for delivery of credentials and whatnot. It's now been around 6 weeks, and I have recieved nothing, no notification of anything. When I try to call the number it's always closed. I'm about to write a certified letter saying to cancel it and refund my money. Are they always this slow? Anyone know what the deal might be? I keep hearing such great things, but then when I go for it, all I get is the 25 bucks less money then before.

Rev. Michael

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the NRA always this slow?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rembrandt
March 24, 2006, 08:43 PM
....be patient, Mountain/Pacific time zone usually get things later.....

(send the NRA an email)

fantacmet
March 24, 2006, 08:51 PM
Well I just wrote them an e-mail. A factual but kind one, I restrained myself from spazzing as I usually do, seeing as how they are technically not corporate just an organization(corporations I tend to flip on and write rather vile e-mails to), and sent them a scan of my reciept. Just inquiring whats up. Hopefully I will get some kind of a reply.

Rev. Michael

MechAg94
March 24, 2006, 09:50 PM
What's the hurry?

Pebcac
March 25, 2006, 12:10 AM
I bought my brother his first membership as a gift, and it took forever for him to get his membership kit and first magazine. I mailed in a check with the card that came with a Glock, which is probably the slowest way to go. If you don't hear back on your email in the next few days, just try to call again. When you do get them on the phone, go ahead and ask them to remove you from the junk mail list unless you want all the special offers and requests for donations. ;)

PlayboyPenguin
March 25, 2006, 12:11 AM
Seems like we joined at about the same time. I have not received anything via mail yet but I did receive my membership number via e-mail.

JohnBT
March 25, 2006, 12:11 AM
That slow? Yes, it seems to me they were when I joined.

But if you'd joined last year you'd have it already. :neener:

John
NRA Endowment Member

2TransAms
March 25, 2006, 12:59 AM
I think it was about eight weeks when I joined.Then I kept getting renewal notices before I even got my card! One phone call took care of that and I got my stuff pretty soon after that. Renewal took two weeks...guess its faster when you're already in the system.

22-rimfire
March 25, 2006, 01:20 AM
Never really had any problem, but then I have been a member for a long time. Not worried about a few weeks. I recently bought a double subscription to Outdoor Life and Field & Stream magazines... it said allow 6-8 weeks or something like that. No big thing. Man, have those magazines gotten skinny. Next thing ya know, they will be out of business or internet only by subscription. I hate reading long things on the computer screen.

Desk Jockey
March 25, 2006, 11:01 AM
They might be slow to get started, but believe me - once you're on the NRA's list, the mail will NEVER end. I decided to let my membership lapse 4 years ago, and I still get mail from them about every other month.

SouthpawShootr
March 25, 2006, 11:07 AM
When you go through an NRA recruiter, a fair amount of the wait depends upon how fast he mails in his new membership applications. Some of these guys may hold them for a couple of weeks. When my dad first joined up about 3 years ago, it took about a month. He sent it in directly ot the NRA. I remember the wait b/c he had me checking on it practically weekly.

ReadyontheRight
March 25, 2006, 11:17 AM
I belong to the NRA to help pay for their fight for RKBA. Same with JPFO and GOA.

The magazines and membership cards are a nice bonus.

Mal H
March 25, 2006, 12:43 PM
Is the NRA always this slow?Simple answer: yes. They have always been slow in registering new members and sending out first magazines, and I've had about 40 years experience dealing with them. As someone said above - be patient, they'll come through for you.

mica
March 25, 2006, 02:39 PM
hmmm, mine only took about 2 weeks, then another 2 weeks for some magazines to show up. I signed up via their website.

akodo
March 25, 2006, 04:01 PM
I was told at gunshows etc, these 'special deals' especially if it is like $10 off are actually paid for by the host or the hosting club. Hence the NRA waits for your 'partial sponsor' to pay his chunck....hence it takes longer.

Same thing with 'free nra membership with gun purchase' you fill it out send it to NRA, they gather them until they have 100 or so, then sends info from them to manufacturer, who then in his own time pays the NRA, and at that point you are basically starting at the same point as someone who mailed in a card from american rifleman

MICHAEL T
March 25, 2006, 04:57 PM
Yes their to busy begging money off current members to worry about a new member. They hold you in back ground When current member quits because feed up they will replace with sombody like you. Its a 1 for 1 thing

JohnBT
March 25, 2006, 07:07 PM
If enough people would mail in enough bucks they wouldn't be "to busy begging money off current members."

If we would send more money they wouldn't have to do a single solitary mailing to raise funds for lobbying and such.

John

B36
March 25, 2006, 08:30 PM
Yes, it is slow just because of the number of new memberships coming in.

I sent a new member application and funds to the NRA on 2/15/06, NRA showed it as received on 3/4/06, but I doubt my student received his paperwork until after the 15th. Have not talked to him since the class.

Be patient, the membership will come thru.:)

fantacmet
April 10, 2006, 08:47 AM
Sorry been awhile since I checked this post, I got a reply within 48 hours. The guy who took the membership did take his sweet time sending it in. They apoligized profusely, and gave me my member number and such through e-mail, so I could get started with things since I professed an interest in becoming an active member and doing something to help the cause. I would prefer a quicker response and better hours on their part, but I can certainly understand it. If it were a business I'd be infuriated at taking up to 48 hours to get a reply or having hours that require time off work to make a phone call. However as a non-profit rights organization I can easily deal with it. Most of it is done by volunteers who do have lives. I have since recieved my membership stuff. Not yet recieved my magazine which should have been here by now according to the estimates I got in the e-mail but I'm not really worried about it. I have plenty of gun and 4x4 mags to keep me busy. To me the mag is just a bonus and even if they miss sending me a few issues I'm not really going to care.

I'm a bit concerned with the lack of even a confirmation on my request to be a contact for I think it's EVC or something. There is currently nobody in this state to contact for any kind of activism for the NRA. If I don't hear anything in a couple weeks I'll put the request in again, and give it another month, if I still don't hear anything I'll write an e-mail or give a call. Knowing the nature of the internet I understand some forms or e-mails just get lost sometimes. It happens. Sadly it happens too often but thats the nature of things considering the internet was never setup to handle even half the number of people on it now. It was never expected to grow this much or this fast. Things are being worked out though. IPV6 is starting to be implemented which is going to make things nicer, new protocols are alreday out there but people are too lazy/cheap to implement them. Oh well, it will eventually happen. It is inevitable.

Rev. Michael

P.S.
Thanks for the info, was very helpful in keeping me calm instead of annoyed. Been insightful.

Kharn
April 10, 2006, 08:59 AM
When I upgraded from Annual to Easy-Pay-Life membership, it took four months for my EPL-marked membership card to arrive. :scrutiny:

Kharn

jpmc
April 10, 2006, 12:20 PM
Donated $100.00 to the cause, and immediately began getting 2 calls a day, seven days a week wanting more money. I had to request to be put on the no call list. Like the message, but am disgusted with the messenger.:fire: :fire:

SouthpawShootr
April 10, 2006, 07:32 PM
If it were a business I'd be infuriated at taking up to 48 hours to get a reply or having hours that require time off work to make a phone call.

Yeah, well try e-mailing Cox Communications. I sent them a note 8 days ago that I was having trouble with the captions on the History Channel. Simple thing. Got an automatic acknowledgement immediately, but nothing else. I'm glad you got your problem resolved. I thought it might be the recruiter. Our club president is also an NRA recruiter. NRA membership is mandatory and it's convenient for many members to renew or join up with him. He sends everything in immediately and lots of members report getting their membership cards within 2 weeks, 3 at the outside. He's real good about it and very enthusiastic. I wish all the recruiters were like that.

B36
April 10, 2006, 07:55 PM
I sent in a new member application and check and it took the check a month to clear. Yes it is slow, but thanks for joining.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the NRA always this slow?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!