So Long to Winchester

PDA

Erebus
April 3, 2006, 11:56 AM
The plant that made the gun that won the west closes for good.

http://www.michellemalkin.com/mt/oct05-tb.cgi/4240

NOt sure if this was posted yet or not, was offline all weekend.

If you enjoyed reading about "So Long to Winchester" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Seven High
April 3, 2006, 01:37 PM
I read somewhere that other interests are looking at buying Winchester and re opening it. This includes Smith & Wesson. :)

HankB
April 3, 2006, 01:42 PM
I read somewhere that other interests are looking at buying Winchester and re opening it. This includes Smith & Wesson. I won't buy another Model 70 if it has an integral lock.

ArmedBear
April 3, 2006, 01:45 PM
I've never bought a Winchester.

I've had one or more guns from Ruger, Remington, Browning, Weatherby, Thompson/Center, H&R when they made revolvers, Uberti and Mossberg (not counting firearms bought as collectibles or surplus).

Why not?

Ill-conceived feature/caliber selections and high prices (shotguns, bolt-actions, high-end lever guns), or dubious quality (working lever guns). The Featherweight was really nice; for a realistic price I would have bought one instead of my current .30-06 sporter. Or another M70 if they made more of them in desirable calibers, rather than trying to get me to spend $700 to take a chance that their overpriced short-magnum-of-the-week would be available next year (I have no desire or extra real estate to get a reloading setup for a regular hunting rifle).

Savage learned that they couldn't live on their old reputation and name alone, and they're alive and well. It's a pity Winchester didn't learn this. Of course it was foreign-owned and mismanaged from across the pond. Perhaps a new owner will do better.

Lupinus
April 3, 2006, 07:57 PM
winchesters will be back made by someone else, thats all. Winchester is not closed for good as it looks s&w stands a good chance of turning them out.

If you enjoyed reading about "So Long to Winchester" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!