Savage stevens trench gun

PDA

Flyboy73
March 26, 2006, 02:51 AM
I saw a Savage stevins trench gun up for sale. Did they make trench guns for WWI. Looks like a winchester model 1897 trench gun. So i was wondering if they make them under contract.

Also what the value be on this gun.

Thanks
Brion

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage stevens trench gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mnrivrat
March 27, 2006, 12:44 AM
The first of the military riot guns I know of made by Stevens/Savage was the model 520 pump. This was not a 1897 look alike as it was hammerless in style , with a "hump" back simular to the Browning A5 reciever. It was made off John Browning patents, and was post WWI in production.

The only other exposed hammer pump I know of was the Marlin , which I don't believe was ever used by the gov. I also am not aware of any other manufacturer that was contracted to build the Winchester 1897 type exposed hammer gun. So I am at a loss as to explaining your sighting. Any more details might help . For example the Stevens model 520 and 620 were made as trench guns with barrel shrouds and bayonet lugs, but were WWII usage firearms.

Flyboy73
March 27, 2006, 01:24 AM
yes its a model 520 trench gun. Looking closely between the 1897 and 530 i see the difference.

Whats a used 520 trench gun run?

Brion

mnrivrat
March 27, 2006, 01:49 AM

Got me there - I haven't kept up with prices these last few years. I can tell you that they are of significant collector interest and will be at least several hundred dollars I suspect. All older military marked shotguns are in demand by collectors. You might try doing web searches on US military shotguns , or the Stevens Model 520 Trench gun specificaly to find more info and possibly others for sale to get a better fix on the value. Or someone here may come along with more info as well.

Black_Talon
March 27, 2006, 08:57 PM

Look on GB, GA or AA, there's a couple of them up for sale right now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage stevens trench gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!