PT-145 Strange burn mark on cases and weird primer strike

PDA

old4x4
April 2, 2006, 08:53 PM
What's up with this strange burn mark? They're from a moderate load for my PT-145 w/a Ranier 200 gr FP. Accurate and the gun functions flawless, but I'm just wondering what causes it.
Also, do your primer strikes look like this (assuming you also have a Taurus PT-145)

If you enjoyed reading about "PT-145 Strange burn mark on cases and weird primer strike" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RecoilRob
April 2, 2006, 09:42 PM
Well, the case discoloration is most likely caused by too low a pressure to expand the case enough to seal against the chamber.

I'd try bumping the charge up a bit and see if it doesn't improve on things.

Firing pin mark looks like the beginning of FP wipe where the barrel unlocks a bit early while the FP is still extended. Might be helped by increasing the charge as suggested above as this will help keep the case stuck to the chamber wall when the action begins to move and unlock.

mrapathy2000
April 2, 2006, 10:11 PM
nothing wrong or bad. it happens with lots of ammo and guns. bump the charge up and it can go away.

I have seen much worse firing pin marks than that imagine the firing pin scraping good into the casehead.

old4x4
April 3, 2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the answers. This is a great resource!

Dave R
April 4, 2006, 08:15 PM
My PT-145 cases and firing pin marks look just like those.

old4x4
April 5, 2006, 01:10 AM
Dave, THAT'S the other answer I was looking for. They must all do that.

SingleStack
April 6, 2006, 12:07 PM
How old (number of rounds) and what's the rating in pounds of your recoil spring? The 'skidding' of your firing pin on the primer could be caused by the gun unlocking too early after firing. If this is the case, it can be remedied with a heavier or new recoil spring, which is an inexpensive fix

old4x4
April 8, 2006, 11:04 PM
I've probably put 4-500 rounds thru it and it's the factory spring. I haven't the foggiest idea what the # rating is. I can crank 'em up, but they're for plinking/practice and my full tilt Gold Dot reloads do the same thing....

armoredman
April 8, 2006, 11:09 PM
Had the exact same thing with powder puff loads in my CZ PO1. Too light a load. Have fun playing with your loads again!

SingleStack
April 11, 2006, 11:56 AM
Factory standard (in Mil. Spec. .45's) springs are 16 lbs. You can buy a 'spring pack' from some manufacturers of aftermarket accessories for the .45 ACP. The pack has a range of recoil spring weights and you can choose the one that's right for your gun and load. They're usually about $20 to $30. Brownell's has them here: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16562&title=1911+AUTO+RECOIL+SPRING

If you enjoyed reading about "PT-145 Strange burn mark on cases and weird primer strike" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!