Non-expanding HP vs. reactive metal targets

PDA

Creeping Incrementalism
March 29, 2006, 02:18 PM
Makers of reactive metal targets always say to use SP bullets. I was wondering, what about centerfire rifle hollow points, and specifically, HPs that aren't really designed to expand, such as match bullets or Wolf (Well, I don't know if Wolf HPs are designed to expand or not, but I've heard that usually don't). Would these bullets go right through or present too great a danger of ricochets?

Anyway, I think I'd buy a helmet, shatter-proof goggles, and a ballistic blanket to hide behind before trying this...

If you enjoyed reading about "Non-expanding HP vs. reactive metal targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zak Smith
March 29, 2006, 05:32 PM
Almost any intermediate or full power rifle cartridge will smoke through any pistol-rated steel plate, or at least make a bit dent/crater.

3/8"-1/4" AR500 plate is probably what you want for centerfire rifle targets.

Cratered plates will throw a lot more lead back than flat plates.

Creeping Incrementalism
March 29, 2006, 06:41 PM
I forgot to mention--what I would be shooting at is all rifle rated. I'm just wondering if hollowpoints that aren't designed to expand will break up like a soft point, or behave more like a full metal jacket.

If you enjoyed reading about "Non-expanding HP vs. reactive metal targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!