Shotguns in science fiction

PDA

Slater
March 27, 2006, 09:11 AM
This was a topic of conversation the other day. With all the futuristic weaponry available, shotguns manage to make an appearance in more than a few sci-fi flicks;

"Outland" (kind of a High Noon in space): Sean Connery employs a shotgun against the bad guys

"Aliens": Corporal Hicks keeps a shorty pump as a backup weapon.

"Total Recall": Michael Ironside's character used some type of rotary-magazine shotgun (Pancor Jackhammer?).

"Deepstar 6": The crew uses what appear to be Mossberg 590 Mariners against a rather unpleasant beastie.

And of course the "Terminator" series had all manner of shotguns (SPAS-12, Ithaca 37, etc.).

Any other sci-fi flicks feature prominent use of the shotgun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotguns in science fiction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GTSteve03
March 27, 2006, 09:32 AM
The HALO video games have a shotty, its a 10 gauge :what: in the original but they must have toned it down to a 20 in the 2nd. :p

Jamie C.
March 27, 2006, 09:36 AM
Pitch Black had the merc/bounty hunter carrying one.

And although Constantine isn't sci-fi, it still featured a pretty neat scattergun.

And Doom had shotguns.... although I'd just as soon forget that whole movie.. :rolleyes:

J.C.

Technosavant
March 27, 2006, 09:50 AM
The HALO video games have a shotty, its a 10 gauge in the original but they must have toned it down to a 20 in the 2nd.

In HALO 1, the shotgun is described as an 8 gauge. During the reloading sequence, you can see an "8" on the loading port. Since Master Chief is a larger and stronger than normal cyborg, such a shotgun is not unusable.

Rupestris
March 27, 2006, 10:21 AM
There have been both SPAS-12 and USAS-12's used in the TV show Stargate SG1. IIRC ther was a Mossberg 500 Bulpup in the movie with Kurt Russell.

The Crow with Brandon Lee featured a shotgun with a barrel wide enough to drop wedding rings down. Of course the gold rings, once fired through the SG, created sparks when they hit the ground. Otherwise a good movie.

'Card
March 27, 2006, 10:36 AM
I'm pretty certain that both Perfect Tommy and Reno carried 'souped-up' Remington 870's when they raided the Red Lectroid (Yoyodyne Industries) facility where Dr. Lizardo was building his spacecraft to try to return to Planet 10 in The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai in the Eighth Dimension.

ReadyontheRight
March 27, 2006, 11:13 AM
I'm pretty certain that both Perfect Tommy and Reno carried 'souped-up' Remington 870's when they raided the Red Lectroid (Yoyodyne Industries) facility where Dr. Lizardo was building his spacecraft to try to return to Planet 10 in The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai in the Eighth Dimension.

"Laugh while you can monkey boy!"

I love the scene at the beginning where the Buckaroo Bonzai band is playing and the girl at the bar pulls out a gun to kill herself. The gun goes off and the entire band drops their instruments and are instantly armed and ready.:D

dfariswheel
March 27, 2006, 03:24 PM
In what may be one of the WORST Sci-Fi movies ever made, 1968's "Mission Mars" starring Nick Adams, they used a High Standard Model 10-A Bullpup shotgun (To no real effect).

Silent Bob
March 27, 2006, 03:44 PM
In Starship Troopers (the awful movie version) Johnny Rico was using some sort of shotgun against a bug at the part where he got wounded

MrTuffPaws
March 27, 2006, 03:57 PM
"Outland" (kind of a High Noon in space): Sean Connery employs a shotgun against the bad guys

That was such a great film.

Spec ops Grunt
March 27, 2006, 03:57 PM
In HALO 1, the shotgun is described as an 8 gauge. During the reloading sequence, you can see an "8" on the loading port. Since Master Chief is a larger and stronger than normal cyborg, such a shotgun is not unusable.

Both shotguns are 8 gauge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_in_Halo:_Combat_Evolved

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_in_Halo_2

As for the marines using the 8 gauge, my hypothesis is that by 2556 we have made great advances in strength enhancements, genetic engenering, recoil reduction systems, firearms, nutrition, and training.

sm
March 27, 2006, 04:03 PM
Does the Internet Count For Sci-Fi ?

yeah, I'm going there, set your drinks down...

Our very own, accomplished, experienced, articulate, and esteemed Mr. H&H Hunter , did I mention he hunts a lot? Did I mention he hunts and takes DGs ( and I don't mean dungeons and gragons) I mean DANGEROUS GAME...was confronted with the ULTIMATE SHOTGUN

Many of us were present, we just watched six , as Mr. Hunter handled himself quite well...then again some of could not stand the fact he was having all the "experience" of this "confrontation" - so we piped in of course.

Oh there was that wee break he needed to remove a cookie crumb out of his pink bunny slippers, but I digress...

Mr. Hunter, took care of the matter, and to this day the ULTIMATE Shotgun, has not been seen hide nor hair of since around these here parts.

Didn't realize you were a member of something that great and important now did you?

Sci-Fi not exactly the term , a bit Spaced Out is sorta, kinda ...oh the truth is , it was so "out there" and "scary" - we don't have words to express it...
well we kinda do , but then Art's Grammaw - that one time she almost gave us a green light and about to jump in herself, she restrained herself, and just kept watch over her bunch...

:)

Technosavant
March 27, 2006, 09:01 PM
I think that the assault rifle in Starship Troopers had a shotgun under the barrel.

As for Halo 2, I haven't played it yet, and I am not sure if I will ever get to. :(

Mulliga
March 27, 2006, 10:21 PM
Was that an underbarrel shotgun? I thought it was a grenade launcher. Been awhile since I saw that movie - didn't like how they twisted the message of the book.

Wakejefe
March 27, 2006, 11:59 PM
Dawn of the Dead has some shotgun action in it.

I do not have a keen enough eye to pick out the make/model.

I will say the scene where they run into the gun store and load up is top notch.

Imagine your favorite/most well stocked gunstore; with free access to any arm you choose. Not bad.

Jefe

beerslurpy
March 28, 2006, 01:02 AM
f

Nightcrawler
March 28, 2006, 01:22 AM
Back when I did part time writing for PlanetAvP, I did an article on the Guns of the Space Marines (from Aliens). I noted with interest that even with the advent of caseless ammunition and advanced weapons, manually-operated shotguns still seem to be the norm. (Well, one of my stories had a bit about a powerful pistol being recoil-compensated to prevent damaging the firer's wrist. With a better understanding of guns now, it's probably kind of silly.)

This comes from the fact, I think, that most non-gun folks (like most sci-fi writers and game designers) simply assume a shotgun is either double barreled or pump-action. Say "shotgun" and they think "pump shotgun". *shrug*

Oddly enough, it seems we haven't yet been able to develop a semiautomatic shotgun that's really reliable enough for hard military field use (as opposed to special uses, like short-duration SWAT missions and the like). The military is going back to the M870 after playing around with the Benelli M1014 for awhile (that modular gun from Remington).

I think the problem is that most autoloading shotguns are based on sporting designs with flimsy gas systems and too many small parts. If they designed a "military grade" gun from the ground up they'd have no trouble. Plus, they like to use breaching rounds, bean bags, and other stuff that won't cycle an autoloader.

Manedwolf
March 28, 2006, 01:45 AM
I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet...

SERENITY!

Jayne's "Vera" is a dressed up Saiga 12, I believe.

Hellion Productions
March 28, 2006, 02:42 AM
Predator- Billy's M-16 with under-barrel 870

Best,
John Bear Ross

Correia
March 28, 2006, 12:08 PM
NC, one word for you. Saiga. It's a 12 guage AK for pete's sake. :p

MedGrl
March 28, 2006, 12:13 PM
Firefly and then more recently the movie Serenity which picks up where Firefly left off.

riverdog
March 28, 2006, 01:32 PM
"The Road Warrior" -- Max/Mel Gibson's sawed-off double barrel with those really old crumble-in-your-hand paper shells.

Kevlarman
March 28, 2006, 08:53 PM
Well isn't the Aliens M41 Pulse Rifle just a SPAS-12 and M1 Thompson melded together?

Nightcrawler
March 29, 2006, 02:23 AM
Well yes. The M41 Pulse Rifle prop was an M1A1 Thompson with a sawed-off Ithaca 37 mounted under the barrel.

In canon, though, it was a 10mm caseless (exploding rounds), electronically ignited, select fire rifle, with an undermounted 30mm manually operated grenade launcher. Looked cool as heck anyways.

beerslurpy
March 29, 2006, 02:50 AM
Nightcrawler- like correira said, Saiga-12 for the win. It's an AK chambered in 12 gauge- it can be cut down to the size of an MP5 and shoots 8+ full power magnum shells.

PaladinVC
March 29, 2006, 08:11 AM
As for the marines using the 8 gauge, my hypothesis is that by 2556 we have made great advances in strength enhancements, genetic engenering, recoil reduction systems, firearms, nutrition, and training.Then why are they so stupid?

mrmeval
March 29, 2006, 08:32 AM
Then why are they so stupid?
Cause someone pee'd in their gene pool?

Big John II
March 30, 2006, 08:20 PM
Robocop had plenty of shotgun action too. They were lucky they weren't picking up Peter Weller up with a sponge after all the rounds he took before he became Robocop.

Georgian87
March 31, 2006, 01:09 AM
The Run Down with the Rock fro WWF has a really good shotgun seen. One handing two Remington 870's, lol.

Crom
March 31, 2006, 01:19 AM
John Carpenter's Ghosts Of Mars and The Thing (the 1980's remake) had shotgun scenes.

Tim Robbins brandished what looked like a short-barreled Mossberg 500 in Spielberg's The War Of The Worlds.

Devonai
March 31, 2006, 07:32 AM
A couple of the characters in the sequel to my book (see sig) make liberal use of a well-worn Remington 870 against some alien species. 00 Buck is cheaper than a universal translator.

SolaScriptura139
March 31, 2006, 10:15 AM
What was that lever-action shotgun that Arnold used in Terminator 2? I always thought it was cool the way he worked the lever action, even though it seems unrealistic at best. :D

sterling180
April 3, 2006, 06:41 PM
Not exactly a movie or a tv programme but on a computer-game

In resident evil 1, the original, the only shotgun you could get was a Remington M870, 7-shot 12 guage pump-action.

In Resident Evil 2, Leon Kennedy gets a Remington 1100 pump-action riot shotgun and later the parts, to transform it in to the enhanced shotgun(Remington 1100 semi-automatic sporting Shotgun.)

In Resident Evil 3, Jill Valentine gets the Benelli M3 12 guage Pump-Action Shotgun and later a Lever-Action Ithica M37.

In Resident Evil Survivor and Code Veronica-Ark Thompson and Chris Redfield, both acquire the SPAS-12 guage shotgun.

Spec ops Grunt
April 3, 2006, 07:34 PM
Not exactly a movie or a tv programme but on a computer-game

In resident evil 1, the original, the only shotgun you could get was a Remington M870, 7-shot 12 guage pump-action.

In Resident Evil 2, Leon Kennedy gets a Remington 1100 pump-action riot shotgun and later the parts, to transform it in to the enhanced shotgun(Remington 1100 semi-automatic sporting Shotgun.)

In Resident Evil 3, Jill Valentine gets the Benelli M3 12 guage Pump-Action Shotgun and later a Lever-Action Ithica M37.

In Resident Evil Survivor and Code Veronica-Ark Thompson and Chris Redfield, both acquire the SPAS-12 guage shotgun.

Resident Evil 4:

Remington 870
Striker/StreetSweeper/Protecta
Benile M4

G36-UK
April 3, 2006, 10:48 PM
Terminator had a cut-down 10-gauge Winchester M1887, If I
recall.

Half-Life and HL2 had SPAS-12 shotguns.

Warhammer 40K has shotguns used by the Arbites. (38,000 years from now and they're still using them. Not bad.)

The Chief in I Robot had what looked like a cut-down SPAS-12.

Chris Lambert had a cut-down shotgun of some sort in Fortress 2.

Hudzen-10 in Red Dwarf Series 3: The Last Day had some sort of shotgun.

If Manga counts, the Barjack in Angel of Death used SPAS-12s. Buckethead had a SPAS-15 with the 12's folding stock.

Run&Shoot
April 4, 2006, 10:48 PM
The professional hunter hired as security at the park has a rack of shotguns with fold-over stocks.

I am always amazed that no sci-fi writer ever gives their characters decent weaponry. In this case, a professional hunter is hired for security at the park. Supposedly he would be familiar with dangerous game hunting and appropriate firearms. And his "go to" gun is a 12 ga? >:banghead:

While the 12 ga. pump shotgun is a fairly adaptable and capable weapon it would not be my first choice for running herd on raptors, T-Rex, etc. I would be thinking of at least a couple of tanks, armored humvees with roof mount 50 BMG, some double rifles in 470 NE, or at least .458 WM or .416 RM. A couple of flame throwers for "suppression" :evil:, a grenade launcher (at least the M79 thumper, or better the Mk 19 40mm auto), lots of M240 MG and FAL/HK/M1A; and every guest gets their own .50 S&W in a shoulder holster! :what:

I can understand the scenarios where a creature attacks out of the blue and you have to fight with what you got, but in the scenarios where they are knowingly going into a bad situation with "other than earthly creatures", please sci-fi writers, start giving these poor schmucks something more than a pistol, AR-15 or shotgun! :D

Skofnung
April 4, 2006, 11:00 PM
Firefly:
Jayne uses a Mossberg 500 with a side folder and laser sight in a few episodes. "It's his will ya'll need to worry 'bout thwart'n."
Stitch uses a sawed off Winchester Model 12 in Jaynestown and pops a "mudder" with it.

Serenity:
Zoe uses an old Winchester pump (not sure which 1800 model it is...) with a strange optical sight added.

2TransAms
April 5, 2006, 12:33 AM
In Resident Evil, Alice snatches a shotgun(methinks its a Winchester but it's been a while) from the squad car right at the end when she leaves the hospital.

Then in Resident Evil:Apocalypse she totes around a pistol grip shotty of some sort. Hmmm...can't remember that one either,but it's not a Mossberg...here somebody help me out:

http://i.dir.bg/kino/films/4545/Resident_Evil_Apocalypse_80.jpg

2TransAms
April 5, 2006, 12:38 AM
Hey I can't believe nobody said this yet...Neo and Trinity in the Matrix! Didn't they use some SPAS-12's in Morpheus' rescue?

Devonai
April 5, 2006, 07:35 AM
Then in Resident Evil: Apocalypse she totes around a pistol grip shotty of some sort.

Looks like a Mossberg from the position of the safety.

If you watch the special features on the DVD, you'll learn that the weapon in that picture is not a prop. Now that I look at that picture you can see Milla's biceps and deltoids are quite flexed holding it up. :D

/me saves pic

beerslurpy
April 5, 2006, 09:33 AM
Firefly:
Jayne uses a Mossberg 500 with a side folder and laser sight in a few episodes. "It's his will ya'll need to worry 'bout thwart'n."
Stitch uses a sawed off Winchester Model 12 in Jaynestown and pops a "mudder" with it.

Serenity:
Zoe uses an old Winchester pump (not sure which 1800 model it is...) with a strange optical sight added.

Look closely at Vera, Jayne's custom rifle. It is really a saiga 12.

sterling180
April 5, 2006, 07:09 PM
Run and Shoot
You may or may not have read the Jurrasic Park novel(I have and I loved it.),you would know that the Professional Hunter-who is called Robert Muldoon-is a professional game hunter from the UK who had been working in Africa,prior to being recruited by John Hammond to work in his newly-created Jurrasic Park Island-on the Costa Rican island of Isla Nublar.

Anyway in the novel Muldoon has access to a weapon far more powerful than his SPAS-12 Shotgun and his holstered-pistol.This weapon is either a bazooka,a rocket-launcher or a grenade-launcher and was ordered to be custom-made for his use in Jurrasic Park, to despatch dangerous dinosaurs with, if ever there was a disaster like the one that occurred later on in both the novel and movie.

He takes INGEN lawyer Donald Gennaro(that guy who is eaten on the toilet-in the movie.) for a ride in a gasoline-powered jeep, to find Dennis Nedry-and when they find Nedry's jeep, they find his bloated corpse next to the jeep.So Muldoon opens the back door and removes the piece of metal-tubing and it's ammunition and proceeds with Gennaro back to their jeep-and they start heading back-I think-to either the Raptors pen or the visitors centre.Muldoon kills a few raptors with the launcher, but unfortunately he hands the ammo to Gennaro- who acted as his loader-but Gennaro craps his pants and runs away leaving old Muldoon with an empty launcher at the mercey of few angry, very much-alive raptors.

I don't understand why Speilberg did'nt give Muldoons character a rocket or grenade-launcher, in addition to his Spas12 shotgun.:) :)

THE DRILL INSTRUCTOR
April 6, 2006, 01:37 AM
If we delve into japanese animation, there was some freekin' cool slow motion shotty-action at the begining of the movie Appleseed.

justsurvivingincalifornia
April 6, 2006, 08:00 AM
FYI The shotgun in Starship Troopers was a Ithaca 37 with a short barrel under the ruger mini 14 in a bull-pup-stock.
I recognize the bolt becuase I own one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotguns in science fiction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!