Quick question about forends

PDA

owenbright
April 1, 2006, 12:12 PM
Why do the "sport" models have longer forends compared to the "police or tactical" models?

What do you guys use?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick question about forends" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred Fuller
April 1, 2006, 01:18 PM
The 'field' or long forearms are more accomodating to a greater range of sizes among shooters. People with shorter arms don't have to reach out so far to grasp the forearm, and find the gun easier to support with a bent support arm rather than having to reach almoststraight out to grasp a shorter forearm. And I have a feeling the execs at the manufacturers think they look sleeker as well.

I prefer the short police style forearm simply because it makes admin chores easier, and I have no trouble reaching it. I shoot 870s by choice, with the action open as it has to be to empty the magazine by manipulating the left shell stop the field type forearm covers part of the loading port and is in the way. The short police style forearm does not cover any of the loading port and makes it easy to download the magazine by manipulating the shell stop. It is also possible to use the shooting hand thumb as a magazine cutoff when the action is opened, stopping a round from feeding out of the magazine onto the lifter. You can't stick the tip of your thumb up into the loading port, block the magazine and fully open the action with a field type forearm- it would hurt you.

lpl/nc

owenbright
April 2, 2006, 01:27 AM
I'm having trouble understing that.. :confused:
Thanks.

justsurvivingincalifornia
April 6, 2006, 07:19 AM
One reason they are shorter is to not get in the way of folding stocks. At least that what Choate says. They make side folders for rem 870 moss500/590 and win 1300.

justsurvivingincalifornia
April 7, 2006, 03:31 PM
The reason is no jamming. Designed not to overlap the shotgun’s receiver when cycling the pump action. Eliminates the chance of a momentary jam by a sling, clothing or other material catching between the standard forend and the receiver.

Advanced Technology Inc says that about their forend in their catalog.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick question about forends" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!