Orem, Ut Wal-Mart

PDA

Gunner45
March 31, 2006, 02:32 PM
Well, as of May the only reason I step foot in the Orem Ut Wally World will be going away. I was just down there to pick up a couple of the 100 round shot shell value packs, when I over heard the guys behind the counter saying as of May the Orem store will not be selling guns. I don't know why it ticked me off so bad. I have never bought a gun from Wally World. I do buy ammo there as it's close to home and on my way to the range. I asked them if this was company wide, and they said that it would be the Orem store only making this change.

Gunner45

If you enjoyed reading about "Orem, Ut Wal-Mart" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
March 31, 2006, 02:37 PM
You might ask them why, in a non-confrontational manner.

I suspect the fact that you have never bought a gun there could have something to do with it. Government regulation makes it expensive to operate a firearms sales department -- if guns aren't selling well enough to recoup that expense and make a little profit, retailers will stop selling.

foghornl
March 31, 2006, 02:40 PM
Wal-Mart closest to me {Eastlake, OH} still carries ammo, but no guns. I asked the Sporting Goods guy in the brown vest, and he said that particular store sold the least number of firearms in all of Ohio.

Correia
March 31, 2006, 02:42 PM
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNSTORE!

( maybe I'm biased, because I own one of your local gunstores ) :p

Gunner45
March 31, 2006, 02:45 PM
I did ask them, and they mentioned that it was a management decision. Weather it was just the managers personal views on firearms, or a financial decision I didnít ask.

Gunner45

Gunner45
March 31, 2006, 02:47 PM
Will do Correia, SLC isn't that far from Orem.:)

Gunner45

MD_Willington
March 31, 2006, 02:48 PM
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNSTORE!

Walmart is one of my local gunstores :neener: , though I haven't bought anything there latelly, I've been eyeing up what you have in your gunstore :D

Vern Humphrey
March 31, 2006, 02:50 PM
I did ask them, and they mentioned that it was a management decision. Weather it was just the managers personal views on firearms, or a financial decision I didnít ask.

It was a business decision -- local Wal Mart managers don't have the power to make ideological decisions. In fact, it was probably made by a computer -- firerarms were losing money at that outlet, so they were dropped.

Hawkmoon
March 31, 2006, 03:29 PM
None of the Wal-Marts in my area currently carry firearms, although they still sell ammo. I asked, and I was told that only th super Wal-Marts will be acrrying firearms. I was given the impression that this is company-wide, but it may only be this region.

SHOOT1SAM
March 31, 2006, 05:08 PM
My best & oldest friend of 28 years is a Wal-Mart manager. This is a corporate decision. Wal-mart will no longer be selling guns in ANY of their stores very soon. He did not know whether one would be able to have them special ordered, but he doubted it.

As a lifelong hunter & shooter, he's not too thrilled with his employer.

Sam

TexasRifleman
March 31, 2006, 05:13 PM
I suspect the fact that you have never bought a gun there could have something to do with it. Government regulation makes it expensive to operate a firearms sales department -- if guns aren't selling well enough to recoup that expense and make a little profit, retailers will stop selling.

Wal Mart suffered greatly because of firearms sales in ************, and since they have a business to run I don't blame them a bit.

It's a shame that government bullies forced them to this, but that seems to be the current plan. Gun control doesn't work, so they want to make it too difficult to be in the gun business.

Wal Mart fought endless fights in California over piddly little rule things, and finally just gave up.

Now we see BATFE doing similar things to custom gunsmiths.

Correia, your type of shop is next on the hit list, be prepared. It's the new order of gun control it seems.

the 22 junkie
March 31, 2006, 05:14 PM
The super-walmart in Rockdale, Texas stopped selling firearms a month ago, seems to be hapeening to the all other ones I see.

#shooter
March 31, 2006, 05:18 PM
What does wally world do with the guns? ship them back? put them on sale? sell them to a 3rd party (gun show or dealer)?

Hawkmoon
March 31, 2006, 05:28 PM
What does wally world do with the guns? ship them back? put them on sale? sell them to a 3rd party (gun show or dealer)?
Liquidate 'em to CDNN?

Correia
March 31, 2006, 06:45 PM
Dude, I know. :) Even worse, we're an SOT.

1KPerDay
March 31, 2006, 07:17 PM
Wal-mart Orem was probably not selling too many guns; Van Wagonen's up the street has better deals and a huge selection, in my experience. I've bought all of my guns there. Generally better prices on ammo, too... except shotshells.
At least I hope that's the reason for the change. Cabela's is probably putting everyone in the valley out of the gun business.

Sparky
March 31, 2006, 11:43 PM
I was in a Wally world in Thomasville, Al today. Noticed that there were no guns in the display and asked the department manager about it.
She said that 800 Wal Mart stores will cease selling guns this year as they eventually drop guns across the board.
Understand that this store is in the heart of Alabama deer hunting country.
She said that the Thomasville store was one that the computer picked.
Beats me all to hell!!
Reckon even Wal Mart is now becoming PC in a BIG way.:mad:

thatguy
April 1, 2006, 11:53 AM
Wal-Mart has been the nation's biggest gun dealer because of the number of stores. But each one doesn't sell that many.

Selling guns is more of a problem than selling tires or televisions becaue of the many laws and regulations. As noted, WM gave up in CA because of the oppressive laws and that was about 15% of the available market. Other states are nearly as bad.

Not selling handguns limits the value of WM to many gun shoppers. Internet sales through home FFLs also has cut into their sales.

The bottom line is that the burden of the laws combined with the shrinking profitability means it may not make sense from a business standpoint to continue selling guns. This is not an anti-gun move by WM, it's just a business decision.

I can remember when everyone sold guns. The liquor store had an FFL and would sell ammo and have a few guns on display. Same with the local hardware store. That's where those guns with the funny names like Revelation were sold. These were actually Marlins and Glenfields mostly with store brand names stamped on them. Sears sold guns made by Winchester and others labeled "Ted Williams." Even the pharmacy had an FFL! Not anymore. Too many headaches, too many laws, too many lawsuits, too little profit.

Hell, even real gun stores ain't what they used to be. I used to visit gun stores and marvel at the large number of guns on display. The last half-dozen gun shops I visited had fewer guns than I did at home.

Sad.

Marnoot
April 1, 2006, 01:31 PM
Van Wagonen's up the street has better deals and a huge selection, in my experience. I've bought all of my guns there.I've bought several of my guns from there as well. The (I think) proprietor can be quite rude on the phone, and occasionally dispenses erroneous advice ("You shouldn't fire that [Nagant revolver], the firing pin is too delicate.") That said, he's never been anything other than honest with me and others I know, and generally seems to be a good guy; other than his occasional snaps of crankiness.

cbsbyte
April 1, 2006, 01:54 PM
I was going to post a quick statement until I read Thatguy's post. I agree 100% with him about why large retail stores choose to dicountine selling firearms.
This areas local Walmart recently stop selling firerams but they still sell ammo, basic hunting equipment and cleaning supplies. It really does not bother me, since I never have bought guns and I don't know anyone that has from Walmart. One of the local dealers gives much better prices than Walmart on ALL guns.

Bob41081
April 1, 2006, 09:48 PM
I have a friend who is a manager of some type for WW( he handles setting up shelving for a WW region. He told me that WW is phasing out gun sales ijn all metropolitan WW's. I have 2 S WW's within 4 miles of my house. One has already quit gun sales. I haven't been in the other in 6 weeks but it still had guns the last time I was there. A sales clerk in Sporting Goods had heard a rumour they were to quit selling guns.

Bob

BigRobT
April 1, 2006, 09:57 PM
WalMart's gun selections generally suck. Their prices are good, though. I've purchased ONE rifle from them in the last 10 years.

jeb_ingram
April 2, 2006, 02:34 PM
Gunner45,
My wife works in that store and I'll have her do a little research.
Where do you shoot?

Gunner45
April 3, 2006, 01:48 AM
I shoot trap and skeet at the Provo gun club up Provo canyon. My handguns mainly down in Springville at RangeMasters.

Gunner45

jeb_ingram
April 3, 2006, 02:57 AM
I work @ Rangemasters.

lawson
April 3, 2006, 05:43 AM
i spent years trying to avoid Wal-Mart, but as of late it's hard to find a place around that sells fishing tackle. never bought a gun or ammo there, as i can usually find it cheaper elsewhere. most of the WM's i've been to still seem to carry guns.

the sports authority store near my house no longer carries guns, the guy said they didn't sell enough to make it worthwhile. i never bought guns there either, but would occasionally browse the display case when i go there for sweat socks and basketball shorts.

3 weelin geezer
April 3, 2006, 10:13 AM
Thats not good theat they stop selling guns. I remeber when my dad got a s/w 686 at K(ommie)-mart in the mid 80's . I still have that one. I don't go shopping there much no more because of all the stuff is all changed around to make it look like (a dismal failure) wal mart. I miss the real guns. I think that all the guns they sell there now IF they even sell anything resembling something that spits a piece of metal out a hole was BB guns in the rifle case. You can never find anyone there to help. It seems like they all run and hide in the break room when it even looks like someone has a question about merchandise. :uhoh: Kinda looking at a car dealership in a magic mirror. Of course they adde the frozen food section like wal mart but simply sticking the toys on the other side of the store does not make it Wm. I bought all 3 of my 10-22's there and recently a cricket rifle about a year ago. They used to have the guns in a rotating display that didn't let you see it too well but now they have them in a glass case with the prices looking like this: $479.99. :what: Try reading that from across your couch which is about how far they are from the counter. :banghead: :cuss: One time I grabbed some binoculars to see the prices and the other customer in the isle looked at me like I was crazy.

cavman
April 3, 2006, 12:49 PM
As I think that Orem,UT is the hometown of the sci fi writer Orsen Scott Card, maybe you could "shift out of reality" and pretend that Wal-Mart was your friend!!

cavman

1KPerDay
April 3, 2006, 02:32 PM
I've bought several of my guns from there as well. The (I think) proprietor can be quite rude on the phone, and occasionally dispenses erroneous advice ("You shouldn't fire that [Nagant revolver], the firing pin is too delicate.") That said, he's never been anything other than honest with me and others I know, and generally seems to be a good guy; other than his occasional snaps of crankiness.
Yep, Norm's an odd duck, that's for sure. I think most of his abruptness comes from long years in a "pawn shop" type setting, where you have to deal with a lot of yahoos. His place is always very busy, too, so there are usually 3 or 4 people asking him questions in the shop and 2 or 3 people on the phone at a time. I've always been friendly to him and he responds in kind. He sure won't budge on his handgun prices, though... but they are very good. Usually just about $20 more than wholesale, IIRC. You have to sell a LOT of guns to make a profit with prices that low.

Anyone know if Wal-Mart will continue selling ammo after they stop selling guns?

Gunner45
April 4, 2006, 01:20 AM
Hey jeb_ingram

Well say hello to Garry, Ken, and Stillwell when he pops by for me.:)
See you at the Fun Shoot on the 18th.

Gunner45

blinkin357
April 4, 2006, 03:13 PM
Central Florida W-M stores still carry long guns and ammo. I was surprised that they carry assisted-opening folding knives which work like switch-blades. I bought a Kershaw 1670 for $54. I asked if they ever carried handguns and the clerk didn't know. It seems like I remember seeing handguns there years ago. I have my eye on a Remington 700 so I'd better make my buy soon to get their price.

When I was 10 years old, I remember lusting for a Winchester 94 at my little neighborhood hardware store. Things were so different back then.

If you enjoyed reading about "Orem, Ut Wal-Mart" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!