Anybody have experience with the TAURUS PT938?

PDA

The Mighty Beagle
April 20, 2003, 10:51 AM
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=938SS3&category=Pistol

Hello. I saw some pics of this model and realized that it may be just what I’m looking for.

I have some special needs and here’s what I want:

-lightest recoil possible in a centerfire -locked-breech design
-lowest muzzle flip possible for fast firing
-fairly small grip to fit small hands
-concealability (pocketability would be cool, though not necessary)
-heavy, to soak up recoil - no polymers need apply
-BIG, BOLD SIGHTS, clearly definable for target and plinking work.
-a decent DA/SA trigger that isn’t an obstacle toward practical accuracy
-reliability

I’m wanting something even smaller than my .40 Mini Firestorm, preferably something that recoils as little as possible. In light-loading some 9mm’s the other day, I realized that for sheer shooting pleasure and fun-ness, less gun is sometimes more gun. Therefore, I want the gentlest tiny auto (I have small arthritic hands) that I can find. To me this would mean a low-powerd .380 with a locked-breech.

In regards to the 938, some questions:

Is this the only currently-made locked-breech .380?

Is it smaller than the other PT 9xx series?

What size gun is it comparable to?

How accurate/reliable is yours?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody have experience with the TAURUS PT938?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marko Kloos
April 20, 2003, 11:03 AM
They're neat, and they work very well, although they're a bit big for a .380. I do not believe that the PT938 is a locked-breech gun, though.

Tamara
April 20, 2003, 11:15 AM
Is it smaller than the other PT 9xx series?

I'm pretty sure it's built on the same frame as the 911/940.

PCRCCW
April 20, 2003, 11:46 AM
It is the same frame as the PT9** guns. Just shorter......
Its a nice gun for a .380.....Shoot well

George Hill
April 20, 2003, 12:19 PM
Looks like it will fit the bill, and give you a good factory warranty.
Go for it and tell us what you think of it.

I was thinking that thing would make a lovely 9MM.

The Mighty Beagle
April 20, 2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks so much for the replies, folks.

The Taurus website is somewhat misleading in their description, implying it's a "smaller version". It's not really smaller, just more compact.

That really stinks that if it is only a blow-back, but it may explain why they list this model as being some 6 ounces HEAVIER than the the bigger PTxxx guns.

If it's a blow-back, I'll probably just forget about it. Anybody out there have one?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody have experience with the TAURUS PT938?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!