Colt Woodsman Match Target 4.5" vs 6" 2nd Series

PDA

ZBill
March 27, 2006, 07:47 PM
I've never fired a Woodsman Match Target but have an possible opportunity to buy either 4.5 or 6 inch 2nd series. They both feel nicely balanced. I will not be shooting much over 20-25 yards. Plinking only; no bullseye matches. Would appreciate any recommendations, Regards, Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Woodsman Match Target 4.5" vs 6" 2nd Series" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ala Dan
March 27, 2006, 09:36 PM
Great gun Bill, in any barrel length. Since its a range gun, I would opt
for the longer barrel~!:D

ZBill
March 27, 2006, 10:08 PM
just realized these are 3rd series as the mag release is on the base of the grip. Are these still quality products? Best I recall is that the 4.5 inch SN is approximately 7XXX S and the 6 inch is 14X,XXX S. Regards, Bill

Standing Wolf
March 27, 2006, 10:41 PM
If you're going to add a scope to the gun, get the four-inch model for the lighter weight. If you're going to shoot it with iron sights, you'll probably do somewhat better with the longer barrel, which delivers a longer sight radius.

Assuming the guns are in good mechanical condition, barrel length will have very little impact upon accuracy: four inches is enough to stabilize a standard velocity .22 long rifle bullet.

Tigerseye
March 28, 2006, 01:05 AM
Yes, third model guns are very nice also.

As it happens, I have shot Woodsmans, including Match Target models, for several years, and find them to be routinely accurate and fun to shoot.

Have fun!

Tigerseye

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Woodsman Match Target 4.5" vs 6" 2nd Series" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!