A Strange Wal Mart Experience

PDA

Zero_DgZ
March 28, 2006, 10:19 AM
Now, I'm not usually one to give much of my money to old Sam. I'm not a fan of his business practices, but this ain't the time or place for that.

I stopped by the local Wally world on the way to my Nephew's place yesterday to grab some ammo, because he just got a new gun and we were thinking about going shooting. Got myself a box of that cheapo Winchester white box birdshot and figured I'd grab a couple of other things on the old 'while I'm here' principle.

Which is probably how that place makes most of their money.

Grabbed some washer fluid because I was out and some epoxy putty to fill that danged hole that's been in the front of my gearshift ever since I bought my car and driving me bats.

So at the checkout, the lady (a middle aged and for once sensible looking Wal Mart worker) scans the washer fluid and the epoxy putty and the computer squeals at her so she asks me for ID, which I have ready. But it took us both a second before we realized that the computer wasn't complaining about the ammo - She hadn't scanned it yet.

It was complaining about the epoxy putty. Apparently ya gotta be a legal adult to buy the stuff now, god forbid any minors go patching holes in their radiators or something. We had a short and puzzled conversation about that and when she scanned the ammo fully expected it to ask again.

But it didn't.

"That's odd," we say to each other, and agree to scan the ammo again after we finish the sale. So she scans it again all by its lonesome and the computer doesn't ask for ID as we fully expect it to.

If that doesn't just beat all. A ten year old could waltz into a Wally World and buy a gallon of deadly denatured alcohol and a 100 round pack of 12 gauge birdshot but not the epoxy putty. Man, this country keeps getting stranger.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Strange Wal Mart Experience" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
real_name
March 28, 2006, 10:23 AM
I'm guessing there are fumes in the epoxy that can intoxicate.
But it's still odd, do kids run around raves with epoxy putty held under their noses now? :eek:

Sistema1927
March 28, 2006, 10:23 AM
Yep, the country is crazy. Why shouldn't a 10 year old be allowed to buy shotgun shells? I was buying them at age 11.

'Card
March 28, 2006, 10:27 AM
When epoxy is outlawed, only outlaws will be able to patch their radiators!

Zero_DgZ
March 28, 2006, 10:28 AM
You have a point there, too.

Nitrogen
March 28, 2006, 10:31 AM
My fianceť is a teacher, and she told me why:

Apparently kids like to sniff things like Whiteout, Epoxy, rubber cement, etc, and get high.

So Wal-Mart decides you need to show ID to get anything that can get you high, much like stores in my area make you show ID to get cold medicine.

Since you can't get high off of ammunition, I guess it's okay.
Or something.

OH25shooter
March 28, 2006, 10:33 AM
What's next, antifreeze? One might be buying it to feed to the tom-cat roaming the neighborhood, crapping in their flower beds. Mmmm, it taste good.

Zero_DgZ
March 28, 2006, 10:34 AM
I don't think 'high' is quite the right description for being exposed to epoxy putty fumes. In my experience 'watery eyed with burning nostrils, and that damn dead fish smell all over your hands that you can't get off for a week' is a better way to word it.

I certainly wouldn't want to do it recreationally. Yeesh.

fiVe
March 28, 2006, 10:36 AM
I think they just wanted to be sure you weren't a crazy kid trying to glue shotgun shells together. :neener:

V4Vendetta
March 28, 2006, 10:38 AM
I used to be into model rockets as a hobby. I had to have my mom with me just to buy the engines. This was at Walmart. The funny thing is, the box said for ages 12 & up. I was 12. The Walmart guy said I needed to be 13.

merk
March 28, 2006, 10:51 AM
Two years ago when I used to ride the bus to school, about ten kids in the back would pass around a few cans of axe body spray and get high off it. I hated that damn bus.

Kramer Krazy
March 28, 2006, 10:56 AM
From about 10pm until 7am, our Walmart is not supposed to sell spray paint to ANYONE because of a city ordnance. When you can buy it, they are supposed to check and make sure you are 18+ years old.

Justin
March 28, 2006, 10:58 AM
We are slowly but surely creating a world that will protect the lowest common denominator from itself.

HankB
March 28, 2006, 11:03 AM
Apparently kids like to sniff things like Whiteout, Epoxy, rubber cement, etc, and get high.When I was a kid, it was model airplane glue . . . kids somewhere - we never did find out where - were supposedly squeezing a tube of it into a baggie and sniffing it, so "they" decided young kids should no longer buy model glue. :(

Funny thing is, I never liked the smell - if I tried building a model airplane or battleship or something and got too much of it, I got a headache - no pleasurable "buzz" at all.

Same with drugs - when I got my impacted wisdom teeth extracted, I was given prescriptions for Tylenol 3 and Percocet for pain relief . . . I didn't like the sensation of having about 1/3 of my brain cells shut down while I was still awake, so I flushed them and went to plain Tylenol.

I guess I just don't have it in me to be a good druggie . . . :rolleyes:

DMSHEPARD
March 28, 2006, 12:51 PM
HankB +1, I have been on Vicoden (sp) for the last 5 days for tooth problems, and I can't see for the life of me why it is so popular as a recreational drug. It barely dulls the pain, and it certainly has nothing to offer in the thrills department.

"Card: LOL

migoi
March 28, 2006, 01:02 PM
I stopped by my local Sports Authority to pick up some 12 gauge buckshot rounds for a 3-gun bowling pin match I was going to participate in. I retrieved them from the gun section and took them to the register in front to pay.

In line in front of me was a guy, about my same age, mid-forties, with a container of paint balls. When he got to the register the clerk asked to see his drivers licence so she could enter his birthdate. He complied, no big deal (have to be 18+ to buy paintballs here apparently). After he left, I came up and started pulling out my drivers license for the expected birthdate questions...didn't happen.

The register was programmed to ask for the birthdate of anyone buying paintballs but there was not such requirement for purchasing 12 gauge 00 buck shells.

migoi

johnnytang24
March 28, 2006, 01:27 PM
I really can't fault businesses for asking for ID. I don't think they want to any more than you want to be IDed, but they do want to cover their butts in this ever litigious society. I wouldn't be suprised if some parent sued because their kid sniffed too much Wal-Mart glue, got brain damage, and jumped off a bridge. Because that's obviously Wal-Mart's fault.

Thanks.

spooney
March 28, 2006, 01:39 PM
It didn't prompt for the Shotgun shells because you had already proved that you were 18 when you bought the Epoxy. When you said that you "scanned it again when you were done" was that after you had already paid for everything? Or was that part of the same transaction? If it was after you had paid then it should have prompted but if it was part of the same transaction the computer had already found out you were 18.

Zero_DgZ
March 28, 2006, 01:43 PM
No, we scanned it again as part of a new transaction, after I paid. It was sort of an afterthought, because the clerk didn't know what it would do.

No ID check.

Mizzac
March 28, 2006, 01:43 PM
Is when you go through the self checkout with one tube of super glue. The scanner is prompted to ask for age verification, and "Little Billy" struts over and says Sir, I need to see some ID, please". More fun than one can imagine, especially when you're in a hurry.

Sorry my first post sounds like whining. I'm really a hoot when you get to know me!:neener:

spooney
March 28, 2006, 01:44 PM
No, we scanned it again as part of a new transaction, after I paid. It was sort of an afterthought, because the clerk didn't know what it would do.

No ID check.

That is strange I have never had the register not prompt for ammo when it is supposed to.

mr_dove
March 28, 2006, 01:50 PM
I believe that you can get "high" with anything that prevents oxygen from getting to your brain. Just about any gas that can fill your lungs and displace oxygen will cause a high. Cans of compresses air for cleaning computer keyboards requires proof of age in some areas.

Heck, kids get high choking themselves too. I guess that's the economy high.

Taipei Personality
March 28, 2006, 02:00 PM
Okay, research time. Maybe the federal ID law is 18 for rifle and 21 for handgun, but shotgun isn't addressed? Off to FindLaw . . .

Nope, 18 for long gun. Shoots that theory . . .

f4t9r
March 28, 2006, 02:04 PM
Wal mart here all ammo must be purchased at the sporting goods counter or whatever you call the place where the ammo is.

scooterthegreat
March 28, 2006, 02:06 PM
I seem to remember that for a while, stores in Green Bay WI wouldn't sell anyone tin foil and drain opener at the same time.

jojosdad
March 28, 2006, 02:49 PM
kids somewhere - we never did find out where - were supposedly squeezing a tube of it into a baggie and sniffing it
That somewere apparently was in my neighborhood of CA - had a few kids in my high school in Santa Barbara who huffed enough glue to totally destroy their short and longterm memories.
I seem to remember that for a while, stores in Green Bay WI wouldn't sell anyone tin foil and drain opener at the same time.
IIRC that this is part of a recipie for bathtub crank.

Zero_DgZ
March 28, 2006, 03:07 PM
No, it was one of those lame text file 'anarchy bombs' or whatever the heck. You were supposed to mix Drano with aluminum foil in a soda bottle or something to generate hydrogen, eventually overpressuring the bottle with a bang.

Apparently enough kids splashed frothing hydrochloric acid all over themselves that somebody got up in arms about it.

But yes, the 'drug synthesis' excuse gets thrown around a lot. You would not believe the sorts of things people will tell you with a straight face that they truly and honestly believe tweakers are using to make meth. It serves as a rationalization for just about anything, if you twist it hard enough.

john1911
March 28, 2006, 05:18 PM
It's amazing what we will put up with for "public safety". If people want to buy something then harm or kill themselves with it, let them. There are way too many idiots in this country wasting oxygen. Why not let them thin their own ranks. Any lawyer who brings a suit on behalf of these morons should be disbarred. The world would be a lot better if there were fewer dumbasses.
:cuss: :banghead: :cuss: :banghead:
John

jerkface11
March 28, 2006, 05:30 PM
The walmart here only asks for ID on PISTOL ammo. So shotgun shells wouldn't require it. As for there being a federal law about it baloney. Walmart is the ONLY place i've ever bought ammo that asked for ID. It's simply store policy. They ask me if it's for a pistol I say no and that's that.

ACORN
March 28, 2006, 05:43 PM
WallyWorld asked me for ID when I was buying toenail clippers. Not "assault toenail clippers" with folding stock, flash hider, and 30 round mag, just pain old clippers.

Kestrel
March 28, 2006, 05:59 PM
Why don't they just herd all of us up and put us in rubber padded rooms? Where is it going to end?

About a year ago, while out of town, I went into a WalMart to buy some camera batteries. I think I had three packs (there were two to a pack). These were the CR123A cells, the same that SureFire flashlights, as well as MANY other devices use. In other words, a common battery.

So, I try to buy a total of 6 batteries - (3) 2-packs. The register wouldn't let me. It said I wasn't allowed to buy that many. The customer service "lady" said they could be used to make bombs. So, I scanned two of them, it accepted that and then I paid for the third separately - with the same CC. (and no, they weren't on sale, with a special promotion or anything.)

Bombs? I'm not sure I even want to take the time to verbalize the insanity in all this. How many BILLIONS of dollars in the economy is being LOST, due to nanny-state retardedness? How many brain-cycles are being spent and lost, due to this foolishness? How many things are not being invented, discovered or problems being solved, due to a culture-in-charge that seeks to handcuff ANYONE that might do something outside of what that culture wants them to do.

What would ever happen if an individual actually did something and needed a bandaid??? A bandaid!? That culture can't bear the thought of people being free and free to make a mistake.

This is what happens when the government of a country becomes the sole focus of the country.

BigRobT
March 28, 2006, 06:04 PM
Personally, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the "Nanny State". I used to be able and run in and buy smokes for my mom and grandma at 6 years old. A person would have a heart attack should a youngster attempt that now.

mrmeval
March 28, 2006, 06:34 PM
I used to buy .22lr ammo when a kid. So?

half elf
March 28, 2006, 06:42 PM
I got carded for a movie last month, and almost lost it, I could see if it was a R, or a PG13, but I am 40yrs old, and was buying "Snow white, and the Three Stooges". I didn't remember anything in that movie to provoke a carding, and told them so. I try not to buy things that cause ID check.
PS Lithium Batteries are used in making meth, along with cold meds containing psuedo-ephidrines, drano, and a lot of other things most of us would not knowingly ingest, possibly proving why it is called DOPE

k_semler
March 28, 2006, 06:48 PM
Wal-mart also IDs for fuel additives, (like Gum-Out). Apperently kids huff that. When the clerk asked for my ID, I asked him what idiot would drink this crap? That's when he told me that kids huff the crap.:barf:

Stainless Chili
March 28, 2006, 06:54 PM
Cans of compresses air for cleaning computer keyboards requires proof of age in some areas. Five highschool girls were on the Bypass a few years ago, in the afternoon. The driver was whacked out big time. All five killed.

The coroner went to a stationary store, bought the stuff, and huffed it while parked in his economy car.

While his experiment was controversial to some, the "Not my daughter, no not her!" mother had not a leg to stand upon when he rendered his decision.

This was the Rt. 1 Media Bypass, a few miles west of Philadelphia, about five years ago.

another okie
March 28, 2006, 06:54 PM
My late father bought his first gun through the mail when he was 13.

Recently I tried to buy a novel in an airport bookstore in Munich, Germany, and the clerk demanded to see and scan my passport and airline ticket.

I was so astonished I agreed, though I should have just walked out.

I hung around for a minute and watched and they were demanding it from everyone, so it wasn't that that novel I purchased was some sort of tactical, ninja novel.

NewShooter
March 28, 2006, 07:06 PM
I'm 35 and I was carded at Wallyworld for 3 and 1 oil a few weeks ago. Soon I think we'll just scan our licenses along with our credit cards for all purchases.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Strange Wal Mart Experience" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!