S&W Model 52 Master

PDA

loadedround
March 27, 2006, 10:33 PM
Any of you old time Bullseye Shooters have any comments or opinions on the old Model 52 Master in 38 Spl WC? I purchased one a week ago after wanting one for 20 years and could never afford. I think it is one of the sweetist shooting pistols I have ever owned, and thankfully can reload wad cutter's for it. Haven't seen any wad cutter ammo on dealer's shelves for some time.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 52 Master" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
.45man
March 28, 2006, 12:16 AM
loadedround,

Great job landing a nice gun!!!!! Well, lets see some pics:D :D

The 52 is a wonderfully accurate pistol. It does however, require a much higher level of effort from the shooter. Follow-through, trigger technique, and good ammo are very critical.

I have one (you can see it here: http://home.comcast.net/~45man/misc_images/IMG_1310-1.jpg
and here: http://home.comcast.net/~45man/misc_images/IMG_1311-1.jpg

Great gun.....amazingly accurate. I purchsed mine NIB from a collector who claimed he had over 11 of them. First day at the range, I managed to put ten rounds into 1.2 inches from 27 yards.

I have some load data you are welcome to look at regarding the 52. Just click on the .357 tab on the Excel spreadsheet in the link.http://home.comcast.net/~45man/misc_images/Load_Data_10_Feb_06.xls

All the best with your new toy!!!

If you find yourself crossing the Walt Whitman anytime soon, drop me a line, you are welcome to join me at a range that me and three other gun nuts own (seen here: http://home.comcast.net/~45man/misc_images/rangehelo2.jpg

LHB1
March 28, 2006, 12:39 AM
Congrats on a fine pistol. Enjoy yourself. Pictures???

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

loadedround
March 28, 2006, 08:08 AM
45Man: Thank you for your kind commentand information. Like yours, mine was LNIB w/box, 3 mags, manual and all paperwork, plus both wrenches. I'm still happy as a pig in s---! I will certainly take up your kind offer if I get over to N.J. in the future. Scares the devil out of me to travel there with a handgun in my car however.

bdutton
March 28, 2006, 11:00 AM
The SW-52 is crap!

To be merciful, I will take it off your hands at whatever price you paid for it.

:evil: :D :D :D

BigG
March 28, 2006, 11:28 AM
I have a 52-2 .38 Master, like new with box & docs. They really are a great pistol. The wadcutters you have to roll your own unless you can find a reasonable source of factory. Georgia Arms is the only one I've found that makes em properly for a fair price.

loadedround
March 28, 2006, 02:31 PM
Bdutton: Anything is possible at the right price. You can always make me an offer for this POS. LOMAO!:what:

HankB
March 28, 2006, 04:49 PM
IMHO the S&W Model 52 is one of the two really nice semi-auto pistols made by S&W, the other being the Model 41. (Would amend this statement since S&W is now making a 1911 clone . . . except for the stupid Rugeresque warning they're putting on the side. :barf: )

Care to share what you paid for it - or is it somewhere between "Thats a lot" or "OMG, you spent WHAT?!?!" ;)

loadedround
March 28, 2006, 08:24 PM
HankB. Are you ready for this? I paid 775.00 in a FTF deal. No, I don't really want to sell it. BTW it is a 52-2.:D

HankB
March 28, 2006, 09:40 PM
Loadedround, ya done alright.

BTW, you CAN load conventional bullets in the pistol - what you have to do is shorten the brass so the resultant loaded round is the same OAL as a wadcutter. (Sometimes brass thickness has to be dealt with . . . )

I know this because several decades ago I encountered a gentleman with a couple of Model 52s, and one of them was his "defense" pistol for which he loaded hotter rounds in shortened brass. It seemed to work OK . . .

Well, it takes all kinds . . . personally, if it were my Model 52, I'd reserve it for the standard wadcutter target ammo it was meant for.

BigG
March 29, 2006, 09:43 AM
HankB: As my father always said, "Where there's a will, there's a way."

Funny what people will do to work around a problem. Wonder if some .38 short Colt ctgs would work thru the magazine, now that you mention it?

The Mag works exactly like a big 22 LR mag, with the button on the side, etc.

Dale Taylor
March 29, 2006, 11:03 AM
I purchased my 52-2 new 30+ years ago. Threw box away. Never a malfunction. Only have 2 magazines. Have even used it for carry when I got CCW. Wouldn't part with it. daleltaylor@att.net

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 52 Master" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!