April 20, 2003, 01:14 AM
The problem was the grips I had just put on the gun. The Target hammer wasn't able to cock back far enough to catch the notch and hold the trigger. Funny how the obvious things aren't checked first. ;)
April 20, 2003, 02:26 PM
O.K. ...... Glad expensive repairs weren't necessary.
April 21, 2003, 12:28 PM
For those interested, the original statement of Redfern's problem may be found in his thread at
which I have closed to avoid additional input on an already-solved problem. Thanks to all who participated!
Redfern, sorry I didn't suggest this exact diagnosis when I first read your post. I was extremely busy with work and family obligations. (Don't you just HATE it when that other stuff gets in the way of your cherished hobbies?)
A few years ago, an old-line deputy sheriff put a note on the office bulletin board wanting to sell a Model 19 and accessories. It was for sale to finance purchase of a new Glock .40. (What else?;) I ended up buying it for a reasonable price. It was a "classic" service revolver, prototypical of the 1960s--Early 1980s.
Four-inch, blue, Target trigger, target hammer, white outline rear sight, red ramp front sight, big Pachmayr rubber "Combat" stocks. Don Hume thumb break River Holster, Two HKS speedloaders. The piece was pristine but for a few pinpoint rust spots which took it down to about 90% condition.
The double action was glassy smooth, and the single action didn't work at all. It was stylish in some circles back then to deactivate the SA, in favor of DA only. An unfortunate incident in the nearby metro area back in the 70s had made this "Los Angeles DA" modification mildly popular- - - Details unnecessary. The smooth action led me to believe that this was simply another detail of the whole package.
Much later, I took the revolver to the range and qualified with it, just for old times' sake. When I cleaned it, I checked to see if I could change out the huge trigger and hammer with parts on hand, without undue fitting. With the stocks removed, I worked the action, and then realized I had checked the SA trigger pull! It was excellent, with no push-off. The oversize, beavertail target hammer, with the rubber stocks, kept the hammer from coming back far enough to engage the cocking notch. A single pass of the Dremel Tool sanding drum cured MY problem, as well.
I just wonder how many times this combination has been worked over the years. :rolleyes:
April 22, 2003, 12:49 PM
Oh good lord... :rolleyes: :D
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.