Chamber inserts

PDA

Oldnamvet
March 25, 2006, 07:59 PM
I know there have been various sub-gage chamber inserts available for shotguns but at one time I THINK I saw some chamber inserts for break open shotguns that would allow you to shoot either pistol or some rifle cartridges. Was this just a bad dream or do such things exist?

If you enjoyed reading about "Chamber inserts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
theCZ
March 25, 2006, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a bad dream. If you look at pressure charts, a 12ga with even magnum loads generates much less pressure than even a .223! And also, a .30 cal rifle bullet or a .45 pistol bullet isn't anywhere close to the .7-something caliber/bore size of a 12ga. There just might be something like it, but it just sounds like a bad deal to me!

ribbonstone
March 25, 2006, 08:23 PM
Try these guys:
http://www.mcace.com/

Have used a couple of their inserts and haven't anything bad to report.

ribbonstone
March 25, 2006, 08:23 PM
Try these guys:
http://www.mcace.com/

Have used a couple of their inserts and haven't anything bad to report.

mnrivrat
March 25, 2006, 08:26 PM
Not a dream at all - in the past there was a company in CA making all sorts of chamber adaptors as well as barrel inserts to fit into break open shotguns. Some chambered for pistol cartridges, some for rifle, and some for sub gauge shotguns.

I don't remember the name of that business, but perhaps some searches on cartridge adaptors will turn up what you are looking for.

PS: Edited to Say thanks to ribbinstone - by the time I wrote my post and submitted it, you were posted and on the money !

Oldnamvet
March 25, 2006, 09:23 PM
Glad to know old age has not totally decimated my memory. Now the question is -- can you hit anything with these and are they safe for use?

theCZ
March 25, 2006, 10:35 PM
Wow, I stand corrected! I wonder how they can do it and make it work.

mnrivrat
March 25, 2006, 10:52 PM
"can you hit anything with these and are they safe for use?"

I have a little experience with chamber adapters and with sub-gauge shotgun adapters. They are what I would call OK if you are not expecting something special out of them. The chamber adapters use the host guns barrel and sights and for short range work can be accurate enough to make them usable.

The inserts have their own barrel and while the sub-gauge shotgun inserts seem to work quite well, it is harder to do accurate shooting with sub-caliber inserts using the shotgun sights.
Generaly the front of the barrel inserts have an o-ring to center the stub barrel in the shotguns bore and it works relatively well I suspect - if your not looking for great acuracy.

I see no reason why they wouldn't be safe to shoot. In fact using a set of sub-gauge shotgun inserts in an old damascus barrel should allow you to have fun with great grandpa's old gun. (assuming all else is OK with the gun).

If you enjoyed reading about "Chamber inserts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!