Using the range on a Military Base

PDA

.45Ruger
April 19, 2003, 10:06 PM
I live about 3 moles from Luke Air Force Base in Phoenix and was just curious about using the base range. I know this is legal and generally up to the base comander but I was wondering if anyone had actually tried to get permission and if so how it went.

If you enjoyed reading about "Using the range on a Military Base" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lennyjoe
April 20, 2003, 12:54 AM
Wont happen unless your active duty or a dependent.

Even then, its all up to the range Super.

In Georgia (Moody AFB) we had the range open one Sat per month for active and dependents to come shoot. The range workers volunteered to open it up so we could shoot.

At the base I just left in Arizona (Davis-Monthan AFB) they wont let anyone shoot there on a recreational basis.

Every base seems to be different. I even asked the range super there at DM if they would look into it and they said it wasnt possible but didnt go into details.

When I get back there (44 days) I will try again.

John G
April 20, 2003, 01:04 AM
When I was stationed at Schofield Barracks, in Hawaii, ranges were open for civilian use on some weekends. There may be a local club that meets there, check around. Good luck!

UnknownSailor
April 20, 2003, 01:46 AM
It all depends on the local instruction for the small arms range. On our range, the only folks using privately owned........

Wait, I won't write that. Why tempt fate? Let's just say that I have, but it's not general policy; general public is verboten. Perks of working for the Weapons Department.

UnknownSailor
April 20, 2003, 01:53 AM
Forgot.

While I was stationed in Okinawa, one of the Marine bases (Camp Foster/Butler) there has a range open for everyone. It's run my MWR. At least, it did while I was there.

echo3mike
April 20, 2003, 08:01 AM
I guess I'm an exception. I belong to both The Ft. Meade Rod and Gun Club (http://www.fmrgc.20m.com) and The Quantico Shooting Club (http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com).

While there are a couple of drawbacks, ( pretty much weekend only shooting, security checkpoints, military priority for training, bit of a drive from MD.), there's really not too much to complain about, especially when you get access to the Calvin A. Lloyd ranges aboard MCB Quantico, home of the U.S.M.C. S/S program and military marksmanship Mecca. Excellent facility, and a great opportunity.

Oh...the pains I suffer for my art!

S.

Browns Fan
April 20, 2003, 07:59 PM
Ft Bragg has a range, but you must register you firearm with the Provost Marshall's office before using it. I've been told that this registration is then kept on record in a national database. Whether it does or not, it is still too intrusive to me. I prefer to shoot/hunt off post.

blades67
April 20, 2003, 08:37 PM
I don't think the base CO allows non-dependant civilians to shoot at the base range.

Mikul
April 21, 2003, 12:23 PM
We used to shoot at a base in PA. You had to have three people show up at 7am to take a range officer qualification course (the same course that the military took), someone had to be there in person a day before the shoot to fill out paperwork and such.

It was a lot of fun.

Be very nice, very friendly and do everything possible to portray yourselves as courteous and professional. You might just find unlisted ranges and training facilities opening up for you.

Nestor
April 21, 2003, 02:38 PM
For those of you who want to relavnet LAW (which most bases are in violation of) read bellow

http://uscode.house.gov/usc.htm

Search for Rifle Range

-CITE-

10 USC Sec. 4309 01/22/02

-EXPCITE-

TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES

Subtitle B - Army

PART III - TRAINING

CHAPTER 401 - TRAINING GENERALLY

-HEAD-

Sec. 4309. Rifle ranges: availability for use by members and

civilians

-STATUTE-

(a) Ranges Available. - All rifle ranges constructed in whole or

in part with funds provided by the United States may be used by

members of the armed forces and by persons capable of bearing arms.

(b) Military Ranges. - (1) In the case of a rifle range referred

to in subsection (a) that is located on a military installation,

the Secretary concerned may establish reasonable fees for the use

by civilians of that rifle range to cover the material and supply

costs incurred by the armed forces to make that rifle range

available to civilians.

(2) Fees collected pursuant to paragraph (1) in connection with

the use of a rifle range shall be credited to the appropriation

available for the operation and maintenance of that rifle range and

shall be available for the operation and maintenance of that rifle

range.

(3) Use of a rifle range referred to in paragraph (1) by

civilians may not interfere with the use of the range by members of

the armed forces.

(c) Regulations. - Regulations to carry out this section with

respect to a rifle range shall be prescribed, subject to the

approval of the Secretary concerned, by the authorities controlling

the rifle range.

-SOURCE-

(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 236; Pub. L. 99-145, title

XIII, Sec. 1301(b)(3)(A), Nov. 8, 1985, 99 Stat. 735; Pub. L.

101-510, div. A, title III, Sec. 328(e), Nov. 5, 1990, 104 Stat.

1533; Pub. L. 102-484, div. A, title III, Sec. 380(b)(1), Oct. 23,

1992, 106 Stat. 2390.)
:mad:

Kharn
April 21, 2003, 02:43 PM
So in other words, if you arent still in diapers, and can use a firearm responsibly, you should be able to pay a fee and use any military range that isnt currently in use. I know Pax River, MD, opened their indoor range for non-military uses like twice a month within the last 18 months, probably right after passage of that bill.

Kharn

Nestor
April 21, 2003, 03:26 PM
since 1956 we the CITZENS should be able to use the various ranges nationwide when ever ACTIVE training or maintence is being done to the range.. not in your case 24 days of the year unless they have one heck of a traing rotations.

Blackhawk
April 21, 2003, 11:17 PM
Thanks, Nestor.

This link takes you to a page that lends itself to easy research: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/htm_hl?DB=uscode10&STEMMER=en&WORDS=militari+rang+&COLOUR=Red&STYLE=s&URL=/uscode/10/4309.html#muscat_highlighter_first_match

If you enjoyed reading about "Using the range on a Military Base" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!