San Antonio, TX - Man Gets 75 Years For Firing At Police Cruiser

PDA

AndyC
April 4, 2006, 01:23 PM
Kennedy Shot 30 Rounds At Officer In March 2005

SAN ANTONIO -- A man who opened fire into a police cruiser a year ago was sentenced Thursday to 75 years in prison.

Michael Kennedy, 49, was stopped by Officer Richard Kunz along Interstate 35 on March 3, 2005.

In the dashboard camera footage obtained by KSAT 12 News, several officers arrived to assist Kunz and swarm Kennedy's vehicle.

Kennedy fired about 30 rounds from an AK-47 gun into Kunz's police cruiser during the shootout. In the end, Kennedy was shot three times.

Kennedy's attorney, Gerry Goldstein, said while he put a great deal of fear into the officer's mind, he believes his client's intentions were not to kill.

"I think the intention was to take his own life," Goldstein said. "After all, at the time he was shot, he had his back to the officers. He had two cans of leaking gasoline between him and the trunk, and he sat there and waited (for) the officers' fire. I don't think that's the act of someone who is continuing to place an officer's life in danger."

Goldstein believes Kennedy deserves a strict sentence, but felt 75 years is too much.

Source (http://www.ksat.com/news/8372867/detail.html?subid=22100443&qs=1;bp=t)

If you enjoyed reading about "San Antonio, TX - Man Gets 75 Years For Firing At Police Cruiser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Daniel T
April 4, 2006, 02:05 PM
So....no one died, and he got 75 years...

Huh.

Erebus
April 4, 2006, 02:13 PM
FOr a 49 year old man that's life.

MechAg94
April 4, 2006, 02:40 PM
Was the 75 cumulative for multiple charges?

ArmedBear
April 4, 2006, 02:49 PM
If you shoot someone several times, it is ridiculous to assert that you didn't mean to kill anyone.

ElTacoGrande
April 4, 2006, 02:53 PM
If the defense attorney's statements are correct, this really does sound like an attempted "blue suicide". As for the punishment, if someone fired 30 rounds into my car, that person would not be getting 75 years I bet.

Kinda like that Congresswoman who just punched a security guard (LEO I believe) and was allowed to leave the scene. If I punched a sworn Federal officer of some kind I would not able to post on THR for a long long time.

Azrael256
April 4, 2006, 03:02 PM
While the sentence may be harsh (I say "may" because I don't think it really is), there was a simple way to avoid it. Try not shooting at cops, and you're less likely to spend 75 years in prison.

ArmedBear
April 4, 2006, 03:10 PM
I think this is a case for which I saw the video. This guy led cops on a chase all over the place, endangered countless people's lives, then shot someone.

Okay, maybe he'd only get 6 months for raping a dozen babies, but two wrongs don't make a right. This sentence was justified.

Art Eatman
April 4, 2006, 03:19 PM
It certainly suggest things one should not do in San Antonio on an otherwise dull and boring afternoon...

:D, Art

Standing Wolf
April 4, 2006, 03:58 PM
I'll bet he won't try that again very soon.

Shipwreck
April 4, 2006, 05:52 PM
Well, if prosecuted correctly, it fits into a category of offense (because of the weapon) where the def must serve 1/2 of the sentence before he is eligible for parole.

ElTacoGrande
April 4, 2006, 06:02 PM
Just to be clear from my comments above: The guy fired 30 rounds at a car which also happened to be a police car. It's good that he's getting serious jail time for that. But 70 years? Even 2nd degree murderers don't get 70 years. Murder 1 vs murder 2 depends on state of mind, and it sounds like this guy's state of mind was more about suicide than about killing with malice and aforethought.

beerslurpy
April 4, 2006, 07:17 PM
<Unnecessary bash removed by Art>

If someone wounded me or outright KILLED me they would barely serve a tenth of that time unless they got the death penalty (25 to life is 8.3 with good behavior) . If a cop killed me, he probably wouldnt even get jail time unless he got caught on camera.

Cuda
April 4, 2006, 07:26 PM
Gotta love Texas justice...

C

ElTacoGrande
April 4, 2006, 07:37 PM
John Hinkley Jr, who successfully SHOT then-President Reagan, and nearly killed him (would have if it hadn't been a 22), and did in fact cause brain damage and paralysis to James Brady, is now "out and about" for occasional unsupervised family visits. This guy, who is presumably mentally ill and managed to squeeze off 30 rounds at a cruiser, will only leave that prison in a box.

Zero_DgZ
April 4, 2006, 07:39 PM
That's still pretty dim...

ball3006
April 5, 2006, 10:48 AM
the cops return fire? From the article, there were several of them on the scene........Then again, maybe a bunch of the holes in the car were from the cop's guns. I reserve the right to critique as I used to walk the walk and talk the talk.....chris3

Joe Sacco
April 5, 2006, 11:08 AM
Gerry Goldstein is the Bill Kunstler of South Texas. The guy was stopped for a routine traffic offense on the interstate. There was no chase. There was only one officer present. He was fired on without warning or provocation while walking up to the violator's car. The defendant emptied a semi-auto pistol and then an AK. The cop fired 16 shots and hit the defendant 3 times. The officer was doing his job.

Most of us seldom, if ever, put ourselves willingly in situations that are potentially life threatening. Police do it every day. Most police injuries or deaths on duty occur during routine matters; car stops, domestic complaints etc. While some individual police officers may be imperfect, as a class they represent the will of society and do, indeed, protect and serve. As such it is particularly egregious when they are attacked without cause. Best, Joe

TexasRifleman
April 5, 2006, 02:13 PM
It's good that he's getting serious jail time for that. But 70 years? Even 2nd degree murderers don't get 70 years.

It's OK. You are from California. It's a Texas thing, you wouldn't understand.....:evil:

Cops as his target or not, this guy will serve serious time here for what he did as it should be.

ElTacoGrande
April 5, 2006, 02:53 PM
But how could shooting up a car, which resulted in no injuries, and had no "malice aforethought", be more serious than, saying, committing murder?

LawDog
April 5, 2006, 05:53 PM
Again, we see that the pigs are more equal than the other animals.

Oh, that was cute. Working the pig reference in there was precious. Hope it gave you the warm fuzzies.

Y'all don't like the sentence, or you think the sentence was unfair -- take it up with the jury of citizens who set the sentence.

You know, I'm against using the term 'civilians' for non-LEO folks, I think that it creates unnecessary barriers, but reading this crap on the internet day in and day out is sure making me rethink my position.

Y'all have already got the barriers there, what does it make a difference what I think?

I've about had enough of this.

LawDog

Joe Sacco
April 5, 2006, 05:57 PM
You're right, he didn't hurt anybody, but the video shows that he started shooting from inside his car as the cop approached. He cop immediately runs to the passengers side of the patrol car. The guy gets out of his car and continues to fire from in front of the drivers side fender. So, he is about 20-25 feet from the police car looking back into the headlights and bar lights. It can be inferred that he didn't see exactly where the cop was and peppered the car.

Whatever his grievence or state of mind, it is clear that the officer under attack is not the proximate cause of his anger. Whatever you think of the police, it is clear that this guy is seroiusly nuts and needs to be removed from society, hence, perhaps, at least part of the motivation for the long sentence. Living in the community, I know that I wouldn't want to be a neighbor whose dog made a doo-doo on this guys lawn.

As TexaSIG man implies, if he had killed the cop he'd be over in the Ellis unit of the TDC waiting for his needle. " Occhio per occhio, dente per dente" Best, Joe

Reno
April 5, 2006, 09:25 PM
LawDog, is there some reason we can't "take it up" with the beneficiaries of legislation that makes them a legal class above the rest of us? You've got plenty of folks lobbying for you folks, who fight to make anyone opposed to special-class status look like wackos to the general population. There's also a very vicious cycle of "you don't respect us so we won't respect you," and it seems to me that a moderator of The High Road should be trying to break it rather than perpetuate it.

Looking forward to your response, civilian.

whm1974
April 5, 2006, 09:49 PM
Looking forward to your response, civilian.

Police Officers are CIVILIANS.

-Bill

pax
April 5, 2006, 09:52 PM
Go troll elsewhere, guys. THR ain't the place for it.

pax

If you enjoyed reading about "San Antonio, TX - Man Gets 75 Years For Firing At Police Cruiser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!