What are some must have accessories, tools, etc. that every 1911 owner should have?

PDA

Accord
March 31, 2006, 03:46 AM
I just bought a Springfield TRP and would like to know what are some must have accessories, special tools, etc. that every 1911 owner should have?

I already own an Otis cleaning kit, lot's of mags, and tons of ammo. What else should I buy? What are some must have accessories, tools, etc. that every 1911 owner should own?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "What are some must have accessories, tools, etc. that every 1911 owner should have?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
March 31, 2006, 04:23 AM
Hmm... this should be fun...

I'll add my first MOST IMPORTANT accessory, tool etc.... and that would be

1) AMMO: Get lots of it. Doodad's dont improve your shooting, practice and lots of range time does
2) Treat yourself to a membership to your favorite range. Showing that you love your 1911 means shooting the bejeezus out of it.
3) Quality LEATHER holster. Take a look at Milt Sparks, Alessi, HBE Leatherworks, Del Fatti etc...
4) Kydex holster. If you do end up shooting USPSA, IPSC, IDPA, Kydex is fast. Look at Bladetech, Sidearmor, Kytac, Comptac...
5) Good gun belt. A holster isn't much without good gunbelts
6) QUALITY MAGAZINES: Metalform, Colt Factory, Chip McCormick Powermags, Wilson 47D's... anything that'll run smoothly and reliably in your gun.
7) Ceaning kit. Get yourself a quality cleaning Kit, with good oil and solvent. Breakfree CLP is my favorite lube.
8) Silicone rag: You'll need to wipe down your gun after each use or handling.
9) Spare parts Kit: extra extractors, springs, pins etc...
10) Bushing wrench. Get a metal one.
11) Kuhnhausen's 1911 book. You can find it for sale at bookstores or even on 1911forum sometimes.
12) Basic tools, pocket knife, allen wrench kit etc...

For the most part thats it.

Nice pick on the TRP. Few points though.
- Get rid of the ILS MSH/magwell. Replace with a Smith and Alexander Magwell
- Get rid of the cheesy 2 piece guiderod. Get yourself a GI rod and plug setup.

Spend most of your money on ammo before you go buying random accessories. What I listed is what you'll end up getting eventually. But this is a great time to learn your firearm. Learn the 1911 platform. Learn to field strip it, and/or eventually detail strip it. The internet is a great resource.

Oh yeah, quick note. Please PLEASE don't drop your slide on an empty chamber.

Good luck and happy shooting. :)

Ala Dan
March 31, 2006, 05:32 AM
#3- Also look at leather from Kirkpatrick of Laredo, Texas.
They offer quality leather products at affordable prices, excellent
service, and darn nice folk's too boot~!:D

Don't Tread On Me
March 31, 2006, 05:41 AM
Oh yeah, quick note. Please PLEASE don't drop your slide on an empty chamber.

Sorry for my ignorance, I am not a 1911 expert at all...

You know, I've heard this before. Some people argue that it doesn't make a difference, others say it screws up the trigger. How? Not trying to hijack the thread, but why do you advocate that this fellow not drop the slide on an empty chamber? Other firearms are fine with dropping the slide on an empty chamber, why would this be negative on a 1911?

LeonCarr
March 31, 2006, 07:49 AM
A Glock

Sorry, had to be done :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

doggscube
March 31, 2006, 09:07 AM
"A Glock. Sorry, had to be done

Nah, he's got an auto, and a fine one at that. Now he needs a nice pre-lock S&W revolver. Or a SA revolver. Or another 1911. :D

I've read this thread with interest. I haven't changed my Kimber since I got it back in November. I don't carry it because of FTF problems (1 per 4-5 mags), which I've since heard can be attributed to their magazine. When I pick up a couple of Wilsons I'll feed it a couple of WWB packs to see if it improves.

-Jeff

paul45
March 31, 2006, 09:13 AM
A Glock

Sorry, had to be done Now that is funny!! Its good to start the day with a laugh!

Janitor
March 31, 2006, 09:26 AM
A 10" long, 3/8" wooden dowel and a brass hammer for knocking squibs out of the barrel.

:)

/j

nero45acp
March 31, 2006, 09:32 AM
The phone number of a good local gunsmith....

nero

brickboy240
March 31, 2006, 01:15 PM
Extra set of springs, extra extractor (Wilson's Bulletproof is best), a pin punch set and brass hammer and maybe some lube for the slide...thats all I keep around...oh...and a couple of good spare magazines (again, Wilsons)

- Brickboy240

If you enjoyed reading about "What are some must have accessories, tools, etc. that every 1911 owner should have?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!