Shortening …then reinstalling screw-in tubes.

PDA

Selfdfenz
March 30, 2006, 05:08 PM
I have a Verona auto that I really like. It came with a 26 VR barrel and the usual collection of choke tubes. Basically it’s my dove and duck gun these days. I’m not too interested in short barrel shotguns but it seemed to me almost as soon as I got the thing home if I could turn up a 20 tube for this unit it would make an excellent HD tool in the off-season.

I located a source of 24“ VR spares for this model and now I’m considering getting one & having 2-4'‘ removed thus having the combo hunting/HD unit I’ve been wanting for a couple of years. One barrel for wing shooting and a short one for HD.

I like the idea of having the barrel reconfigured to take the screw-in tubes so I could experiment with the experiment :) but with the practice of over-boring being so common these days is it likely this will be an option? My old Mossy 835 had a noticeable bell at end of the tube in order to accommodate the screw-in chokes but the Verona seems to have little belling or none.

I wonder about assuming as a result of not seeing a belled area that the entire length of the barrel is thick enough to accommodate the threading etc associated with screw-in chokes.

THX for your POV

S-

If you enjoyed reading about "Shortening …then reinstalling screw-in tubes." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave McCracken
March 30, 2006, 09:13 PM
You need a smith to tell if there's enough metal to install tubes. Overboring may not be a problem.

OTOH, there's lots of HD shotguns that lack any sort of choke. While some choke is a good thing outdoors, inside distances preclude much spread even from Cylinder bores.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shortening …then reinstalling screw-in tubes." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!