gas checks in 357 mag

PDA

dakotasin
March 28, 2006, 10:36 PM
fellas... i want to work up some nuclear-level loads in my 357 mag using cast bullets, but i can't find any commercially available cast bullets for a 357 that comes w/ gas checks.

does this mean i need to keep looking, or does this mean gas checks aren't necessary?

If you enjoyed reading about "gas checks in 357 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve C
March 29, 2006, 11:07 AM
Cast Performance gas checked bullets can be bought from Midway or directly from http://castperformance.com

dakotasin
March 29, 2006, 01:14 PM
i was hoping to stick w/ 158 grain bullets - or something close to that; cp has gas checks for 180's and heavier...

so, is there a source for ~158 grain cast gas checks, or are they just not necessary?

HankB
March 29, 2006, 02:09 PM
I haven't seen commercially cast .357 gascheck bullets in a long time . . . and that was just from a local guy at a local gun show. IMHO the added cost (materials and labor) involved in making cast gaschecked bullets probably dictate a noticeably higher price, which greatly reduces the market, unless you're aiming at a niche like CPB which specializes in heavyweight LBT designs.

I found I had to cast my own - the Lyman 358156 is a good design, with two crimp grooves.

Steve C
March 29, 2006, 03:57 PM
i was hoping to stick w/ 158 grain bullets - or something close to that

If you go to the CP website, they list a 160gr .358 gas check bullet in their product catalog. Midway only sell 180gr and up.

If you enjoyed reading about "gas checks in 357 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!