AK-47/Mak-90

PDA

possum's hubby
March 31, 2006, 01:12 AM
Could anyone tell me what the difference is between an AK-47 and a MAK-90?

If you enjoyed reading about "AK-47/Mak-90" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sheldon
March 31, 2006, 01:21 AM
The AK-47 is a full auto assault rifle. The Mak-90 is a semi-automatic version of the AK-47 made by the Chinese.

imas
March 31, 2006, 01:36 AM
Generally the semi automatic versions are known as ak47 also. If you want to get technical you can refer to the above post.

The Mak90 is a Chinese AK and they normally come with a thumbhole stock. Most others come with a pistol grip stock. This is really the main difference. If you change a magic number of parts in the mak90 then it becomes legal to change over to a pistol grip stock.

They are normally really high quality.

http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/index.html - this might be a good source of information

possum's hubby
March 31, 2006, 01:44 AM
So, just the thumbhole stock and receiver are the only differences?

possum's hubby
March 31, 2006, 01:50 AM
imas, I checked out the web site that you recommended. It answered my questions. Thanks alot!

possum
March 31, 2006, 02:14 AM
my mak-90 just got cleaned and a good wipe down with g-96 and is sitting on the couch time now. I love it, have had zero problems out of it approx. 1000rds of various surlpus ammo, with wolf 154gr sp it will knock the x-ring out at 100 meters, I know i know i couldn't believe it either, that is why i kept firing 5 to ten rd groups to make sure it wasn't luck.

captain obvious
March 31, 2006, 10:11 AM
MAK-90s are great. I thought the thumbhole stock would be a negative, but since i've had it, i'd rather shoot an AK with a thumbhole than a pistol grip (looks, though....). The quality is excellent - if it didn't look like an AK it would be hard to tell it is one.

IMHO, it basically has the worksmanship of a target rifle with the benefits of being an AK.

Kramer Krazy
March 31, 2006, 10:20 AM
My two MAK-90s came with these main differences:

1) Thumbhole stock
2) Shaved bayonet lug
3) 5-round magazines
4) No flash hider

I can't think of any other major differences. Both mine are Norincos and one has a milled receiver and the other has a stamped one.

Bart Noir
March 31, 2006, 11:39 AM
As I learn even more, showing I'm not yet an old dog, I notice the online names of the posters here.

I am guessing that the new member "possum's hubby" is not related to the senior member "possum" since possum has a MAK-90 and could have answered directly. Then, I could be wrong.

Bart Noir

possum
March 31, 2006, 12:25 PM
Bart noir,

You are correct my friend we are of no relation at all.

Kamicosmos
April 1, 2006, 07:50 AM
Heh, Bart, I was thinking the same thing, re: their screen names. I was like :scrutiny:

The_Shootist
April 1, 2006, 08:29 AM
...side by side of a MAK-90 vs say a run-of-the-mill WASR10 (which is what I have)? Make it easier to visualize.

Interesting the notes on the quality of the Chinese firearm....whats the price like (I paid $ 279 for my NIB WASR10).

By the way, home come all the communist regimes can't build a decent car or washing machine but make the best small arms in the world ??? :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "AK-47/Mak-90" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!