Separating magazine tube from receiver

PDA

rustyred
March 30, 2006, 12:11 PM
Hello all,

A while back I posted about a magazine throat for a Winchester 1400 20ga. I finally got the part in and went to work on the gun last night. It looks like I have to separate the magazine tube from the receiver to thread on the new magazine throat. Is this machine pressed in? How do you separate the two? I've racked my brain trying to figure this out:banghead:

Thanks in advance,

rustyred

If you enjoyed reading about "Separating magazine tube from receiver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
March 30, 2006, 07:02 PM
Here's a link to an online Winchester owner's manual for the 1400:
http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

As I recall, the 1400 magazine tube is threaded in the receiver.

Get one of the newer synthetic band strap wrenches from Sears or a hardware store.
These have a "rubber-like" non-stretching band.

Use solvent to thoroughly clean the magazine tube of any lube so the strap can get a good no-slip grip.

Grip the tube AS CLOSE TO THE RECEIVER AS YOU CAN, and use the strap wrench to unscrew the tube.

You can help things along by giving the rear of the tube a good squirt of penetrating fluid like Kroil, and allow to stand over night to penetrate.

Be sure to clean the tube for a good grip.

If you enjoyed reading about "Separating magazine tube from receiver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!