Expensive vs. inexpensive chokes

PDA

RM
March 25, 2006, 11:21 PM
Should I pay up for Briley chokes at twice the price of Remingtons? Are there really any genuine differences in quality between more expensive and less expensive brands? Thank you for any thoughts on the subject.

If you enjoyed reading about "Expensive vs. inexpensive chokes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eastwood44mag
March 26, 2006, 02:15 AM
Need more info.

I bought Briley chokes because they were cheaper than Berettas.

If you're comparing the same tubes, I'd say go with price. If you mean extended vs. flush, it's really personal preference. I like extended for ease of changing, but that's about it.

PJR
March 26, 2006, 08:37 AM
The main difference I've found with Rem Chokes versus Briley is consistency. Rem Choke's actual constrictions often bear little relationship to what's printed on the side. Briley's are much better in that regard.

I think Briley's are worth it.

HSMITH
March 26, 2006, 09:19 AM
I agree with PJR and will add that I have found a few Remington chokes that were WAY out of round. The wall thickness varied, think round on the outside but egg shaped on the inside. Patterns were trash using these tubes.

Hastings makes a darn good choke tube for a little more than a Remington and a lot less than a Briley. I have both and the Hastings is just as good as a Briley though cosmetically Briley has more options and some are just flat neat looking.

Dave McCracken
March 26, 2006, 10:13 AM
Remington needs to tighten up its QC on tubes. As H said, some are not as they should be. I did have some measured and they ran close to spec.

There's Hastings, Colonial and Carlson's tubes here for various shotguns. All these are excellent, and have better pricing than Briley.

Briley does make excellent tubes, but price them up.

arcticap
March 28, 2006, 02:43 AM
Generally, I think Remington's are fine. I bought the tightest Briley 20 gauge extended choke tube that they made (extra full) and it patterned worse with cheap 7/8 oz. dove loads (7.5 & 8 shot) than the flush Remington Turkey choke that I later bought that was much cheaper.
I found that the Carlson's extended tubes are a great value.
I wonder whether or not the quality or brand of ammo is just as important as the brand of choke.:D

bgold
March 29, 2006, 12:52 PM
That is true. Some chokes I have had did not like a particular brand of ammo or size shot, but others worked wonderfully with the same choke. It's just like in a rifle, where it may like a certain load but not others.

gezzer
March 29, 2006, 07:32 PM
The last few smaller gauge guns I sold out of the shop 28's and 410's have Briley chokes with them straight from Remington.

If you enjoyed reading about "Expensive vs. inexpensive chokes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!