Overall lenth on 223 load

PDA

Bulldogg
March 30, 2006, 07:37 PM
Any info on overall lenth on 223 with 52gr A-max with 25.0 grns of h-335

If you enjoyed reading about "Overall lenth on 223 load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AFhack
March 30, 2006, 09:29 PM
for a bolt gun or an AR?

lycanthrope
March 31, 2006, 12:05 AM
Whatever feeds best...at a safe pressure. Otherwise, mag length.

P0832177
March 31, 2006, 08:47 AM
I would consult the Hornady Reloading Manual for the real answer. With that said, my max length is 2.260" for 223 ammo. This is mag length in a AR magazine.

In factory chambers, there is little sense to try and seat the bullets near the lands. The general rule of thumb is to have at least a caliber length of the bullet in the case neck.

Of course you can single feed rounds. But, a person has to be very gentle with with loading ammo. Some bullets int eh 223 are meant to be single loaded. The 75 gr Vmax and 80 gr Nosler and Sierra. There are others from Berger that need to be seated grether then mag length.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
March 31, 2006, 10:18 AM
I agree with John, just follow Hornady's recommendation for OAL. This may not be the most accurate, but will definately provide for reliabile feeding.

That said, regardless of rifle, if you have the chamber measuring tools you can see bullets out a bit to increase accuracy, even on a semi automatic. I did this for a summer with my M1 Garand before buying an AR-15. I still do it when I'm loading for competition with the AR-15.

If you buy the equipment and do so, I recommend keeping a good reloading manual (A good idea in any case.) so you don't forget what you did when you take a summer off to go fishing instead of shooting.

For anything less than competition, it's probalby not worth the effort unless you happen to be an accuracy nut. (An no, I have no room to talk. grin)

Regards,

Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "Overall lenth on 223 load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!