Since becoming a member of THR you have ____.

PDA

sm
March 29, 2006, 11:47 AM
-Became more involved in something, perhaps became an Instructor, attended Training Classes, Became more attentive to RKBA efforts and more involved in those efforts.

-You starting competing in a discipline began writing for personal fulfillment, or your works have been submitted and published. Maybe you even started your own forum, assist on a sister forum, or started your own Blog.

-Something else.

Fill in the blank please.

Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Since becoming a member of THR you have ____." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
trickyasafox
March 29, 2006, 12:47 PM
started reloading, applied for Curio and Relics liscense, and became far more aware of RKBA issues

Hawk
March 29, 2006, 12:49 PM
...gone broke.

AJ Dual
March 29, 2006, 12:53 PM
Had two sets of twin girls in eleven months...

www.walkowiaks.com

And of course, my shooting and collecting has gone to hell...

El Tejon
March 29, 2006, 01:07 PM
Somehow still remained bear and puma free even though I know now that they are out there waiting to get me.:uhoh:

MikeH
March 29, 2006, 01:09 PM
... grown a little older and hopefully a little wiser, too.

Lennyjoe
March 29, 2006, 01:15 PM
Started reloading, purchased more weapons, obtained a C&R and introduced my son to the shooting community.

1911Tuner
March 29, 2006, 01:23 PM
AJ Dual has my vote for the accomplishment that's gonna be hard to top!:cool:

Done many things since signin' on. I'll try to come up with a list.:scrutiny:

Rockrivr1
March 29, 2006, 01:28 PM
Got married for the second time against the advise of most THRers. Not to mention have started "Black Ops" gun purchases that never show on the books. Just gotta be careful so I don't end up in an Enron fiasco. ;)

riverdog
March 29, 2006, 01:32 PM
Between THR and the TFL that preceeded THR, I started taking my shooting much more seriously. THR definitely got me into the shotgun sports. Before I had one 870M that stayed in the bedroom; now I have three 870s, a Citori 525 and a BT-99 -- BA/UU/R.

Another website got me into service rifle competition, specifically the Garand.

BozemanMT
March 29, 2006, 01:32 PM
bought a crapload of firearms.
Before I didn't even have a shelf on a closet
now, all of a sudden, my safe is full
:cool:

old4x4
March 29, 2006, 01:45 PM
Started Carrying CCW. I already had a CCW, but never used it. Now I do.

Larry Ashcraft
March 29, 2006, 01:49 PM
Obtained my CCW and started carrying. Became more active in RKBA activities locally by joining the FNRA fund raiser committee.

AND, bought two 28 shotguns and started shooting clays more. ;)

Stickjockey
March 29, 2006, 01:51 PM
-learned a boatload of interesting (and sometimes even useful) stuff about a lot of different subjects

-found a huge number of people who are a lot smarter than I am

-reactivated my CCW permit

-become a whole lot more libertarian in my political thought

-become a buch more politically active

MatthewVanitas
March 29, 2006, 01:54 PM
Are we counting our time at TFL before the Great Migration?

-- Received several CCW permits

-- Started shooting some IDPA

-- Taken various newbies to the range

-- Bought way too many guns, trimmed down the collection, and now own just the right number (or so)

-- Working with MacPelto to revive the UT Austin Rifle and Pistol Club on-campus. First "Free Shooting Class" is tonight, will have to report back as to how many college kids show up for that.

-MV

PlayboyPenguin
March 29, 2006, 03:09 PM
learned that armor plated bears are just waiting for the chance to eat me.

learned that anything smaller than a .44mag is not a real gun.

spent tons of money on guns I will never need.

spent tons of money on ammo I will never see again.

bought a gunsafe.

rejoined the NRA.

dusted off my CCW permit.

realized my aim is not as steady as it used to be.

Darth Ruger
March 29, 2006, 03:12 PM
...found that many people respond with unnecessary sarcasm when a stated opinion differs from their own.

...been exposed to other points of view that hadn't occurred to me previously, which has opened my eyes to some things I thought I knew.

...learned a lot about guns and other issues from people with more knowledge/experience than myself.

...been able to help a few people here and there with information I had that they were looking for.

...sold a .308 tactical rifle that I wish I hadn't.

...added a few hundred more links to my bookmarks. :D

mustanger98
March 29, 2006, 03:18 PM
...started griping about commies a lot more often.

Darth Ruger said:
...found that many people respond with unnecessary sarcasm when a stated opinion differs from their own.

That's the truth.

eastwood44mag
March 29, 2006, 03:35 PM
-Applied for C&R and gotten angry when it fails to come in

-Bought more damn guns than I know what to do with

-Gone broke multiple times

Black Majik
March 29, 2006, 03:42 PM
- Realized that I need MORE than 1 handgun, shotgun, and rifle
- Got a revolver which I never shoot
- Got a Glock :what:
- Paid over $1K for a firearm.
- became a much better shooter just by reading the posts here
- realized what a great buncha people you guys and gals are. Awww!! :D
- Spend waay too much time here... work, home, friends house anything...
- Learned that there is a chance to get a CCW in California, especially in my County...
- Tried out USPSA and loved it
- Learned a whole buncha stuff about general firearm knowledge
- Learned to detail strip my 1911
- Learned that the 1911 platform IS THE BEST PLATFORM OUT THERE!!! :D
- Learned that Glock owners hate it when we call their guns plastic
- Learned about CZ and realized how great of a company they really are
- Shot a 500S&W Magnum, .50 BMG, .454 Casull, .480 Ruger and lived through all of em'
- Realized how much I loved to shoot trap, hopefully to get into skeet, sporting clays, 5 stand, wobble trap etc..
- realized its not the gun but the person shooting it
- Met a buncha great people
- Took a buncha new people out to learn to shoot and try out my hobby
- Took my 2 little sisters out shooting for their first time :D
- Learned out addicting 1911s are
- Learned more about stance, grip, and other basic fundamentals
- Learned ways to kick bad habits for shooting
- Learned about flinching and how to combat that
- Learned more in depth about the crappy political gun climate in California
- Realized that I like to shoot with iron sights more than optics.
- Realized that SAO is my favorite action, DA/SA next
- Realized that carrying one in the chamber is not unsafe.

- Learned that A MAGAZINE IS NOT A CLIP!!! :D

Rock45
March 29, 2006, 04:06 PM
I've tripled the number of firearms I own and added maybe 25 lbs (it's storage for SHTF)

Bryan:)

ArmedBear
March 29, 2006, 04:14 PM
*multiplied my gun collection while wanting even more, not because I'm greedy but because I now know there's a specific need for each of many calibers, barrel lengths, gauges, action types, etc., etc.
*learned how to get a legal AR in California.
*bought a couple AR stripped lowers and never built the guns.
*eaten something I had to go out and kill, rather than buy in plastic wrap.
*learned why I shouldn't like my Mini-14, even though I do like it.
*bought 6 milsurp guns. 4 are still in grease, one is in for repairs, but one of them shoots really well...
*found that there's something special about holding a SMLE in my hands.
*met some great people.
*been told I'm a "cop bigot" because I'm fond of quaint notions like the Rule of Law, the Bill of Rights, and because I don't worship LEOs I haven't even met.
*found out I'm not really a libertarian because I defend the actions of law enforcement when they are right, and the right of cops to go home alive.
*found myself defending the Bush Administration not because I want to, but because the attacks against them were insane
*still never bought anything in .40S&W
*had a good time

Thanks, all!:)

Trisha
March 29, 2006, 04:47 PM
-successfully perpetuated nurturing fledgling hope that the 'stereotypical' male gun owner doesn't defend an intrinsic penchant for violence toward kindred men & women in the GLBT community.

Old fears are awkward to dismantle completely. Likewise, buddding hopes seem to remain fragile and tenuous for a long time. . .

Trisha

Legionnaire
March 29, 2006, 05:15 PM
Had two sets of twin girls in eleven months...:what: THAT one's hard to beat! Took us six years to generate four young'uns!

But in answer to the question, "Since joining THR I have ..."

1. Fled from NY to PA
2. Sold a pre-ban Colt AR15 to buy a .300 win mag Sendero
3. Decided that 9mm isn't so bad after all (although I still prefer .40 or 10mm)
4. Took the thought of reloading past the "contemplation" stage. I now have a bench and 80% of the equipment needed ... but still need to load my first cartridge
5. Bought my first SxS shotgun

Mizzle187
March 29, 2006, 05:30 PM
Got engaged to be married!:uhoh: Applied for my CCW which will be in next week(90+ days later!) . Joined the NRA. Got my better half into shooting! Oh and the most noticable have boughten a CRAP LOAD(more than I can caount on two hands!) of weapons and accessories. Ive also learned more about firearms and the firearms industry as well as the 2nd Amnd than I could ever imagine and Im still learning! Thanks THR!

Darth Ruger
March 29, 2006, 05:42 PM
Forgot to add:

...been accused of being a crappy parent. (I have to admit, that was a first for me.)

...acquired two dogs and two cats. (My wife won't stop bringing animals home. :cuss: )

...travelled to another state to buy a truck that was supposedly in excellent condition, only to find out when I got there that it needed a new engine, transmission, and suspension and wouldn't even make the trip home.

...moved out of California.

...watched the joy on my sons' faces (age 6 & 7) when they popped their first balloon with their new air rifles.

...was surprised when my 17 year old daughter told me she was actually interested in learning to shoot a rifle.

mbs357
March 29, 2006, 05:44 PM
I started eating a lot more instant noodles.
Even for breakfest.
*shrug*

starplayer
March 29, 2006, 06:21 PM
haha, same as mbs357 but my grades have dropped from spending so much time on this

gunsmith
March 29, 2006, 06:38 PM
found a huge number of people who are a lot smarter than I am

gone broke

been impressing the girls with my knowledge of firearms:D

gulogulo1970
March 29, 2006, 07:14 PM
I've gotten married. My kind of anti-gun wife bought me a gun for Christmas, only gun I've ever received as a gift. That is progress, my friends!

I've bought way more guns than I can really afford or need. You only live once.

I don't buy gun magazines much anymore, all of their information is a commercial or is out of date. This is saying something, I used to buy them all.

One bad thing, I read and aquire guns more than I shoot them. Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either. :confused:

I've learned that I'm not the only gun geek out there.

MagnumCaliber357
March 29, 2006, 07:33 PM
I think more than anything i have gained an extensive knoledge about firearms and ammunition. I have also learned how to fix simple firearms problems for myself like trigger slap or jams. Im glad a joined THR and i think this is the best collection of intellegent individuals i have ever encountered over the internet. Thank you everyone for the advice you have give me and others :D

308win
March 29, 2006, 07:49 PM
Spend way to much time here
Realized that I have a long way to go to have enough guns to qualify as too many
Become less tolerant of blissninnys
Learned what a statist is
Appreciate Ohio more when I read posts from CA, MY, MA, IL (even though I used to live there)
Got a high speed internet connection so I can get more done in the time I spend here (still way too much)
Learned not to spend time on GWB threads and am rapidly developing the same aversion to illegal immigrant threads
Developed a fixation on building my own AR (at least the lower) and on owning an M1

Ala Dan
March 29, 2006, 08:02 PM
Hopefully I've gained many friends, by being a friend to other's~!:D

Standing Wolf
March 29, 2006, 08:43 PM
I've resumed competing in bullseye matches, and am scheduled for firearms training certification next week end, plus I've sent heaven only knows how many letters and E-mail messages to elected misrepresentatives.

f4t9r
March 29, 2006, 08:51 PM
learned I can not spell very well and my grammer is terrible.
also learned a little about the reason I came here (Guns) !!!!

Rembrandt
March 29, 2006, 09:06 PM
....(damn forums are addicting)....don't go to the bathroom as frequently.....learned to hold my bladder longer.

grampster
March 29, 2006, 09:39 PM
Developed a huge callous on my right pointer finger from using the wheel on the mouse to scroll through posts here on TFL, on APS etc.:p

Have been able to carry on some great conversations with folks I never would have met if not for THR et al.

Read some really interesting stuff that people think about or do.

Wedge
March 29, 2006, 09:53 PM
- Bought a shotgun
- Started voting
- Got my NY state CCW
- Got my first pistol
- Started reloading
- Started voting libertarian
- Write politicians
- Write reporters
- Moved from NY to Texas
- Went dove hunting
- Went hog hunting
- Went Redfish fishing

Twycross
March 29, 2006, 09:54 PM
- Changed political parties and many of my opinions on various issues

- Acquired an interest in 'tactical' firearms

- Firmly resolved to get a CWP at the first legal moment (641 days to go :fire: )

- Learned that I am a rather poor shot with a pistol

- Decided not to buy any more cheap scopes

huntingnt
March 29, 2006, 09:54 PM
Realized that there is a great number of the undead/beasts/supernatural creatures that require I keep a good collection to insure that I have the proper caliber when attacked.
Received great loading,hunting, and gunsmithing advice.
Spend way too much time surfing this forum! It should be listed like a controlled substance. Just what we need, another federal agency to look over our shoulder! HAHAHA

mustanger98
March 29, 2006, 10:04 PM
Realized that with...

great number of the undead/beasts/supernatural creatures that require I keep a good collection to insure that I have the proper caliber when attacked.

...there's no way I'll have the right gun on my person when attacked because 1) it'll always be something I hadn't planned on running into that day, and 2) everybody has an opinion on what the right gun/ammo for a given something is in the first place.:eek: :D :D :D :D :D

mbs357
March 29, 2006, 10:18 PM
Developed a huge callous on my right pointer finger from using the wheel on the mouse to scroll through posts here on TFL, on APS etc.
Noob, you're supposed to use your middle finger. :p

stevekl
March 29, 2006, 10:24 PM
Started hating old people.

MrTwigg
March 29, 2006, 10:27 PM
:D

brandyspaw
March 29, 2006, 10:37 PM
Since about the same time I became semi-retired and I started shooting
more often. I've also sold off a lot of safe queens I have no use for
and have been replacing them with more shooters and have been
getting more ammo as well as doing more reloading. I think I've actually
spent too much time on the gun thing as I need to spend more time on
my other hobbies but for now I'm happy.

el44vaquero
March 30, 2006, 12:17 AM
Invested in a flamesuit, and have a nice start to a tinfoil hat collection. ;)

sfhogman
March 30, 2006, 12:49 AM
Become less tolerant of:

The city I live in
Blissninnies

Become most appreciative of the job done by the moderators and owners of this forum.

Thanks.

MSgt B
March 30, 2006, 12:58 AM
I finally decided to take the plunge and buy my own home.

For many years I have been OK with the process of registering all my guns with the Security Police (I live on a military base) and acquiring "permission" from my squadron commander to keep the guns in my residence.

I guess I finally realized how much I was being treated like a child.

bigun15
March 30, 2006, 01:26 AM
Learned that people in other states actually CARRY REAL GUNS ON THEIR BELTS OMG OMG.

Become jealous of people in other states

Learned that The Golden State is kinda getting duller and duller over time.

Missashot
March 30, 2006, 08:41 AM
Bought more guns than my budget allows.:evil:
Learned how to reload. (Saved money on ammo to buy more guns!):what:
Tried to get Kramer Krazy to buy me more guns!:D

Rock_Steady
March 30, 2006, 09:02 AM
-started reloading, kinda. I have all this brass ready to go and primed, just haven't taken that last step and actually measured out powder. Strange, eh?

-Bought a 1911. Geez, guys, why not give me a vial of crack instead? Probably easier on the wallet.

-Started reading about all kinds of weapons, not just the ones I have. I'm afraid of turning into "That Guy" at the gunshop.

-Am now qualified to go into any pawnshop and wonder how the heck they can charge thise prices on these used guns. $320 for a used marlin .22wmr?

-Have more guns than I know what to do with. And I need more.

-Made my wife wonder why my nightstand drawer is full of ammo for a handgun AND a shotgun

-Chased off some would-be robbers of the neighbor's truck when I heard his passenger side window get broken at 3 A.M. Sometimes racking the slide does get attention.

-got my CCW and started carrying.

flashman70
March 30, 2006, 09:05 AM
Begun preparing for a possible change in the majority control of Congress and a Hillary presidency. (Dale Carnegie always counseled accepting the worst that could happen and then preparing for how to make it better.) This involves buying all the firearms one wants while one still can.

I've begun shopping for a safe - a more complicated decision tree than I 1st imagined.

crazed_ss
March 30, 2006, 09:08 AM
- Learned that I own one of the most despised rifles ever created :(

fiVe
March 30, 2006, 10:24 AM
received my Fla. CWL and started carrying...

become less gun ignorant (I still work on this one almost daily)...

realized what a wonderful, bottom-less resource THR is (the world of gun-fu is huge)

#shooter
March 30, 2006, 10:55 AM
• Obtained my CCW
• Obtained my C&R
• Got more politically active with RKBA issues
• Started to read the federalist papers

Hook686
March 30, 2006, 11:21 AM
... begun spending more time at the range, and more money on firearms.

CAS700850
March 30, 2006, 11:22 AM
-stopped violating the constitutional rights of people as a prosecutor, and started protecting those rights as a Magistrate. :D

- thought, thought, and rethought the contents of my gun safe.

- thought, thought, and rethought my family's plan for "bugging in" and "bugging out".

- made many friends whose faces I wouldn't recognize of they were right in front of me.

- confirmed that my love for all things gun related truly does make me weird, but that I am at least in good company in being so.

308win
March 30, 2006, 03:52 PM
Oh yes, and I cleaned all of the coffee cans out of my cars, house, garage, etc.:D

Checkman
March 30, 2006, 03:59 PM
Have become a certified police firearms instructor.
Have become a revolver nut.
Have filled up my safe with many revolvers.
Have increased my knowledge on all things involving firearms and ballistics.

NMshooter
March 30, 2006, 09:15 PM
...had far more fun than some folks think should be legal.:cool:

And all for the cost of a few hours here and there!

Not to mention the folks I never would have met otherwise, that alone was well worth every minute I have ever spent here.:D

19112XS
March 30, 2006, 11:18 PM
Have read a lot of good stuff.

Have met a lot of good people.

Thanks y'all.

homeka45
March 31, 2006, 01:22 AM
Bought quite a few C&R rifles, built a couple of ARs and am assembling the tools to build a few more AKs. Also learned a lot more about my favorite subject, firearms.:)

Eleven Mike
March 31, 2006, 01:33 AM
Had two sets of twin girls in eleven months...

www.walkowiaks.com

Oh, I thought you meant something else entirely. My bad.

What's with the crack on old folks?

txgho1911
March 31, 2006, 03:17 PM
Back into guns.
wife/gf sits on a fence. I do not know what fence.
Carry every where and every way I can do so legaly without losing my job over it.
Aquired 2 rifles with to much money and now trying to justify additional uppers as they do not include the lower reciever.
Started reloading and loading my own ammo and discovering everything I make can be unique to my tasts and quality blows the doors off some factory loads.
Getting active in RKBA movement with diff groups and many issues not directly related to the arms and freedoms.
Watched in person a pro-gunner bil signed into law by the IN Govenor.

Wasz
April 1, 2006, 03:14 AM
Ive gotten to the range more, and started shooting for competition purposes. Nothing major, but now scores are kept and Im judged against other shooters, and its really fun. My first shoot at 25 feet I shot strong arm supported by weak arm for 249 out of a possible 250. Ive also put time into learning more about guns in general, and meeting more people who can share their shooting knowledge with me.

Nematocyst
April 1, 2006, 03:42 AM
I can add very little that hasn't been written before. So, I'll just repeat it.

I came here looking for shotgun advice. Found it. {See user name; add "P" to the numerical digits.}

Acquired a pistol (Kahr K9), a revolver (SW642; you ain't in the club (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=138658) yet?), and a .22LR {CZ452 Style}.

Still working on the deer rifle fund (Browning Stainless Stalker in 7mm08).

Met a bunch of the coolest, most intelligent folks on Earth.

Benefitted from an infinity of knowledge about firearms and related issues.

Gotten tangled up in some gnarly political discussions. (I'm telling you here and now:
stay out of 'legal and political' unless you just like intellectual fighting; there be dragons. :uhoh: )

Learned not to discuss global warming and climate change openly
(which is hard, given that preparing for it is what brought me here),
nor to participate in too many SHTF/TEOTWAWKI threads.

Probably other things as well, but it's late on Friday night, and I'm tired.

But at least I got a 9 on my right side in an OWB, and the 870P is just steps away.

Nem

SapperLeader
April 1, 2006, 07:31 AM
Nice thread idea Steve, I like it.

Since I joined THR, Ive bought more guns, got pickier on guns I wanted(no locks), discovered I love taking firearms training, acquired a c&r, met some great people on the net and in real life, ets'd from the military, graduated with my IT degree, finished my life in retail, and started my new career in It. Thats just the high points, Im sure theres more :)

AndyC
April 14, 2006, 04:31 PM
...had my lesbian step-daughter (we joke that she's my son) express a deep desire to learn how to shoot and buy something for herself. She wants protect herself against some people who have threatened her for her choice of lifestyle :fire:

Texas9
April 14, 2006, 05:50 PM
...become an NRA member; become more aware than I ever knew how volatile the gun issues are; gotten a further distaste for the personal politics of anti's; learned more in such a short period than I thought possible; changed the way I look at the world.

Thanks, THR, for further opening my eyes.

c

Kodiaz
April 14, 2006, 06:57 PM
Well I've learned a ton.
Picked up a an 870, AR and a Kimber 1911.
Discovered I love Kimbers.
Put back enough ammo, food and water to go through a Katrina.
Become a small(really small)govt. conservative.

Done a ton of shooting

I'll be registering Republican soon.

mustanger98
April 14, 2006, 09:18 PM
Learned not to end a thought with "right?" because it will be countered with bigotted annoyed small-minded drivel from someone who assumes they're right because they're doing what everybody else is doing.

Richmond
April 14, 2006, 09:44 PM
Since I joined THR I:

bought a Springfield XD-40
bought a M6 laser/light combo for the Glock 17 I carry night hiking
bought a new Harley jacket
did a nice 0-100 blast on the Harley

and this is my first post since I just joined last night! ;)

CalamityJane
April 14, 2006, 10:05 PM
Nice thread. I've learned SO MUCH here, and really enjoyed it too. So, sort of in order as best I can remember, since beginning to read THR I've:

--taken a "basic marksmanship" class at local firing range;

--taken my concealed carry class;

--purchased my first gun, a 640;

--shot, shot, shot my 640 and several different rental guns;

--bought my second gun, a pump shotgun;

--shot it, and shot it some more;

--joined the NRA;

--gone to the firing range several times a week, shooting the
640 and more rental guns;

--bought my 1911 .45;

--researched and ordered a couple of holsters;

--put hundreds of rounds into the backstop;

--received concealed carry permit;

--bought my newest pride and joy, my (pre-owned) 686;

--learned more than I could have imagined needing to know;

--met some really great people, both here, and in person, at
the gun range/store;

--have carried my 640 a couple of times.

Thanks everybody for the contributions you have made to my learning and acquiring of knowledge. This is a blast, and will always be a part of my life now.

jamz
April 14, 2006, 10:27 PM
Gotten a MA LTC

Started Carrying

Joined the NRA

Caught Pneumonia

Learned that 9mm is the only real handgun caliber

Bought my first rifle

Bought my first handgun

Bought my first AR

Learned that 45acp is the only real handgun caliber

Moved from a restrictive state to a Free state, RKBA-wise

Written lots of political representatives

Bought my first double shotgun

Went hunting for the first time

Bought and filled a gun safe

Then an ammo safe

Because I started reloading

Centered a personal political "base" around firearms freedoms and thus freedom in general

Taught my son how to shoot

Shot pin and steel plate matches for the first time

and...

Blew up a melon with a .44mag for the first time. :)

KC&97TA
April 14, 2006, 11:33 PM
... learned the 870 is the best shot gun ever - still looking for a cheap used one

... learned Grandpa was right about the 1911 & 45acp

... started looking for a wheel gun

... got so darn good shooting two handed I only do it one handed now :uhoh:

... finished off my 2nd AR and want 2 more

... stuck Crimson Trace Grips on my Beretta 92

... started shooting trap

... went to Iraq and have sent the old lady to Iraq

... learned I need an AK

... have irritated all non-military in CA with the ease of my 'legaly permited AR'

... have taugh several people to shoot in my off time

... have trained almost 500 Marines in EMP rifle & pistol shooting

... have kept at least 1000 rounds, mre's & water on hand... for zombies & SHTF

... bought a gun safe, constantly reorganize it too

... now sleep with my 9mm & surefire :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Since becoming a member of THR you have ____." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!