To scope or not to scope?

PDA

synoptic
April 20, 2003, 10:42 PM
I have a .22 browning t-bolt and I have thrown around the idea of putting a scope on it. Nothing major, just like a $30 or so scope. Is it worth it? Or should I go with either an expensive scope or none at all? It wouldn't be used for any major shooting competitions, just target practice at the range and such...

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "To scope or not to scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bowlcut
April 20, 2003, 10:48 PM
Go grab ya a little scope and a bipod. Makes such a gun sooooo much fun. It had been years since I shot a 22 rifle till I grabed Darrin's one day. Holy crap that thing makes you feel like a sniper. Little scope and bipod I was picking off anything and everything I pointed at at 50 yards. Last 22 I had shot was with open sights that were accurate for everyone but me. But you dont have to spend an arm and a leg for a 22. 50 buck scope and rings and 20 dollar bipod or sand bag, 10 dollars for few hundred rounds and go have a blast ALLLLLL day

4 eyed six shooter
April 21, 2003, 06:41 PM
Go out and try shooting it with and without the scope. Which ever way is best for you works.

telewinz
April 21, 2003, 07:08 PM
For a rifle of that quality I'd put a GOOD scope on it and try shooting at 75 or 100 yards. Just about any decent .22 rifle groups well at 25 or 50 yards. Excellent .22's will group an inch at 75 and 100 yards provided there is no wind. I've got a Remington 541S with a Redfield 4X12 scope and control mounts. In late July and the month of August, it will shoot 1" groups with non-match ammo. Use nail polish to mark the different dial settings on your scope for 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards. After the first 50 yards there is a great deal of bullet drop every 25 yards increase in range thereafter.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "To scope or not to scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!