Air rifles

PDA

sasnofear
January 3, 2003, 03:56 PM
anyone really into 'proper' air rifles. i use a precharged pnewmatic (SP) air rifle to 75yrds.

www.air-arms.co.uk:scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Air rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MP-44
January 3, 2003, 05:24 PM
I have an Air Arms S400E Xtra FAC with moderated barrel PCP. I love it! Best squirrel rifle I have ever used.

sasnofear
January 3, 2003, 05:38 PM
we have good taste: i use the airarms S410E Xtra high Power 30ft.lb.

it does way more than squirrels. what range do you shoot to. their very quiet. but in these forums airrifles arnt appreciated they all want a big gun with a big bang!:neener:

PaladinX13
January 3, 2003, 05:54 PM
I use an Airforce Talon SS... think it's called a Gunpower Stealth overseas.

sasnofear
January 3, 2003, 06:20 PM
yea thats it, the gunpower stealth. always seemed a bit bulky for my taste, thought the tatical look was cool. how does it handle, what range it go two? what cal it in?:scrutiny:

Peter M. Eick
January 3, 2003, 06:33 PM
What consitutes "proper"? I have a beeman 400 target air rifle that I shot the "tar" out of. Great gun, but I really need to get it re-furbished.

5ptdeerhunter
January 3, 2003, 07:23 PM
Can you posts some pics of your air rifles?

admiral
January 3, 2003, 09:08 PM
here is a pic of my air rifle, it is marketed by crosman but is made by Mendoza in Mexico. 177 @1000 fps (advertised). it is accurate enough to keep the garden eaters on their toes but the trigger pull is terrible. I can shoot 1" groups at 50 yards with heavy premier pellets, beyond that is too much drop... the garden is only 30 yards out the back doorhttp://www.thehighroad.org/images/smilies/wink.gif

PS: I desaturated the color on the rabbit head cause I thought it might be too graphic? (moderators) If you think this is not appropriate for mass viewing let me know and I won't do it again.

WOW - kinda sad to think someone might be offended by this, but they do existhttp://www.thehighroad.org/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

http://www.bright.net/~admiral/wabbitdistgs.jpg

JohnKSa
January 3, 2003, 09:36 PM
Rifles
FWB 150
Sheridan Silver Streak
Ellie -- a Beeman R7 (.177) (Americanized Weihrauch HW35)
Beeman R1 (.20 cal) (Americanized Weihrauch HW80)

Pistols
Beeman P1 (.177) (Weihrauch HW45)
FWB 65 Mk I

...and some garbage. A $25 Chinese springer, an Anics C02 BB pistol and a FrankenCrosman 1377 that I have dinked with for around 15 years. It's pretty shootable, but looks bad.

The P1 has Hogue wraparound grips but is otherwise stock.

The Sheridan has a refinished stock, the rear sight has been removed, a Williams 5DSH aperture rear sight installed and I have redone the trigger.

Ellie has a custom muzzle brake (weight really) made by Tim Wilson which let me keep her front sight. I've also removed the rear sight, replaced it with a coverplate and installed a Williams aperture sight that has been modified to be fully adjustable without tools.

The R1 has been given the same sight treatment as Ellie, but without the muzzle brake. Beeman also "Laserized" it back when this meant a special spring, etc, instead of a gas ram installation.

The FWBs are both stock. Can't be improved IMO.

MacPelto
January 3, 2003, 11:09 PM
Anschutz 2002CA for competition, and a 'Red Ryder 200 shot carbine action range model air rifle', for fun. (Actually they hold 650 bbs nowadays.)

Sactown
January 4, 2003, 12:35 AM
You'll shoot your eye, kid!! Someone had to say it.

Do the pre-charged rifles fill from scuba tanks? What PSI do you need the scuba tanks to be? I have a scuba tank from my paintball days.

JohnKSa
January 4, 2003, 12:45 AM
Scuba Tanks, hand pumps, and now there is at least one company selling a reasonably priced compressor that will do the trick.

4v50 Gary
January 4, 2003, 12:50 AM
I have a Farco air shotgun. Shots a saboted 433 lead ball. I'd like to get one rifled and see what it can do.

BTW Admiral, the wabbit looks good. Didn't have to do any special effects. I'm sure we allow for pictures of hunting trophys, so what's the difference? BTW, I'm still waiting for the taxidermist to get Sparky back to me.

MP-44
January 4, 2003, 06:37 AM
sasnofear;
I use it on crows, rats, rabbits & starlings ( one of my favorites). anything larger and I pull out the firearms.

Although I shoot at targets out to 60 yds I keep my hunting distance to 50 yds so I don't have to hold over much. At that distance I still aim at the squirrels head, just a little higher than I want the bullet to strike.

BTW, mine is in .177 cal. I use Crosman Premier Heavies. Crosman Premier lites shoot really good in it but you get the super sonic crack from them ( same thing with all the other pellets around 8gr and lower) . It sounds almost like a .22 LR. When using the sub-sonic heavies it is very quiet.

1goodshot
January 4, 2003, 07:48 AM
I had a nice Beeman that was stolen out of my truck.:( havent replaced it yet.

sasnofear
January 4, 2003, 01:19 PM
heres my beauty. @ 50" though it dosen't all fit into the photo side on

P95Carry
January 5, 2003, 01:20 AM
Always had a spot for air weapons .... last year got a ''Eurolux'' thru Sportsmans Guide ... shows as being a 1,000 fps in .177 .... in fact with chrono it's about 950. Big, heavy and long but . all in all for not much over $100, a good tool. Very adequate for general 25 yd crow and squirrel work. Put scope on but took it off . too much problem keeping it in place ... open sights work OK anyways.

Oldest rifle is an old Webley underlever in .22 . bought off a buddy in school ......... back in . (clears throat) ... 1963!!! Bit beat up but . with tap loading, it's a great rifle ...... Parker Hale peep sights too.

Got a Wierauch HW35 back in 70's . still have that .. in .177. very nice quality of manufacture ....... break action but very good seal .... needs new spring I fancy but ....... still nice.

Also got one of those cheap (I should say . $20 or so!!) Chinese rifles . piece of junk really but hey ..... for that money??!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Air rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!