Under ground Nuclear testing or Earthquake

PDA

blue06van
March 31, 2006, 11:57 AM
What do you guys think, under ground nuclear testing, earthquake or the Wrath of God?
I usually just lurk most forums, but I like this one the best so I thought I’d post this story and get some opinions from y’all.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/03/31/earthquake.iran/index.html

Is it saber rattling or a horrible natural event or punishment from “On High” for the culture they have adopted?

“And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee”

If you enjoyed reading about "Under ground Nuclear testing or Earthquake" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Henry Bowman
March 31, 2006, 12:09 PM
IBTL

A bit OT, but I think that the geologists of the world who read all the seisematic scribbles can tell the difference pretty easily.

AJ Dual
March 31, 2006, 12:11 PM
Just an eearthquake, damage and death-toll enhanced by the usual Middle East building techniques. It might be related to the recent quake in Pakistan, as stresses are getting shunted around the region.

The seismic profile for an underground nuclear test and an earthquake are very different. Every siesmologist on the planet would know within a few hours wich was which.

Also, underground nuclear detonations are a single large pulse. Significant ground disruption is also pretty localized to the test crater. It's the longer duration shaking that a geological fault slipping causes that shakes buildings apart.

Nitrogen
March 31, 2006, 12:22 PM
I'd love to say "Wrath of God", but since He doesn't let me in on all of his plans, i'll just say "Earthquake."

As a former california resident, it amazes me that quakes below 6.5 kill people. Building techniques have been around since at least the late 60's to have any structure survive a quake of that size.

Gewehr98
March 31, 2006, 12:25 PM
If it was an underground nuke, certain organizations who monitor such things 24/7/365 would be all over it. Then it would be all over the news.

Sorry, it's an earthquake. Keep watching, though. ;)

seeker_two
March 31, 2006, 12:26 PM
The LORD moves in mysterious ways... ;)

imas
March 31, 2006, 07:12 PM
The US has tested hundreds of nuclear weapons and none that I know of resembled an earthquake.

Mr.V.
March 31, 2006, 08:53 PM
Unless...it's just like Under Siege 2 : Dark Territory. They could make earthquakes even in the air.

longeyes
March 31, 2006, 09:09 PM
I guess we'll see how good illegal alien construction work really is.

Don Gwinn
March 31, 2006, 09:12 PM
Off Topic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Under ground Nuclear testing or Earthquake" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!