Learned something today...

PDA

angry_platypus
April 20, 2003, 10:32 AM
I'm really a lot more situationally aware than I thought. I used to think I was pretty oblivious and running in white all the time, people would surprise me from time to time and such, I wouldn't know they were coming until they were well within the 21 foot comfort zone. Now it seems that maybe I was just expecting too much from myself. I work at a mid-size department store (only job I could get, being 16 and all that) and lately I've been amazed at just how oblivious people are. I can easily be within 1 foot of someone, and they won't have the slightest idea I'm there until I say 'excuse me' and then they almost hit the cieling when they jump. Sometimes I can't help but think to myself 'Wow, I could've come up and killed that person and they never would have even seen it coming.' Are these people exceptionally oblivious, or am I right in thinking that I just expected too much from myself?

If you enjoyed reading about "Learned something today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
April 20, 2003, 11:00 AM
From what I've seen, people in stable countries tend mostly to live in Condition White. By and large, nothing bad has ever happened to them, and probably never will. They thus tend to focus on some narrow view as they wander along--whether on the sidewalk or in a store. The caveat is that some will be situational in their awareness of the world around them. The store is perceived as a safe zone, while out on the street is not.

Some of us do more thinking about the "what ifs" of life, and move into Condition Yellow as a way of life. This puts us more on a par with the average citizenry in places like Israel.

Seems to me that Condition Yellow is much like that of the everyday housecat. Housecats are not known for either paranoia or ulcers, but they're hard to sneak up on. You train yourself into using your ears as well as your eyes, and you pick up the habit of looking around you to see who's doing what to whom. It takes a bit of doing and a bit of time, but it's not difficult.

Art

4v50 Gary
April 20, 2003, 11:39 AM
What Art sez. Most folks in their own environment are in "white" and dunno wot going down.

cool45auto
April 20, 2003, 11:40 AM
Hence the term "sheeple."

ENC
April 20, 2003, 11:49 AM
The fact that you even think about your own situational awareness probably elevates you to condition yellow.

The other night I was walking home from class (about a mile), for about the last half of the way I picked up on someone following me. A male about my size. The thing was he was matching my steps. Like walking the exact same path. Crossing roads where I did and everything. As I got closer to my apartment building I started getting the heebeejeebee's. At this point he was like only 12 feet behind me. Right hand goes into the pocket and around the Gerber. Left hand pulls out my extra set of keys (yes I carry an extra set everywhere). I twirl the keys for about four steps then "accidentally" drop them. I turn around and kneel to pick them up really quick. The individual just keeps on walking doesn't even make eye contact, he was listening to a walkman. He goes into an apartment in the building next to mine.

Was I being paranoid? Yeah probably

Was I wrong in paranoid? No

WhoKnowsWho
April 20, 2003, 12:30 PM
With the expectation that police will always be where they are needed, most people have gotten back into a mode where they thing going out is just as safe as staying at home. Sadly, it isn't, but at least, it isn't like an attack is occuring in the same public areas daily.

I can't wait to do my CCW class, then I can feel a little more secure when I am out and about.

Ala Dan
April 20, 2003, 12:43 PM
Greeting's All-

FWIW, I have noticed that young (18-30) year old
females tend to take thing's (world occurences and
event's) with a "grain of salt" attitude; thinking
that there safety will always be O.K., and not
paying particular attention to their surrounding's. At
least this is common place in my area of the country!

Perhaps they DO NOT realize that thing's can happen
in a flash; and they would not know it until its too late.
I have not conducted any kind'a study; but I would be
willing to bet that most of them would prefer a
cell phone, as opposed to a handgun?:uhoh: The cell
phone is a good secondary thing to have; but it
certainly leaves a lot to be desired by serving as your
primary instrutment of well being!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Preacherman
April 20, 2003, 01:16 PM
Right on, AD. Two versions of cellphone use. First, for sheeple:

Dial, dial, ring, ring...
"Help, 911!!! I was just attacked and raped! Get me a doctor! Get me a nurse! Get me a psychiatrist! Get me a pastor! Why weren't the cops here to protect me? HELP!"

Second, for THR'ers and like-minded folks:

Dial, dial, ring, ring...
"Hello, 911? I want to report an attempted rape. Shots fired, suspect down. Please send the coroner and the police to this address. No, there's no need to hurry..."

:D

blades67
April 20, 2003, 01:46 PM
The average person is more unaware than you might think. I was talking to a police officer in my apartment complex last night, about the folks they had been called to come "talk" to, for about 15 minutes. As his partner came out of the apartment I turned at the sound of the door to my right and then looked back at the officer to see a look of complete suprise as he had just noticed my Tu-Tone P220, which had been in plain view the entire time. It suprised him because he hadn't noticed it until then.:scrutiny:

Ala Dan
April 20, 2003, 02:31 PM
Excellent choice there blades 67 my friend; I will
second that motion, as there is absolutely nothing that
will compare to a "Professional" armed with a .45
caliber SIG-Sauer P220!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

If you enjoyed reading about "Learned something today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!